Baitcaster purchase help

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON

Baitcaster purchase help

Postby albe205 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Getting ready to add a couple new rod/reel combos for this spring..have relied on my Shimanos and St. Croix rods for years. been flipin through bass pro cat and have always wondered about the Johnny Morris Sig combos. anyone with knowledge on top baitcasters please give me some ideas..set up on these new combos will be one for Texas riggin and the other for Crankin. any help would be great!! also would like to keep combo price under $275-300
albe205
hunter

Re: Baitcaster purchase help

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:57 am

When I was younger, I kept buying a lot of different brand reels, until I found Shimano. I have used their fresh and salt water spinning reels, their fresh water bait casters and bought everything from their low end to high end lines and have yet to be disappointed.

For the money I think its hard to beat a Citica. I like the curados but have often wondered if they're really worth the extra $50-$100.

As for rods, its up to you. Sounds like you're already on to a pretty good thing.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:36 am

I have tons of abu from old red C3 to round body promax of the early 90s. I also have a calcutta GTB. All great reels. I would look for a wider reel with moderate speed for cranking and a narrower spool with higher speed for worming/ flipping.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby norcalweaz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 pm

i agree with going shimano. the citica and curado are both awesome. im about to drop the ball on another shimano crucial rod and citica reel. combo keeps it under 300 and the crucial rods are awesome. they have a list on the site if you're looking for a bait specofic rod but for me a 6'10 is where it's at for texas rigging. throw some flourocarbon on there and you can feel the looks from fish. good luck and harelip some bass out your way :thumbsup:
norcalweaz
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:34 am

GroundSwatter wrote:For the money I think its hard to beat a Citica.

i own quite a few shimanos, and for a "do-all" baitcaster, the citica is hard to beat. the curados are nice, but unless your wanting the 300 model for torque, or trying to slow your retrieve down with the e5 model, the citica will do everything the curado does while saving you $. i personally believe you can't buy a better real, spinning or baitcaster.

as for rods, i am partial to All-Star rods; they are top of the line quality rods for under $120 a rod. although i just bought that "God awful ugly" yellow and black W&M crankin' rod. (the skeet reese model) i got tried of my graphite blanks pulling the trebble hooks out of the fishes mouth, so i swapped over to a glass rod and i must say that i absolutely love the action of it.

another rod that has caught my eye is abu garcia's veritas spinning rod, specifically the 6'6" w/ extra fast taper. i'm thinking about picking one up for finesse fishing.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby rcdinaz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:31 pm

Check out the new Quantum Smoke, wow it is very smooth and a great looking reel. I just looked one over at bass Pro and that will probably be the next reel I buy.

With the range you gave, spending around $300 I think all the mfg's models will be great rod/reels. I would worry more about liking the feel and balance of what you buy than the mfg. Seems like between me and my old man we have most brands in the boat and use them for different things.
One of the greatest skills you can develop is the ability to ignore those that annoy you...
rcdinaz
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:59 pm

I have 2 johnny morris setups and love them to death, I had a third before it got stolen. The dual braking system is a really neat feature, they're are super smooth and have been trouble free. The only gripes about these reels are they aren't as low profile which makes "palming" a little tougher for small hands, and they are a little heavy which can be a major downside for some. I really wouldn't trade my reels for any others. I had a diawa tierra and thrown a quantum accurist and the quantum was better in my eyes and the diawa was alright but it got stolen along with my other JM combo so I didn't have it too long. So if your considering a JM I'd go for it.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby slothman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:07 pm

I bought a Diawa Exceler reel last summer as an inexpensive baitcaster, and I love it. I put it on a Diawa Strikeforce rod (also pretty inexpensive) and they pair very well together. I know of a lot of tourney fishermen that like the strikeforce rod as good as many of their expensive rods for a fraction of the cost. The reel is smooth and I haven't had a problem with it yet. I will probably get a few more of this combo. For the price, you can't beat it in my opinion.
The glass is not half empty or half full, it's just twice as big as it needs to be.

If you miss a lot of birds, does that make you a conservationist?
slothman
hunter

Postby rook » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:12 am

I do nothing but fish saltwater (inshore) and will never purchase another baitcaster except for the Citica. Best real for the money you can buy, PERIOD.
rook
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:05 am

X2 - shimano citica; also the series one notch below the citica - caenan is an excellent product.

I just built a 7ft. Shimano combo: a medium heavy 7ft. Clarus rod + shimano caenan for $160.00!!

I've got St. Croix and Fenwick, yet since I've found the mid - grade clarus series rods by shimano, which have lifetime warranties, I won't buy anything else.

My shimano clarus / caenan combo fishes just as good as my old Fenwick / citica combo, that I regrettably sold.

If you've got the budget, go citica - and definitely give the clarus rods a once-over! Not long ago, we landed a 6+ pound pike minnow on an ultra light 5ft. Clarus spinning rod / shimano sedona combo on TWO POUND test; while trout fishing. It was one part fishing ability, two parts equipment quality - had we been fishing with inferior tackle, we would have lost that big stink fish.

On a closing note - to "test" the back bone on my new clarus / caenan baitcast combo I went carp fishing. I nailed a 18 pound carp with that combo and it performed remarkably well. I usually use 6-7 foot medium - heavy or heavy ugly sticks with 15 lb. Test for carp - this new shimano plastics set up has 12lb. Monofilament.

Shimano all the way.
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:33 pm

i'm a fan of abu garcia's, but i hear a lot of good things about the shimano's
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby mox » Thu May 12, 2011 7:43 pm

duckschooler is right about the Johnny Morris reels. I'm a fan. I fish a 6.4:1 ($159) on a 6'6" crankin' stick ($69) from bass pro for most of my crank bait fishing. I did A LOT of crank bait fishing last year. I will be getting the 7.1:1 soon (3" difference on retrieves). For the price, this set up has been very efficient and you've got some boot to spend on overpriced crankbaits! :thumbsup:

Can't go wrong with Shimano either. They're the guru of gears of all kinds.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:42 pm

picked up a citca this summer...great reel. plan to get another one next spring
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby bobalong » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:53 am

I have a citica to and it is nice, but I find I use my Shimano castaic more as I find it more versatile for my fishing.
bobalong
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:42 pm

bob, how do you like that castaic? how does it compair size wise with the citica in your hand. i am thinking about picking one up, but my local stores dont keep any on the shelfs for me to put my hands on before purchase.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Return to Fishing