Line Advice

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Line Advice

Postby Bandit29 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:08 am

Looking at getting my firts baitcaster. What line would you experienced guys suggest for using on a baitcast reel for plastic worms, lizards, jigs and spinnerbaits? Was thinking of 12lb. test but not sure of all the different types: mono, fluoro, braid, etc...
Bandit29
hunter

Re: Line Advice

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:25 am

If this is your first open faced bait casting reel, I would hold off on buying the expensive lines.

Monofilament, I feel, is best to learn on because its cheaper and that way if you backlash and have to cut out a birds nest, you aren't cussing about how much money you spent on expensive line. Sure it stretches more and gets weaker when exposed to light and water. It also has memory. However its cheap, and when you are starting out, that may be better.

If you plan to pitch and flip into big cover, you'll want heavier line, around 20lb test mono. If you are finesse fishing relatively clear water, then you'll want lighter line, 10-12lb test mono.

Otherwise, here is a good breakdown of the different lines. http://www.thundermistfishingtips.com/fishing-tackle-gear-equipment/fishing-line/quick-tips-on-monofilament-fluorocarbon-and-braided-fishing-line/

If you use braided line, I would put a fluorocarbon or mono leader on it. Braided sticks out in clear water, and you don't want to be fishing from the shore and have problems breaking your line. If you use fluorocarbon, I would put mono filament backing on it so you don't have to use as much of the expensive stuff.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:If this is your first open faced bait casting reel, I would hold off on buying the expensive lines.

Monofilament, I feel, is best to learn on because its cheaper and that way if you backlash and have to cut out a birds nest, you aren't cussing about how much money you spent on expensive line.

.........+1,..You can bank on having quite a few "professional overruns" of the spool in early use of a levelwind baitcaster untill you get the feel, not to mention not all reels cast the same... :yes: (Groundswatter, how'd ya' like the Prof. overrun stuff hugh?).. :lol3:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:12 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
GroundSwatter wrote:If this is your first open faced bait casting reel, I would hold off on buying the expensive lines.

Monofilament, I feel, is best to learn on because its cheaper and that way if you backlash and have to cut out a birds nest, you aren't cussing about how much money you spent on expensive line.

.........+1,..You can bank on having quite a few "professional overruns" of the spool in early use of a levelwind baitcaster untill you get the feel, not to mention not all reels cast the same... :yes: (Groundswatter, how'd ya' like the Prof. overrun stuff hugh?).. :lol3:

I'll have to remember that next time I have one. No need to be embarrassed, its just a professional overrun.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Fishing