Duck Hunting Forum banner

Tips for Trout

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  CLUTCHfan 
#1 ·
Hey, i was just wondering if any of you guys had any good fly fishing tips for trout (what to use, what type of water to use them in (calm, rough, etc) or what time of day). I'm already gearing up for a late March fishing trip... im so excited i cant wait! :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Cant really help you because we dont have trout around here. We do travel to arkansas every march for a fly fishing trip though. I have always caught more fish on the brown wooly bugger and the parachute adams. Those are my two favorites. Like I said though I fly fish 3 days a year.

#3 ·
I can't help you about what flies to use, because different areas and different streams will have different hatches and insects. Trout take around 90%+ of their food under water. If you don't see fish rising to insects on the surface than use nymphs. If you are not used to nymph fishing, a strike indicator will help immensely. In early season around here I really like a size 14 wooly-bugger with a green strip of flash down both sides dead drifted close to the bottom. I personally like fishing fast pocket water, but if you can find some pools and riffles that'll probably be your best bet. Early season, you can pretty much fish any time of day, in my experience. Keep an eye on your shadow to keep it from spooking fish, walk softly. I prefer to cast upstream, or at an angle upstream. That way I can strip line as the fly comes towards me and keep a natural drift. Your best bet is to go to a local Fly shop to find out what the fish are hitting on. I generally plan to spend $20 on flies if the shop gives me information even if I already have the flies. Sorry about rambling on.

#4 ·
From here in the heart of flyfishing heavan there are alot of things to remember about trout. Just like other fish they have a diet and an optimum temperature where they like to feed. We have streams, lakes, beaver ponds, meadow streams, rivers and high mountain lakes. All the species of trout and some grayling. The most important part is presentation. Put the fly where the fish are and want to feed. Make it look like food to them. Our dryfly season usually does not start until after june runoff. Though we have surface action on BWO's and Caddis hatches earlier. Most of the fly fishing will be subsurface for most of it. Because most of your fish are hooked close approach is key. Getting the fly to the fish without spookin the fish is essential. Have fun on your trip and let us know how ya did. I have flyfishing year round here and we have some awesome tailwater fisheries that have trout in the 10lb and better class range. Some of these bad boys can be enticed with size 22 midges but hanging on to them is always a challange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.