yo yo'n

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

yo yo'n

Postby cuppedup50 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:14 pm

anybody do any yo yo'n? we do it down here and i love it.....was just seein if anybody else likes to yo yo in the spring.
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Re: yo yo'n

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:45 am

Yes ,..I love it cupp'd up. I like to use an X-tra long rod to get over some of the started vegetation,.. :thumbsup:
When I'm not yo yo'in on the water, well,.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9MUw4xhuL0
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby relocatedduckman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:54 am

I only Yo Yo during Yo Yo thon with TNDucks up at reelfoot. Other than that. I never have any time.
relocatedduckman
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:46 pm

yea i really like it 2.......................i need to find the best place 2 buy 2 or 3 dozen for this yr.
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:52 am

anybody know the cheapest place to get some yo yo's?
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:54 pm

got me 2 dozen yo yos the other day from grizzly jig for right around 50 bucks
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby CutEmMS » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:06 pm

we went yo-yo'n this weekend, caught 30 nice channel cats
CutEmMS
hunter

Postby JTR » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:04 am

What is yo-yoing? Up here in the northeast, Yo-Yo'ing pogies (menhaden or bunker, depending on where you are from) is a highly effective, yet controversial technique. It involves taking a dead pogie, shoving a metal rod down the length of the fish to keep it straight, then loading its belly with a weight (think spark plug, 3+ ounce lead sinker, etc...). The pogie is then "Yo-Yo'd" over deep water structure for monster stripers. It is a practice commonly used by commercial striped bass fishermen. The problem is that when you hook a fish, they commonly spit out the bait, leaving a pogie floating around with lead weights and a metal rod stuck in it. When another striper comes along and eats the bait, they will inevitably die from being stuck with a 12" metal rod and big weight.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby CutEmMS » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:56 pm

JTR wrote:What is yo-yoing? Up here in the northeast, Yo-Yo'ing pogies (menhaden or bunker, depending on where you are from) is a highly effective, yet controversial technique. It involves taking a dead pogie, shoving a metal rod down the length of the fish to keep it straight, then loading its belly with a weight (think spark plug, 3+ ounce lead sinker, etc...). The pogie is then "Yo-Yo'd" over deep water structure for monster stripers. It is a practice commonly used by commercial striped bass fishermen. The problem is that when you hook a fish, they commonly spit out the bait, leaving a pogie floating around with lead weights and a metal rod stuck in it. When another striper comes along and eats the bait, they will inevitably die from being stuck with a 12" metal rod and big weight.

This is a traditional yo-yo fishing reel....Its a reel which is spring loaded with a latch that allows you to set line depth. What you do, is you is tie it to a post, pier, or the most common way to a tree limb hanging over the water. You set the depth and latch the reel. when the fish bites, it trips the latch off and the spring loaded reel sets the hook. Its better to put it on a limb rather than a post because the limb has more give which gives a little more resistance to the fish. What i like about them is you can run large quanities. And they are in a fixed place. Thats the best way i can explain it.....
CutEmMS
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:56 pm

JTR wrote:What is yo-yoing? Up here in the northeast, Yo-Yo'ing pogies (menhaden or bunker, depending on where you are from) is a highly effective, yet controversial technique. It involves taking a dead pogie, shoving a metal rod down the length of the fish to keep it straight, then loading its belly with a weight (think spark plug, 3+ ounce lead sinker, etc...). The pogie is then "Yo-Yo'd" over deep water structure for monster stripers. It is a practice commonly used by commercial striped bass fishermen. The problem is that when you hook a fish, they commonly spit out the bait, leaving a pogie floating around with lead weights and a metal rod stuck in it. When another striper comes along and eats the bait, they will inevitably die from being stuck with a 12" metal rod and big weight.

Very Effective Technique:thumbsup: :thumbsup: We modified the metal rod and weight so that they are attched to the mainline via a tagline from the hook, we didn't loose a single rig this year.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckhuntnfl » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:53 pm

the yo yo's we use dont have a spring, basically a hand line. but we catch groupers snappers and amberjack on them. our main line is 100-125 lb
A stork may bring u a baby but a swallow never will
it was dark.....i was drunk....i thought she was you!!!!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
duckhuntnfl
hunter

Postby rabbitdundied » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:09 pm

This is easily my favorite way to fish. Hang 100 or so lines and build a fire, drink beer and run yo yos all night long. You can clean up on crappie if you know what you are doing.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Return to Fishing