New Bass Fisherman needs Advice

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

New Bass Fisherman needs Advice

Postby dukkiller2012 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:45 am

Hey guys. im gettin ready to fish now that huntings over and i wanted to try for some bass this year. i've caught them on accident before but never rigged up for them and wanted to kno how. i've seen guys use hard baits, soft baits, buzz baits and all that and i wanted to kno if theres a reason they switch, like time of year, or theyre just switchin it up.
Thanks
dukkiller2012
hunter

Re: New Bass Fisherman needs Advice

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:53 am

Turn it on espn or the outdoor channel and watch some FLW or Bassmasters tournaments and listen to the advice they give. I've been bass fishing for 20 years and still leanr sumthing new everytime I go.

For the most part people use topwater and buzz baits during early morning and late afternoon when its calm out. After it warms up use a worm or hard bait during most of the day. I only use crank baits and the like during the winter in deeper water. During spring stick to the shallows and throw a Zoom trick worm in pumklin seed or sumthin similar that has a small profile and doesn't splash alot when ur fishing cover in shallower water. During summer the action speeds up a little so you can just about throw anything. when its hot out go deep water with jigs or texas rigged worms.

Bass like cover so find it most of the time and you'll be good. Also anywhere there's a differance in the water depth, like dropoff's and deep spots close to shallower water.

What state are you fishing in??? I grew up fishing in FL but now that I'm in CO bass fishing is tough.

hope this helps :beer:
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby BPShunter » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:44 am

Buy a pile of soft plastics (flukes, senkos, worms, etc.) They'll catch fish anytime and most anywhere. Good luck. You got spawn coming up and its a great time to catch big fish.

BPShunter
Jax's retrieves 2013-2014

Mallards - 30
Wood duck - 15 (1 band)
Gadwall - 32
Pintail - 0
Widgeon - 2
Ring neck - 1
Shoveler - 0
GW Teal - 2
BPShunter
hunter

Postby dukkiller2012 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:25 am

thanks for the help boys. i live on the only island city in iowa :hi: , look it up if your bored sometime. i got 3 lakes on the west side of the island and the mississippi to the north, east and south. you can catch about any gamefish if you try and i have seen some of the bass these guys find so i wanted to try it out.
dukkiller2012
hunter

Postby dukkiller2012 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:38 am

about how many of each type of bait should i have. the plastics i think ill get a bunch but would like 2-4 of the others work? and has anyone ever tried that bait mug or bucket from cabelas?
dukkiller2012
hunter

Postby dukkiller2012 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:50 am

sorry to keep askin more and more but i keep gettin lost. there are a ton of baits to pick from. you guys have any favorites or kno any good beginner ones for me to pick up.
dukkiller2012
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:36 pm

start w/ a handful of baits. brush hogs (creature bait, fish it texas rig w/ wide gap hook and bullet weight)

senkos (soft plastic, fish it texas rig, weightless)

trick worms (you can rig these wacky style by hooking them in the middle of the worm; weightless)

spinnerbait (better when overcast or other low light conditions)

try some of those and try to find some bass fisherman next time you're out and pick their brains.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby dukkiller2012 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Thanks bayou, thats exactly the answer i needed. there are a thousand baits and they all dont look to bad in a catalog.
dukkiller2012
hunter

Postby BPShunter » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:20 pm

With soft plastic colors you cant go wrong with watermelon red or black. Look at the forage in the lake and match it. Bass primarily feed on shad, bream, and crawfish. Find out what they are hitting and match it as far as size and color.

BPShunter
Last edited by BPShunter on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jax's retrieves 2013-2014

Mallards - 30
Wood duck - 15 (1 band)
Gadwall - 32
Pintail - 0
Widgeon - 2
Ring neck - 1
Shoveler - 0
GW Teal - 2
BPShunter
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:05 pm

With the spawn coming up i'd use a 6-8 inch lizard. The bass want the salamanders out of their bed because they eat there eggs. THe bass will pick up the bait and try to kill it then spit it out. I like 8 inch black worms and dark jigs for the big bass all year
duckman27
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:59 pm

Choosing baits can be very, very, confusing and difficult, especially when there is 10,000 colors available of one paticular bait and 1,000,000 sizes of the same bait.....:yes: I'd stick to some basics first starting off,..While presentation is important, so is how you fish what you present....two groups..Fast retrieval and Slow moving retrieval

Light and dark colors for overcast/bright days...
Warm waters/cold waters, = faster or slower running baits, ie,..sluggish or motivated fish.../suspended, bottom feeding, surface feeding = slow...plastic worms etc., suspended fish,..jigs/spoons/crankbaits,...surface feeding (warmer waters),..Buzzbaits, topwater plugs etc.,

It would be good to know what fish are actually feeding on in a body of water which would help to determine shape/size/and more definitive colors to get.

