fly tying material

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

fly tying material

Postby duckin-A » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:54 pm

hey that picture of Puxy Phil groundhog on Yahoo home page, he looks like he has some great fly tying fur there...................probably more useful than the weather forecast!
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Re: fly tying material

Postby duckin-A » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:30 pm

so I see 132 views and no comments..................doesnt anybody use woodchuck fur...........????? great stuff!!!! PUX had some good lookin stuff on him!! nice white tips!!!!! just an observation!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:21 pm

wow 296 views and not one comment.....are there any flytyers reading this?????
duckin-A
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:15 pm

i haven't used rock chuck fur, but i might start trapping muskrats and caping them.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:57 pm

man Ive tried all sorts if stuff. they could work great on a bugs bunny. cut a strip with a sharp knife across the grain and tie it in over a squirrel tail at the rear and wrap it forward. finish with a hackle if you want and add eyes if you feeling real flash.
Attachments
IMG_1401.JPG
IMG_1401.JPG (43.76 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby JoJer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:18 pm

You're starting to sound desperate. Close as I've ever gotten to tying with ground hog is squirrel or rabbit. Lots of rabbit. Squirrel is too slippery, so I don't use it much. I think I have a chunk of wood chuck that came with my tying kit I got when I first started. Still in the little baggie.
JoJer
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:09 am

I’ve never used chuck fur for the simple reason that none of the patterns I tie and fish with call for it, and the materials that they do call for are readily obtainable so I don’t need to look for substitutes. Now there’s nothing wrong with anyone enjoying to experiment but I’ve gone in the other direction. Over the years I’ve trimmed down my fly boxes from just shy of a hundred or so patterns that I was led to believe I needed to carry to ensure success to not much more than a half dozen favorites, and I catch more trout now than I ever did.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:27 am

RustyGunz1960 wrote:I’ve never used chuck fur for the simple reason that none of the patterns I tie and fish with call for it, and the materials that they do call for are readily obtainable so I don’t need to look for substitutes. Now there’s nothing wrong with anyone enjoying to experiment but I’ve gone in the other direction. Over the years I’ve trimmed down my fly boxes from just shy of a hundred or so patterns that I was led to believe I needed to carry to ensure success to not much more than a half dozen favorites, and I catch more trout now than I ever did.

So what are the six patterns? I've done the same thing over the years and ended up pretty much with:
Yellow Humpy
Elk Hair Caddis
Bivisible
Gold Ribbed hair's ear
Wooly bugger
Zonker
Muddler minnow
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:01 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
RustyGunz1960 wrote:I’ve never used chuck fur for the simple reason that none of the patterns I tie and fish with call for it, and the materials that they do call for are readily obtainable so I don’t need to look for substitutes. Now there’s nothing wrong with anyone enjoying to experiment but I’ve gone in the other direction. Over the years I’ve trimmed down my fly boxes from just shy of a hundred or so patterns that I was led to believe I needed to carry to ensure success to not much more than a half dozen favorites, and I catch more trout now than I ever did.

So what are the six patterns? I've done the same thing over the years and ended up pretty much with:
Yellow Humpy
Elk Hair Caddis
Bivisible
Gold Ribbed hair's ear
Wooly bugger
Zonker
Muddler minnow

All good choices. Of those, the Hare's Ear, Muddler (both floating and weighted) and Wooly Bugger are in my box. For mayfly imitations I'm usually fishing an Addams or a Light Cahill, depending on light conditions. I do keep a few other dries with me in case a really good hatch needs to be matched but the previous-named flies serve me well 99% of the time.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:57 pm

PMD parachutes (in pink and yellow abdomen)
Large Parachutes: hare's ear/adams/green drake/hoppers
Royal Trude Western Caddis
PMD wets (yellow, pink, etc.) with sparse Hungarian soft hackle
bead head pheasant tails w Hungarian soft
Salmon fly stimulators (orange body)
Serendipity (olive, red, yellow)
black/grey caddis

these work on my home rivers
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:09 am

JoJer wrote:You're starting to sound desperate. Close as I've ever gotten to tying with ground hog is squirrel or rabbit. Lots of rabbit. Squirrel is too slippery, so I don't use it much. I think I have a chunk of wood chuck that came with my tying kit I got when I first started. Still in the little baggie.

