Rods: Backbone vs. Feel

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Rods: Backbone vs. Feel

Postby Bandit29 » Sun May 16, 2010 9:31 pm

Wanting to get a good rod, for fishing jigs, plastic worms, carolina rigs, etc.. My question is should I concentrate more on a backbone (medheavy or heavy) or more for feel like a medium rod?
Bandit29
hunter

Re: Rods: Backbone vs. Feel

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon May 17, 2010 7:10 am

If you are fishing with Bass Jigs, Texas Rigged Worms, Carolina Rigged worms, or even weightless worms, you will need a rod with some back bone in order to set the hook. IMO Medium action is just too light for this. You would want at least Med-Heavy and if you're fishing these things in heavy cover like Tree tops, Heavy might be a good option.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:50 pm

H&H coustom rods make great rod they are out of Houston TX. the med. heavy are good for what you want they give you great feel and back bone
clemaire2
hunter

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:43 pm

i go for feel, but i live in nebraska i rarely catch one over 6 lbs so knowing when to set the hook is more important than ripping lips off, i also use my rod as kind of an all around im not rich lol just poor enough to have one shotgun one rifle one pistol and one rod. :beer:
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:41 pm

i just got a carrot stick heavy.i love it you dont need to touch the line for feel it comes threw the rod with florocarbon line you cant go wrong.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby Hawk » Mon May 24, 2010 7:50 pm

I prefer a stout rod myself. 7 footer with good backbone. almost a flippin stick.( with 85 million super-high-modulus graphite )
may say IM8 on the rod itself. look for rods with at least 7-9 line guides and one-piece. these may a little expensive. but hey you can use it for BIG BUZZBAITS, C-Rig. and pitching. 3/4 oz weighted CR is a breeze. hooked up with the right reel. you can cast a country-mile in open water. river and pond fishing is something else. which you failed to mention in your post. just what kind of fishing r you planing to do? Lake, river, or ponds?
Butt- Belly- Beak- Boom
Hawk
hunter

Return to Fishing