Salmon fising in Alaska - help wanted

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Salmon fising in Alaska - help wanted

Postby Irish Duck Hunter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:50 pm

I am doing a little research for a possible salmon fishing trip to Alaska next year (2011) and I would appreciate some advice :help: .
I am interested in doing a mixture of salmon and trout fishing with a trip lasting about a week.

Could you guys tell me whats the best time to go ?
Where are the places (rivers / lakes ) to visit and more importantly are there any places to avoid ?
I am looking for an all in one package deal, accommodation, meals, boats etc and guides. Can you recommend some good but reasonable priced guides / packages ?
What licences etc do I need and how much do they cost ?

If there is anything else you think I should know please tell me.

Looking forward to your replies.
German pointers all the way
Irish Duck Hunter
hunter

Re: Salmon fising in Alaska - help wanted

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:33 pm

This is where we stayed when we went. http://betterfishing.com/ It seems there is a lot of fishing done on the Kenai peninsula and I'm sure there is fishing else where. Right or wrong, this is what we did. Fergie was a nice guy, his cabins were nice enough and had kitchens, so you could cook what you wanted. Fergie booked all the trips for us and its my understanding that they're the same price whether you book them through Fergie or if you book them yourself. I believe the reason we went with Fergie was b/c he was cheaper than a lot of the other guys. He packed a lunch for you every day, then you could go to the grocery store and buy stuff to cook with your fish in the evenings.

We did 1 day of king salmon fishing on the Kenai. I'll be honest and tell you that I felt like that was the biggest tourist trap in the world. There were hundreds of boats on the river and it seemed ridiculous b/c everyone was fishing the same spots and they were all doing the exact same things. I think the Kasilof river only does row boats, no boats with motors, so its less traffic. Its a smaller river so IDK if the King's run as well on that river or not, but it seemed like it would be less crowded. I don't remember what guide service was used, only that Fergie booked it for us.

Also, you can only catch 1 king salmon. They're huge fish, so one king goes a long way, but thats up to you. You will need a King Stamp to fish for King's and that is extra, although I don't know how much.

We did another fly-out Sockeye Salmon Trip. Again, this was kind of like a tourist trap as well. They flew us into some lake and there were a lot of other boats out there with flights coming in and out every few hours. Its my understanding that if the Salmon are running well, you can see grizzley's and some other wild life. The salmon weren't running real well when we went, so the griz weren't out, although we still saw some Black Bears and a couple of moose. The same group does some flyout trout trips as well, and its my understanding these trips have fewer people on the water. Riding in a small plane, especially over a glacier, was the highlight of the trip for me, although the fishing was fun. I don't remember what guide we used, Fergie booked this one for us.

We also did a Halibut trip out of Homer. That was my favorite fishing trip, but it was also the only fishing trip that my entire group caught a limit. I believe the guide was Captain Mike's Charters, and Captain Mike's ship was the Wild Thing.

Is this just a fishing trip or are you sight seeing as well. We went in July, but depending on time of year may depend on what you fish for. We also had my wife and mother along on the trip, so we varied what we did. We took the train from Anchorage to Seward. It was a pretty trip, great sight seeing along the way. They also do fishing trips out of Seward (halibut and silver's), along with sight seeing trips out to the Kenai Fjord National park. We then rented a car and went to Soldotna, which is the closest town to Fergie's. We did our fishing trips out of there, but we also did our Halibut trip in Homer. Homer is a neat town.

Again, this is just what we did, and we've only done it once, so you might want to do some more research on it.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby waldo2382 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:34 am

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/
Alaska is frickin' HUGE! I think the best way to see and fish the state would be to rent a motorhome in Anchorage and and spend a little time in each place. Each place has it's own touch and attitude. The breakdown for the Central Alaska area is kings at the end of May to June 31 in fresh water and year round in salt. Some places let you catch two, some is only one. Reds (sockeye to lower 48'ers) July - end of August and your best bet would to fish the rivers. Silvers from August - September. Halibut is open 11 months a year (closed January) and ling cod opens July 1st . Homer and Seward have all salt water gamefish. If you go to Deep Creek it is a halibut and salmon only deal.
Starting south and working north from Homer there is the Anchor River, Deep Creek, Ninilchick, Kasilof and Kenai rivers. All have kings and silver, not all have reds. For trout, I'd charter a drift boat from Cooper Landing and fish the upper Kenai.
I do a lot of bank fishing for the salmon fishing in the river and since I have my own boat, I don't bother with charters often. I do have a friend that has a top notch operation in Homer for Halibut aboard the Grand Aluetian. He gets his customers from Central Charters and typically runs about $225 per person with is typical for halibut, $260 for halibut/salmon combo and he carries no more than 6 passengers. Most boats are "6 packs."
If I've never been up here, I'd prefer to stay mobile. Heck, even ride the extensive ferry system we have up here. Drive to Whittier and take the ferry to Cordova in late August and witness some epic silver salmon fishing or if you time it right (September 1st is when waterfowl season starts) Cast and blast. That's all I have for now, I may add more later.
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:49 am

Very true. The Kenai is only one small part of the state. My family decided to focus on one section, in the hope we would come back and explore more of it later. Regardless of what you do, there is no way to see it all.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Irish Duck Hunter » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:41 am

I am planning on going out either in June or July, I have decided that I would rather take a guided trip as I have absolute no knowledge of Alaska at all, apart from the fact that its a big wilderness. Ideally I just want to arrive in Achorage hot off the plane from Ireland and be taken to where the fish are, not asking a lot am I :huh: !
I am purely interested in the fresh water fishing and would love to experience some of the countryside / wildlife while I am there. The places I have come across on the internet, see my links, seem expensive but does anyone know if they are worth the expense ?

Through searching the internet I came across a couple of places such as these
http://www.alaskarainbowlodge.com/index.html
http://www.bristolbaylodge.com/about.aspx#bristolbay
http://www.alaska-adventures.net/
http://www.ouzel.com/
German pointers all the way
Irish Duck Hunter
hunter

Return to Fishing