Catfish bait

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Catfish bait

Postby Remington1187 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:43 am

What's your favortie Flathead Cat bait? I fish for channels all the time on lake winnebago, in wisconsin, but every year we go turkey hunting on the Mississippi River and I never catch any flatheads, which is my goal every year for the fishing part of the trip. Do u use live bait, cut-bait, anything will help. Thanx!
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:18 pm

Maybe some stink bait.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:40 pm

My favorite flathead bait is 12-14" mud cats with the side fins clipped, my second favorite is whole live chinquapin.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby VTduckman » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:07 pm

dog food, hot dog chunks, frogs, most any meat all work great for me but my all time fav- CHICKEN LIVER!
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:34 am

cats are attracked to smells so the stinker the better :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:40 am

He said flatheads, flatheads like live bait.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby smokinquacknc » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:19 pm

i like to use either a live gizzard shad or a live bluegill. just like the saying goes, the bigger the bait the bigger the fish. just make sure they are good and lively youll probably have better luck catching fish on the shad but they can be hard to keep alive all day or all night, the bluegill live a while longer.
smokinquacknc
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:36 pm

My personal favorite is bluegill, or sunfish. These really put of some vibration, and struggle when you put a hook in them. Others that we have had luck with is sucker chubs, bullheads, blue chubs, small carp, did catch one off of a frog once. Make sure you check the state laws for what is legal. I know in Minnesota it is illegal to use gamefish for bait(bluegills :thumbsdown: )

I have read of people floating the river in the daytime using fresh cutbait, stopping at every log jam that has some depth to it. This where the flatheads hang out in the day time. I did get into one once while going for channels with dead chubs in the daylight, let it go towards the log jam, and once it got in front of it bam he nailed it. They don't spend much time in one spot though, 20 minutes, and if nothing move on. I personnaly like to fish at night on the sandbars when they chase baitfish into the shallows. Seen many of night minnows jumping for there lives from flatheads.

Another piece of advice is that when ever we are flatheadin, and we start picking up channels, it means the flatheads are not there. a 2 to 3 lbs channel is a nice meal for a 20 lbs flathead.
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby cONG » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:13 pm

the best thing is black perch to seat lines on about a pound size is good but anyting biger is just as good for channel cat i like liver with brown suger or sumting to make it sweet and smelly than to make it stay on put like sume white string on and wap it a round but dont get the string to big :getdown:
cONG
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:23 pm

Dans Punch Bait is supposed to be fenomonal.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby scott m ward » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:32 am

My buddies and I use cut shad or five or six nightcrawlers gobbed up on a big hook early in the season and probe downed trees during the day. as the season prgresses we use live shad 8" to 10" long and bullheads of all sizes. we used to use bluegills, but we caught mostly BIG channel cats(which isnt a problem, but if Im fishing for flats, I want to catch flats) anyplace with riprap that has deeper water adjacent to it is a good place to set up. we are allowed 2 poles per person so we usually set 1 about four feet off shore baited with a bullhead .use a bobber, but use a sinker on a light dropper line to keep it in place. the #2 pole is set on bottom near the deep water drop off baited with shad. if you have any down trees set the 3rd line near them baited with a bullhead. if you dont have any down trees set it fairly close (but not too close!)to the #2 pole, but continue to bait with bullhead. on the #4 cast it out as deep as you can and bait with shad(this pole will also be the one to pick up big blue cats) . we wait until the fish tell us what they want and change tactics as conditions dictate... such as if the bobber set up is workin and the deep water set is just sitting there ,we change to bobbers on all lines, or if the flatties decide they like bullheads instead of shad... we bait with all bullheads. this is the rule we live by: one fish is an accident, two fish are a coincedence, three fish are a pattern! hope this helps.
S-
You did a great job with this coot sandwich! Tastes almost as good as your sliced shoveler loaf!
scott m ward
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:57 pm

OK whats a flathead?????? I thought FH's and mud cats were the samething I'M SOOOO CONFUSED :oops: :help:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:09 pm

VTduckman wrote:dog food, hot dog chunks, frogs, most any meat all work great for me but my all time fav- CHICKEN LIVER!

chicken liver will get the cats out of our red river every time. Here's how we do it up here:

Take your chicken livers and put em in an old coffee can. Place in hot sun for 3-4 days, get em real stinky

package them up into little bundles using cheesecloth

tie cheesecloth bundle to your line right above the hook. Best part about doing it this way is you can keep your bait. No free meal for the fish!!

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:48 pm

That cheese cloth is a really good idea. Fish can pick anything off a hook, I hate it! But thanks for the info. That will definatly help if I use chicken liver.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby mallardman77 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:07 pm

It's perfect for using the chicken livers, besides for the fish not getting the bait, the livers seem to turn to mush after sitting in the water for awhile and they won't slide off the hook either.

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:11 pm

870 wrote:OK whats a flathead?????? I thought FH's and mud cats were the samething I'M SOOOO CONFUSED :oops: :help:

Flathead cats are opelousas cats and are very good to eat and grow to very large sizes. Mud cats are terribly nasty unless you bleed them and cold cure them for a week and they dont get very big.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Goosekiller06 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:06 pm

one guy i seen was using rubbers and dog poop! he had a stringger full of them things. I dunno about you guys but thats strange to me :toofunny:
Goosekiller06
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:33 pm

ha... that's pretty gross!
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby marshmanjr » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:31 pm

Anything that stinks!!!
if at first you dont suceed ..... RELOAD!!!!!
marshmanjr
hunter

Postby Deano » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:51 am

Here in northern Oklahoma I use either black perch, goldfish or shad......LIVE!
Jug lines, trot lines mostly. Plenty of shad around here to catch with a throw net, buy the perch or goldfish at the bait shop.

If pole fishing I'd use nightcrawlers, shiners or perch. Not often I've caught flatheads on dead/cut bait or stink baits. Seem to prefer live bait unlike blues and channels.

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby wingshooter2009 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:32 am

i know this is weird but those big cats LOVE some frozen or old shrimp. they go together like oreos and milk!! :lol:
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby TennesseeNW » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:57 am

There is no substitute for nightcrawlers in this area. We love to use them on yo-yo's.
TennesseeNW
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:34 pm

I've been cat fishing all my life and I've never had much luck catching flatheads on poles. Trot lines and bank lines with gold fish, shad, and blue gills is the only way to go for the flats. For channels though good old shad gizzards never let me down.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby Beehunter » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:07 am

Small carp about 7" are the best flat head bait I have found.
Take em boys.
Beehunter
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:04 am

We have mostly Channel Cats here, but the ultimate bait for those whiskered critters is the meat from a nice size crayfish tail. You can cast out your pole and you better be ready. I don't know what it is, but they seem to smell the crayfish very easy. I've casted out my pole, and set it down, and within 5 seconds had a bite, and they don't just nibble on it, they take it and run. With myself included, have seen many poles taken into the river. They also like Carp or Sheepshead cubes.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Fishing