What do I need to start bow fishing?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

What do I need to start bow fishing?

Postby T Man » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Right now im shooting an older lefthanded Pearson Cherokee and would like to bow fish a little with it. What am i going to need to get into this?

I gave 40 bucks for the bow, a Cobra sight and a Kwikee Quiver. Was it a good buy? Bought it as my first bow, and love shooting it.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: What do I need to start bow fishing?

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:09 am

Ok first thing you do is get rid of the sight and the quiver. Then you have to put some sort of a line holder or reel on it and that is determined by how deep your wallet is. If your serious about bowfishing and you have about $125 laying around get the AMS retriever kit. It comes with a bottle type reel, 2 arrows, extra arrow hardware, a roller rest, and a video, basically everything you need for bowfishing except the bow, which, by the way, they do have those available too. If your not that rich and want to get into it a little cheaper try to find and old fishing reel, a big one, actually you can buy a Zebco Rhino closed face casting reel for about $25 at Welfare Mart, then go to the tool section and pick up a roll of chalk line (without the chalk) and spool the reel with that and mount it to a stabilizer with hose clamps, any local archery shop or bait store should have and arrow and your all set.....just dont forget to push the button before you shoot! Another thing you can do for almost nothing if your handy with a drill, and a rivot gun is take and old beauty ring off a truck rim and drill it at 12 o'clock 3, 6, and 9 o'clock for whatever rivots you have laying around, usually 3/16". Then rivot two strips of metal in a cross across the back of the ring, drill a 3/8" hole in the center where they meet for a 3/8" bolt, tighten it up with a jam nut and thread it into the end of your stabalizer. Its kind of a "Red Green" way to do it but it works. You might find that you have to shoot through the ring itself because of how large it is but winding your line will take less time than using a pop bottle. Oh theres another way to do it drill a hole in the cap of a 2 liter pop bottle and bolt it to your bow, drill a small hole in the pop bottle, thread your line through, tie a washer to the line and pull it back tight against the hole, wrap the rest of your line around the bottle and screw it onto the cap. It doesnt work very well because the bottle it too flimsy but it will get you by.
I could sit here all day and type in 101 ways to make a bowfishing reel but the best thing to do is get an AMS Retriever Pro kit. Youll spend less time messing around with the string and more time shooting. The sport in general as with any other sport will be more enjoyable with quality gear. I would hate to see you lose interest in something as much fun as bowfishing just because you got ticked off at your line getting tangled everytime you shot. I dont know what the draw weight is on your bow but it should be over 45 lbs, I shoot about 55 lbs, dont overdo it but it takes a little punch to penetrate the scales on carp that is 3ft deep. Dont forget about light refraction, AIM LOW! Just when you think your low enough drop another inch before you release. If the fins are sticking out of the water aim for the belly, youll get the hang of it with experience. Good luck and be sure to post pics on here of the fish you shoot. Heres a 45+ pounder I shot last year, look at me gritting my teeth trying to hold it for the photo :lol3:
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:07 am

Thanks for the info. I was looking into something like what I have at the bottom of the page. We arent heavy on the carp where Im at, infact they are a rarity, but we have some monster catfish that sit a few feet below the surface. If dropped everything infront of them and they just arent interested, and Im not brave enough to noodle, so, bow it will be. Thanks and if youve heard good or bad about the setup, let me know. If I dont go that route, ill do the zebco reel on the stabilizer, but my question is this, and its probably a stupid one, how do you attach the line to the arrows?

Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:10 pm

I have used a setup like that before (when I first started out) they work fine, the thing I didnt like about them is the time it took to wind the line back up, its not nearly as fast as a crank reel. It always seemed like when a nice one swam by you were still winding line from the previous shot. As far as attaching the line to the arrow...if your using the slide like the one shown in your photo, which is what I would recommend not just for ease of use but for saftey, start the line through one eyelet on the slide and back through the other so the line wraps halfway around the slide (youll see the line groove on the slide telling which side of the slide the line should be on) pull about six to eight inches of line through the slide and go back toward the reel along the main line, now with the line double up (the 6" tag end and the main line laying parallel) just do a simple single overhand knot. Now, this is harder to explain than it is to do but as your doing the overhand knot youll find that when you create the loop at the start of the overhand knot you have to slide that loop over the tip of the arrow and pass the entire arrow through the loop in order to finish the knot, when you pull it tight leave about a 4" loop so that when the arrow is shot the knot will be behind the arrow instead of on the side of it. Im sure this is confusing I never claimed to be a good teacher but check out the AMS bowfishing website they may have a tutorial on tying the knot.
By the way, I dont know where your from but in Michigan it is illegal to shoot catfish. Only carp, gar, suckers, and bowfin (or more commonly known around here as dogfish) are legal to shoot or spear. Check with local laws, I know every state is different.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Return to Fishing