need help on bass rod

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

need help on bass rod

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:13 pm

hey guys, other than being just a person that fishes usually on the weekend for fun, dont know what im doin, just havin fun with my family. i would like to get into bass fishin kinda hardcore. what i was wandering is what is a rod that is really durable and beginner friendly.

thanks!
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Re: need help on bass rod

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:35 am

First, what kind of reel's do you use? Do you use open faced reels, spinning reels? How long have you been fishing.

Ideally you have a different rod for each application and depending on your style of fishing, maybe multiple rods for each application. This article is pretty good at describing different rod types and applications. For the Money, Berkley Lightning Rods are pretty descent. I have some $100+ dollar graphite rods and some Berkley rods and I think for the price the lightning rods perform pretty well. For all of my rods, I prefer solid, 1 piece rods. I hate two piece rods unless I'm trying to pack them in somewhere. I also prefer long handles on my rods, but that is more of a preference.

As you can see from that article, and if you watch fishing shows on TV, you'll notice most bass fisherman have multiple rods for different situations. I would suggest at least having two rod's and reels, but you'll find overtime that you'll want more. I would get at least one medium action rod for a spinning reel, and one Med-heavy action rod for an open faced bait casting reel. Med-heavy isn't ideal for thick cover, but its a jack of all trades kind of rod that you can get by with if you don't want to have 3-4 different rod's and reel's. I personally like shimano reels, and have used their lower to mid-grade reels and have been reasonably satisfied with both.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:15 am

well ive fished all my life pretty much just like for fun. i have a bass pro rod but i am looking more for a reel. i have a cheap walmart reel. like a spincast reel. im looking into a openface, but dont know what kind to get.
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:48 pm

ILgoosehunter12 wrote:well ive fished all my life pretty much just like for fun. i have a bass pro rod but i am looking more for a reel. i have a cheap walmart reel. like a spincast reel. im looking into a openface, but dont know what kind to get.

pinnacle makes good reels that won't break your wallet. even the less expensive ones at wal-mart or an abu garcia, get one and learn how to cast them. i suggest getting a set-up you can afford and learning to fish w/ a few basic rigs (worm, spinner bait, crank bait). like duck hunting, you can make bass fishing as expensive as you want. for starting out, maybe a 6.5' rod , med-heavy. your equipment does matter, but when i just started out bass fishing on my own at 12 or so, i had one rod (still use it, 7' lightening rod) and a sigma catfishing reel and i caught a bunch of bass, mostly through trial and error.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:13 pm

bayouboy wrote:
ILgoosehunter12 wrote:well ive fished all my life pretty much just like for fun. i have a bass pro rod but i am looking more for a reel. i have a cheap walmart reel. like a spincast reel. im looking into a openface, but dont know what kind to get.

pinnacle makes good reels that won't break your wallet. even the less expensive ones at wal-mart or an abu garcia, get one and learn how to cast them. i suggest getting a set-up you can afford and learning to fish w/ a few basic rigs (worm, spinner bait, crank bait). like duck hunting, you can make bass fishing as expensive as you want. for starting out, maybe a 6.5' rod , med-heavy. your equipment does matter, but when i just started out bass fishing on my own at 12 or so, i had one rod (still use it, 7' lightening rod) and a sigma catfishing reel and i caught a bunch of bass, mostly through trial and error.

thanks guys!
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:51 am

well i ended up going to walmart last night and getting me a cheaper open face reel. it came with a rod too. its like a Genesis or something. im not sure but im going to learn on it i guess. im ready to do some bass fishin now!!!!!!!!! WOOOOO!

ok, now that i got that little outburst out, i got another question. i want to do some crappie fishin' too. ive been with people that have like the poles and stuff. what i was wandering is what kind of pole do i need to crappie fish? thanks.
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:00 am

ILgoosehunter12 wrote:well i ended up going to walmart last night and getting me a cheaper open face reel. it came with a rod too. its like a Genesis or something. im not sure but im going to learn on it i guess. im ready to do some bass fishin now!!!!!!!!! WOOOOO!

ok, now that i got that little outburst out, i got another question. i want to do some crappie fishin' too. ive been with people that have like the poles and stuff. what i was wandering is what kind of pole do i need to crappie fish? thanks.

a zebco 33 combo is a nice versatile rig for sac-a-lait (crappie) and other panfish. also could be used for catfishing. they have them at wal-mart.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:14 am

bayouboy wrote:
ILgoosehunter12 wrote:well i ended up going to walmart last night and getting me a cheaper open face reel. it came with a rod too. its like a Genesis or something. im not sure but im going to learn on it i guess. im ready to do some bass fishin now!!!!!!!!! WOOOOO!

a zebco 33 combo is a nice versatile rig for sac-a-lait (crappie) and other panfish. also could be used for catfishing. they have them at wal-mart.

i have a little bluegill pole from walmart. like a microcast or something. i love catching bluegill on them. with a small pole like that and a nice size bluegill its a fun little fight. lol. what bait do iuse for crappie?
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:23 am

bayouboy wrote:

If I was going to have one crappie rig, I honestly prefer spinning reels, just b/c I think they're more versatile. I have a Shimano Spinning reel combo with a medium action rod that I use for both crappie and finesse lures for bass fishing. I think I spent $50 on it. Now if I'm putting out multiple poles for crappie or catfish, I have a few cheap $30 spinning reel combos and zebco closed face combo or two I can throw out as well.

I just prefer spinning reels, but own a couple of closed faced b/c I take kids and other people that don't normally fish fairly often.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:58 am

GroundSwatter wrote:
bayouboy wrote:

If I was going to have one crappie rig, I honestly prefer spinning reels, just b/c I think they're more versatile. I have a Shimano Spinning reel combo with a medium action rod that I use for both crappie and finesse lures for bass fishing. I think I spent $50 on it. Now if I'm putting out multiple poles for crappie or catfish, I have a few cheap $30 spinning reel combos and zebco closed face combo or two I can throw out as well.

I just prefer spinning reels, but own a couple of closed faced b/c I take kids and other people that don't normally fish fairly often.

that's true, but for someone that maybe getting into the sport, a good closed-reel is a way to learn, imo. i know a spin cast is a lot easier to use vs bait caster, but i think once you get the casting down in general, then transition to different set-ups, like spin casts.

just saying because those are the types of poles i learned how to fish on and i've introduced my wife into fishing recently, and know that a spin cast would be a mess for her right now, just beginning to learn how to fish (casting).

but you're right, a spin cast would be better, i mostly bass fish, but when i do sac-a-lait fish, i use a 10' jigging pole or a micro-spin trigger reel. i want to try to use my fly rod this spring for them.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

bayouboy
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:14 pm

My wife came with her own spinning reel :lol3: :lol3:

She had a rod and reel when I married her and she is one of those people that is comfortable with her equipment. Now if I hand her one of my spinning reels, somehow its different enough to throw her off.

Like I mentioned, I have several rod's and reels, as I'm sure you do to. I have a couple of closed faced reels that I use for Crappie and Catfish, or I let beginner fishermen/women use them.

I figure if ILGooseHunter is brave enough to try out an open faced bait caster combo, then he can handle a spinning reel. The zebco's definitely have a time and place, but if he is looking for versatility, I like the spinning rods.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:56 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:I figure if ILGooseHunter is brave enough to try out an open faced bait caster combo, then he can handle a spinning reel. The zebco's definitely have a time and place, but if he is looking for versatility, I like the spinning rods.

you're right
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

bayouboy
hunter

Return to Fishing