Summer time carp

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Summer time carp

Postby FMFdevildoc » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:59 am

I've been enjoying the between hunting season fishing, the carp have been hitting at my spot. We've nailed dozens in the 3-5lb range and can't even count the ones 7-10. Now we get pretty excited with the 10-15+ lb carps, as we fish with medium weight 6ft rods + 10 pound test line.

I've been fishing native trout for 20+ years; love me bass, bream, catfish - etc... But good lord there ain't no joy like hooking into a big *** carp! These two were some of the better 15-20lb range we've caught lately.

These really ain't that big and they get much larger, but ill be dammed if they aren't a hoot to catch! The photos are poor, although consider that im 6'1 / 200 and how big they look in comparison. Loads of fun, population control on carp is fine by me any day
Attachments
carp2.jpg
18lbs
carp1.jpg
16lbs
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Re: Summer time carp

Postby troutbum43 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:23 pm

Nice FMFDevilDoc!! I got my eye on a few of the golf course ponds by my house in Belen, I'm going to get the fly rod out one of these nights and try to get one of those big boys on the line!
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:54 am

Catch a carp on a fly rod and that'd be like trying to team rope elephants! Sounds like fun, I remember seeing videos of guys nailing carp on fly rods with heavier rods (what they'd use for Pike, Walleye - etc). I also regularly see carp feed on flys off of the surface, along with what looks like filter - feeding - just skimming along the surface of the water vacuuming up food. Carps on fly rods is totally possible and someday, when I've got a more robust fly rod I will do it.

That isn't something I've tried yet, we've done a few nights at the carp spot with lightweight tackle, which has been a blast as well.

Hope Belen isn't getting many fires, most of the whole state has been burning it seems. The guys I worked with in Raton just had a 25,000 acre job that burned pretty bad.
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby troutbum43 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:09 am

I've seen some guys in the central valley catch them using cottonwwod seed imitation dry flies. I'm just going to experiment i suppose, but there are some in the 5-10 lb range, and on the 5 weight it should be a kick in the the pants. There have been a few small fires in the bosque near the house the last few weeks, but nothing too out of control. A car caught a wood railroad bridge on fire the other week, just goes to show how dry it is, and with the winds we have had its been crazy. Raton took a hard hit, thank God the monsoons are almost here (this weekend they are saying). Just wish I was USFS firefighter this summer, they are making some serious jack in the southwest this year!
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:34 am

We went out again for another night of carp fishing - we nailed a couple big carp and a channel catfish

I put my friend "Italian Joe" on a carp (his first) which ended up being 20+ pounds - took him over 20mins to land this thing
Attachments
IMG951065.jpg
Epic night of carp slaying
IMG956804.jpg
20+lb carp
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:06 pm

Got pictures of a 25+ pound carp and another 10lb'er coming!!!

we have been WINNING!!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Summer time carp

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:01 am

Here's a few carp about 650 lbs worth. Largest being 34 lbs
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321448418.872539.jpg
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby FMFdevildoc » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:08 am

Smackaduck wrote:Here's a few carp about 650 lbs worth. Largest being 34 lbs

Atta boy!! Give em the business!!

You cooking them or just doing population control? I haven't cooked one in a while, primarily doing population control for the steelehead that run in the creek
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Summer time carp

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:25 am

I don't cook
The commons. However I have found grass carp and the silver carp are some very excellent table
Fare!
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Fishing