All baits have a certain speed,..to be figured while fishin',...it's how the fish want it , and you'll figure that out soon enough :beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ajgall1055 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:51 am

Soft plastics are the way to go for the beginning bass fisher. The are easy to use and usually produce pretty goos results. With a little patience you'll be posting pictures of hogs up here in no time.
Ajgall1055
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:51 pm

Looks like you have already been given some pretty good advice. Soft plastics are the way to go most of the time. My suggestion would be for a new bass fisherman is to start simple. Select a few of each of these types of lures, and learn to use them. Spiner baits-1 chartruse 1 white. Plastic worms- my personel favorite is zoom in motor oil chartruse. Red shad is another go to color. Top waters- Zara Spooks have never failed me, a couple of popers, and a white buzz bait. Crank baits- A Rapala Shad Rap 6' diver in silver and black. Lipless crank baits- Rattle traps. Silver/black back and a silver/blue back. These are good locator baits. You build yourself a small tackle box like this without nine thousand lures to chose from and learn to fish them you will get the hang of it pretty soon. I myself probably have a couple thousand lures, but when the fishing gets tough I allways turn back to my go to lures. Use the light/natural colors in clear water and the brighter or darker colors in stained water and you can't go wrong. Good luck and when you get the hang of it, take a kid fishing.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:09 pm

early spring white spinnerbaits work great.black & blue pig and jig's,my all time favorite worm is a blue fleck 7" worm can't beat it.there are lots of baits to choose from and styles to fish.you will have to find out your strengh's and weakness.pratice 1 method at a time.slow is better.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby jasper » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Early season I am a fan of tubes with weedless hooks and lip less crank baits. I also use them all year. I don't switch to spinners or buzz baits until the water warms up and the fish are more active. As said before early morning, late afternoon for top water baits. This was last fall just before sunset on a white buzz bait. For color I like blue and silver all year but seems to do great in early colder water for me. Next would be white, chartreuse then red/black.

jasper
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:35 am

Any style soft plastic worm will catch fish. 6 or 7" are a good start. I prefer Zoom brand over all others. Green pumpkin, watermellon, junebug, motor oil and pumpkinseed with any flake combination will work. Use the translucent colors in clear water and the solid colors in stained water. Like Bayouboy said, brush hogs are great baits. And like someone else said, so are tube baits. If you don't know how to rig them, ask at the bait shop or store where you buy them (as long as you don't buy them at Walmart). I like tube jigs with a 3/16 or 1/4 ounce jig head inserted inside for early fishing before the weeds get thick, especially in clearer water. These will catch fish anywhere, year round if you can keep them from getting snagged too much. When they get hooked on weeds, snap them off real hard a couple times, then let 'em fall. Don't try to fish them with an open jig hook around wood.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Hawk » Mon May 24, 2010 10:57 pm

