Reds

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Reds

Postby NCSportsman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:22 am

Just starting to venture out in the ICW and was checking whats the best bait and how to fish for Reds, Strippers, and flounder?
NCSportsman
hunter

Re: Reds

Postby allnighter » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:01 am

I don't know about up there but, in florida we usually use jigs,flukes,and top water. If you are fishing the deeper holes i would use the jigs and flukes. Now if your fishing shallow (1-4) feet then i would use the top waters. No matter what you are using this time of year fish it very slowly. As for colors it really depends on the water if it is dark use dark, if clear use light colors. If you don't have any luck with those you can always seat back a soak some cut bait. Good luck and keep us up to date on you progress.
allnighter
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:46 pm

The biggest reds i've caught have all been on bottom fishing a live 4 inch mullet. I've caught a couple decent ones on shrimp immitations but my best luck has been with the mullet
duckman27
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:32 pm

for reds...cracked crab on the bottom works well...
for flounder, carolina rig a 3" croaker on the bottom next to deep holes with current
stripers are an incidental catch for us...can't help you there other than they feed like bass....top waters, spinners, live bait...it'll all work...trolling deep crank baits works too...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby allnighter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:22 am

I was wondering how long it would take Inda to come along showing of those big Louisiana reds. :lol3: :hammer:
allnighter
hunter

Postby NCSportsman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:26 pm

still haven't made it out yet, waiting for the water temp to warm up alittle. Bought some minnows for some crappie and bluegills but they aint biting yet either. Just bought a new Penn sargus, hope to put it to work soon. Looking forward to catching some trout up in the mountains in April. Ill keep ya'll posted with some pictures.
NCSportsman
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:24 am

allnighter wrote:I was wondering how long it would take Inda to come along showing of those big Louisiana reds. :lol3: :hammer:

That one was caught this past summer-by-catch from snapper fishing...weighted in close to 35 lbs...it had a 12" snapper in it's gullet-tail sticking out....
We haven't been down to fish yet this season...not till after turkey season is over-in late april... :yes: and last week they were gobbling their fool heads off!!! :bow: :thumbsup: I'm fired up!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby allnighter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:06 am

Ya the big reds are schooled up around the wrecks in 60-80feet around us right now. The turkeys a re already gobbling around us also i sat there and listened to one for 20 minutes raising hell friday mourning. Im really.
allnighter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:11 am

allnighter wrote:Ya the big reds are schooled up around the wrecks in 60-80feet around us right now. The turkeys a re already gobbling around us also i sat there and listened to one for 20 minutes raising hell friday mourning. Im really.

what part of florida are you in?? is it Osceola country?? I have a few connections out that way around lakeland...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby allnighter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:24 pm

No Im it the capitol city Tallahasseee. There is some good fishing and hunting down there. They get the snook and we dont with sucks.
allnighter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:48 pm

allnighter wrote:No Im it the capitol city Tallahasseee. There is some good fishing and hunting down there. They get the snook and we dont with sucks.

your about the same latitude as me as far as the turkeys go... :thumbsup: we start up march 14th-can't wait!! first gobbling peak is i full swing right now!! :yes: my buddy's nephew (5 years old) called up his first longbeard with a slate call this past weekend-bird came right in their lap gobbling his fool head off!! the boy has not even shot one yet and he is hooked!! :bow: :yes: (they went out listening and ended up underneath a big ole tom 60 yards away...so they were pinned down and couldn't move...buddy decides to have some fun with him since he was so close to the roost anyways...) the bird pitched out and landed about 100 yards away and came runningto them gobbling like a love struck maniac!! stopped 20 yards out in front and put on a show! spitting and drumming and gobbling!! the boy said it was awesome and when the turkey finally moved off, the boy was shaking so much he couldn't WALK!! :thumbsup: if only it was opening day of the youth season!!! :beer:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby allnighter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Ya I hope they stay hot our season starts March 20th and this redfish talk has me thinking that I might have to dust the reels of a little early this year. I have to do something until turkey season. That is awesome that the little dude got to do that. I never understood all the turkey hip until i had one coming in hot. Then I said to myself damn it there goes all the money that the ducks don't get. :biggrin:
allnighter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:19 pm

allnighter wrote:Ya I hope they stay hot our season starts March 20th and this redfish talk has me thinking that I might have to dust the reels of a little early this year. I have to do something until turkey season. That is awesome that the little dude got to do that. I never understood all the turkey hip until i had one coming in hot. Then I said to myself damn it there goes all the money that the ducks don't get. :biggrin:

I'm obsessed with turkeys!!! I"ve hunted 26 states and i've seen some sights in the turkey woods!!!
Hottest bird I ever heard gobbled over 600 times starting at like 4 a.m. in the morning...and that bird was hair lipped and flopping at 626 am! youth hunt in missouri-boys first turkey....
I have hunted the largest roost in the united states as documented by the NWTF on the colorado river....turkeys would start gobbling at one end and the wave would go all the way up the otherside out of hearing and then come back!!! I have no idea how many toms we saw strutting in a field that day! :eek: now I got chills just anticipating the first gobble of the season!!! Damn!! :yes:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby duckman27 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:53 am

I had some good spots with some big gobblers back home but I moved to CO and got here too late to put in for a turkey tag :sad:
duckman27
hunter

Return to Fishing