Whats the bass biting?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Whats the bass biting?

Postby woodiekiller » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:00 pm

Going down to basspro in a few days to pick up some new lures. I do alot of pond and river bass fishing and im wanting to get some new hard lures, so whats your suggestions? I been catching alot in pond bass off of shallow diving cranks and bottom water lizards.
woodiekiller
hunter

Re: Whats the bass biting?

Postby daffy... » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:08 am

i live in maine but this is what i use. if i cant catch it on any of these three. they aint there.
Attachments
Reb-Crawfish.jpg
never tried these but ive seen them slayed on these
Reb-Crawfish.jpg (13.58 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
images.jpg
these in yellow, green work very well. ive also caught trout on the white ones
images.jpg (1.65 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
118463049_tp.jpg
these but in black n silver.
118463049_tp.jpg (24.12 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby bayouboy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:11 pm

i really like that crawfish crankbait. haven't really used it here in LA (water too muddy) but in colorado i killed them w/ that around rocks. love to fish crankbaits around rock (concrete down here).

to answer the original question, you can't have enough topwater baits. torpedo's, poppers, and get a zarra spook, jr. and learn how to walk the dog (forgive me if you already do). fish them at those ponds during low light conditions: early morning, evening, and overcast.

i'm sure you won't have trouble spending your money at bass pro.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:36 am

suspending rapalla HJ, silver w/ black top (not wure the color's name)... will catch anything anywhere... atleast in NH
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby sherlockbonez » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:49 am

Size 11 and 13 original rap. 1/2-3/4 oz spinner baits for lakes and ponds, spinners for river.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:30 am

I have a couple of methods I use almost year round and they catch fish.

If fishing is slow, I will quite often switch to a bass jig. I'll use the 1/8th oz jigs if I'm in a pond or the river, but I will use bigger sizes if the wind picks up or if its a bigger body of water with bigger fish. Black and Blue with a craw trailer is my favorite, seems to catch them regardless of water clarity and lighting. Might use a different color depending on conditions.

I know its not a hard bait, but I also love to fish with Tiki Sticks or yum dingers or some variation thereof (I don't care what brand). Watermelon red works great in clearer water, black and blue works great in murkier water. I normally fish them weightless, but you can fish carolina rig or Texas rig in deeper water. I've been tearing up good size smallmouth on the river with these guys and also some good sized largemouth in some of the lakes. I'll fish this almost year round in any body of water. I'll almost always buy the 5" worms, and if I want it shorter pinch some of it off. These things work great and I'll fish them year round.

During the summer for small ponds or rivers, you can use in-line spinners, but I like using road runners or beetle spins. They'll catch almost anything.

I have some rattle traps, crank baits, and spinner baits I also use from time to time, but it really depends on the situation and what I'm going for. I prefer to go to specific areas and dissect them with a finesse bait vs cover a lot of water.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby woodiekiller » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:42 pm

Getting some good ideas guys! Thanks!
woodiekiller
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:27 pm

I second the original shad rap. and would suggest a small/medium sized rattle trap. Can't go wrong with a senko or robo worm though.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Im not a bass pro by any stretch but I feel like one when I use senkos or any senko imitation. I almost think they should be outlawed, its not even fair. I fish bass only a handful of times a year but my freinds who fish tourneys and do well swear by them.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:40 pm

Bill Herian wrote:Im not a bass pro by any stretch but I feel like one when I use senkos or any senko imitation. I almost think they should be outlawed, its not even fair. I fish bass only a handful of times a year but my freinds who fish tourneys and do well swear by them.

they are great baits in any water w/ decent visibility.

that backsliding action is so deadly.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:22 am

bayouboy wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:Im not a bass pro by any stretch but I feel like one when I use senkos or any senko imitation. I almost think they should be outlawed, its not even fair. I fish bass only a handful of times a year but my freinds who fish tourneys and do well swear by them.

they are great baits in any water w/ decent visibility.

that backsliding action is so deadly.

I caught a descent sized bass on the river this weekend with a Yum Dinger (again I have no brand preference for Senkoesk or tiki stickesk worms). I love tossing those suckers up stream of an ambush point, then having it float down into the strike zone. I was talking to someone when that sucker flashed up snagged it. Too much fun.

As I said in my earlier post, if I could only fish 2 ways to catch fish week in and week out, it would be using a "Senkoesk" worm or a bass jig. I have great luck with catching nice sized fish with both. Other baits have a time and place, but these are my ultimate confidence baits. I switch to them when all else fails, assuming I tried anything else at all.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:56 pm

I've been catching alot of good fish on big topwater lures. Also catching alot on jigs and plastic worms. Been catching most of the better fish on drop offs in about 5 ft of water
duckman27
hunter

Return to Fishing