:lol3: That's funny! I think I have the same thing, but my kit is probably 35 years old!I think it had a little packet of polar bear fur too, if I remember right!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:15 am

dudejcb wrote:PMD parachutes (in pink and yellow abdomen)
Large Parachutes: hare's ear/adams/green drake/hoppers
Royal Trude Western Caddis
PMD wets (yellow, pink, etc.) with sparse Hungarian soft hackle
bead head pheasant tails w Hungarian soft
Salmon fly stimulators (orange body)
Serendipity (olive, red, yellow)
black/grey caddis

these work on my home rivers

I forgot about imitating hoppers when the hatch (?) starts going on the Feather River in about July,Aug, dude. I usually just use a big stimulator or a floating muddler. They're not picky when conditions are right. Anything big thats splats on the water usually gets a grab! :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Big bugs work up here. (so do little ones.) First really big ones are the Salmon flies that come off during runoff in June. Casting finesse isn't wanted. Swat/slap the water with a big stimulator (maybe with a PMD wet tied to the bend) and watch the fish rise from the boulders below and drift along with it a few inches before inhaling.

Orange simulators or Chernobyl Ants work during the Salmon fly upstream migration, and for a few weeks after, but later in July and August the hopper's appear, and while similar in size, they have a different body color that's more a light olive-yellow. But you can tie it like a stimulator with the olive-yellow abdomen and brownish thorax. Or you can tie traditional with turkey or synthetic wing material with a post and parachute on it.

I like fishing parachute type flies, especially when the fishing pressure is high, because they work better. With a parachute tied hackle the body of the fly lies "IN" the film, not on it, so fish can see the fly coming from further away, as opposed to hackle tied in the round where the fly body rides above the film, up on the hackle fibers (which are in the film) so fish can't really see the fly till it's in their "window" of vision ... as they say.

I think having the fly in the film creates some excitement for the fish as they see the food floating down to their lie. Seems to work.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:13 am

dudejcb wrote:Big bugs work up here. (so do little ones.) First really big ones are the Salmon flies that come off during runoff in June. Casting finesse isn't wanted. Swat/slap the water with a big stimulator (maybe with a PMD wet tied to the bend) and watch the fish rise from the boulders below and drift along with it a few inches before inhaling.

Orange simulators or Chernobyl Ants work during the Salmon fly upstream migration, and for a few weeks after, but later in July and August the hopper's appear, and while similar in size, they have a different body color that's more a light olive-yellow. But you can tie it like a stimulator with the olive-yellow abdomen and brownish thorax. Or you can tie traditional with turkey or synthetic wing material with a post and parachute on it.

I like fishing parachute type flies, especially when the fishing pressure is high, because they work better. With a parachute tied hackle the body of the fly lies "IN" the film, not on it, so fish can see the fly coming from further away, as opposed to hackle tied in the round where the fly body rides above the film, up on the hackle fibers (which are in the film) so fish can't really see the fly till it's in their "window" of vision ... as they say.

I think having the fly in the film creates some excitement for the fish as they see the food floating down to their lie. Seems to work.

Soft hackles drifted down and across work well on some rivers here in CA, dude. I think the fish see them as easy pickins when there's a hatch going on. I've had some great action on Hat Creek with Stimulators used for salmon flies. Short term hatch, but they are ready to go!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:35 am

I agree. Soft hackles look like bugs in various situations (emergers, cripples, spent spinners). the swing drift across and down, is the classic way to fish 'em, but they work really well dead drifted in the film or below a larger indicator fly like a stimulator, royal western caddis, or a parachute of the same variety...whatever's coming off.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:05 am

dudejcb wrote:I agree. Soft hackles look like bugs in various situations (emergers, cripples, spent spinners). the swing drift across and down, is the classic way to fish 'em, but they work really well dead drifted in the film or below a larger indicator fly like a stimulator, royal western caddis, or a parachute of the same variety...whatever's coming off.

What are the hot streams/rivers in Idaho dude? Here in Ca I fish the Truckee, the Yuba, the upper Sac, the McCloud, Hat creek, American, Feather. Usually steelhead or trout in one or the other.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Return to Fishing