Kokanee fishing tips

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Kokanee fishing tips

Postby dinkygreg » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:41 am

I am planning a fishing trip to Paulina lake this summer and want to catch Kokanee. I must admit that I have never fished for Kokanee ever, but read somewhere that it is not very hard however I do want to make sure about all the facts about Kokanee fishing before heading to Paulina lake. Can anyone shed some lights on Kokanee fishing and provide some useful tips/tricks? Any information on fishing rods, flies, reels and kits are also welcome.

Thanks.
dinkygreg
Newb

Re: Kokanee fishing tips

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:12 pm

8-10 pound mono test main line to blades or a dodger is a starting point. Leaders can be 8-4lb depending on the size of the kokanee and how lite your rod and reels drag system is. Some use snubbers to keep the hook in their soft mouth but a limp
rod and light drag will bring fish to the boat. Spoons, spinners and "Bugs" (no action) are the basic lures used to cath kokanee which can be in the top 25 feet early in the season in 45 degree water and then go deeper to 45 to 65 feet as the waters warm and the fishing pressure and noise increases.
Troll speed is per lures used, .8 to 1.8 mph being the norm with a chunk of worm,grub or corn on the hook.

good fishing
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:26 pm

All kinds of fishing info.........if you can't find it here.

I'mhooked.com
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Fri May 13, 2011 11:07 pm

I like to use a bait caster rod/reel with 20lb braid. I like to use beer can trolling slow, but anything that flashes and makes movement should work. Use a snubber also, then a wedding ring, lure, ect. I like to use corn and worms for bait. Have fun
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby Silverwidgeon » Sat May 14, 2011 7:07 pm

shoepeg corn on the hook, dye it pink and add anise oil.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Return to Fishing