K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid. this acronym is used everywhere.
Barney#1 wrote:Looks like you have already been given some pretty good advice. Soft plastics are the way to go most of the time. My suggestion would be for a new bass fisherman is to start simple. Select a few of each of these types of lures, and learn to use them. Spinner baits-1 chartreuse 1 white. Plastic worms- my personnel favorite is zoom in motor oil chartreuse. Red shad is another go to color. Top waters- Zara Spooks have never failed me, a couple of poppers, and a white buzz bait. Crank baits- A Rapala Shad Rap 6' diver in silver and black. Lipless crank baits- Rattle traps. Silver/black back and a silver/blue back. These are good locater baits. You build yourself a small tackle box like this without nine thousand lures to chose from and learn to fish them you will get the hang of it pretty soon. I myself probably have a couple thousand lures, but when the fishing gets tough I always turn back to my go to lures. Use the light/natural colors in clear water and the brighter or darker colors in stained water and you can't go wrong. Good luck and when you get the hang of it, take a kid fishing.
:thumbsup: excellent advice. K.I.S.S.I would also look for sites like this .http://home.comcast.net/~rkrz/infoarch/fyicarol.htm basic instruction on how to.
I fish in northern parts of Wisc. 75% of the time I used a the CR. my main colors in worms are watermelon, June-bug.**** Green-Pumpkin***** (favorite) anything green is a sure bet for a bite from a Bass. Northern lake have weed lines. this is where I concentrate most of my fishing in. (Bass relate to structure. this cover be anything from rocks to docks, trees, lillypads to reeds, humps, cribs, brush piles to Christmas trees). these weed-line provide excellent cover.. sunny days they'll be on the deep-side of the weeds. cloudy day on top of the weed-line. spinner-baits are good for those days. early and late afternoon b4 and when the sun is low. top water is a sure blast when they're active. If you plan to fish the mighty Mississippi. research it. whole different ball-game when current is involved. IMO current fishing is easier, due the fact fish are more active. An easy way to catch Bass on top water is a floating Rapala in the perch color in Northern waters. Simple enough to teach kids and beginners to the How-to-approach. That method still applies to me today. Enough ramblin' Good luck this year and please don't hesitate to ask for more info.
Butt- Belly- Beak- Boom
Hawk
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu May 27, 2010 9:00 am

Lots of good advice floating around. There are a handful of fishing methods that I use routinely and have confidence in all of them.

1) Weightless Senko or Tiki Stick (same thing, but tiki sticks are cheaper) I catch fish year round with this. Black and blue works in just about any clarity, but better for dingy water. I also like fishing watermelon with red flecks which I use in clearer water and also in dingy. I think the technique used to fish it is more important than the color.

If the wind picks up, you can either carolina rig it, or just put a split shot a 12-18 inches above the hook.

2) Bass Jigs. I prefer black and blue or pumpkin craw colors. depending on the body of water and the wind, I'll use 1/8oz jigs all the way up to 3/4oz jigs depending on the situation. I honestly feel use the lightest weight you can get away with, but depending on the wind, bass activity, and cover I'm fishing, I'll go heavier.

those two ( i guess you could say three) are my favorite ways to fish for bass and work year round. If I had a third, texas rig worm would be it. I also love spinner baits, like some have said have a chartreuse and a white one. Crankbaits, both divers and lip-less, have a place too.

I think buzzbaits and other topwater baits are fun, but I find them to be very conditional in regards to conditions they can be used. I do keep buzzbaits on hand, but they spend most of their time in my tackle box.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:11 pm

.....I think Fred Arbogast was a genius...I can't help but to keep a simple Hula Popper and a purty Jitterbug in my box. When they get surrounded with the new stuff that's on the market, I reflect back to the days when these were the only topwater baits to use if you "wanted to catch fish",.. along with Tom Manns' "Jellyworm".. which was the "cats' meow",..dang , gettin' old aint' we G.S.? :beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri May 28, 2010 10:04 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:.....I think Fred Arbogast was a genius...I can't help but to keep a simple Hula Popper and a purty Jitterbug in my box. When they get surrounded with the new stuff that's on the market, I reflect back to the days when these were the only topwater baits to use if you "wanted to catch fish",.. along with Tom Manns' "Jellyworm".. which was the "cats' meow",..dang , gettin' old aint' we G.S.? :beer:

I don't feel that old, but I guess I was raised on hula poppers, jitterbugs, and tiny torpedo's. I remember going out with my dad and brother, using my zebco reel, and catching fish on those baits early in the morning during the spring and summer. Used to give the fish in my great grandma's pond a workout with them. I might still have a few old ones in a tackle box at my parents place somewhere.

I hadn't thought about those baits in a long time until a younger guy that I fish with (21 year old) brought a hula popper with him one day while we were fishing. Apparently he'd never used one, so I had to show him how to fish it, and be patient with it. He got a few bites, but he kept reacting to the "swirl" and not the "tug". It was fun to watch none the less. :beer:
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Fishing