Drop-Shot Rod

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Drop-Shot Rod

Postby DivinDuckSlayer » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:55 am

What do you think the best Drop-Shot rod is?
DivinDuckSlayer
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:59 am

Which ever one you can stick over the boat or you can go with a med. to hev. action rod, you have to be able to feel the bottom and the strike so also get some sensative line, i like fireline but thats just me....that would be a WHOLE nother topic.

What are you fishing for. :thumbsup:
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DivinDuckSlayer » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:57 pm

I fish Bass tournaments in the Northeast and I want to get a better drop shot rod.
Last edited by DivinDuckSlayer on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DivinDuckSlayer
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:50 pm

It realy simple, the hardest part about it is tying the right not which would be a palamer not, YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT THE HOOK IS PERFECTLY LEVEL, thats the key because you are mimicking a live shad or worm. They make some really cool drop shot weights, i don't remember the name but they are bell shaped but the top off it is like a bobber, the spring thing on the top. It dosen't really matter what weight you use though just make sure it not to big and snag proof. Just find you a grass flat or a good drop off and drop it over and get-er-dun. Bait is personal pref. but your trying to imitate a shad so try shad color first to get the hang of it or use your favorite color. :thumbsup:
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DivinDuckSlayer » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:40 am

I know about the baits, knots and weights. The drop shot rod I have isnt the best. I just want a very sensitive tip with a real strong back bone. I almost bought the G-Loomis drop shot rod but I wanted to look around and check out other ones first. GET ER DONE :mrgreen: You drop shot with a med-heavy rod???? :umm: Thats a little heavy for finicky Smallmouth ... NICE TRUCK
DivinDuckSlayer
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:14 am

Naw i mainly fish for largemouth on those hot summer days and i didn't really mean a med.hev rod i meant a med or hev rod depinding on the fish that ur after, i had spiderwire rod that was perfect for drop shotin but i broke the tip on it an it was never the same so check that one out, alot cheaper too. So u want something like the wilson fat shaft golf clubs hu, check out the s.w rod it might be what u a looking for. :salude:
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby IDwtrfowler22 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:08 pm

For a drop shot rod, I use a 6'6 loomis glx spinning rod with an older diawa reel, the rod is a fast medium action so i can feel my bait tick across the bottom, biggest thing to remember is dropshotting is a finesse technique so using a lighter action rod and a light line will help alot
IDwtrfowler22
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:38 pm

[quote="IDwtrfowler22"] the rod is a fast medium action so i can feel my bait tick across the bottom

does your bait tick across the bottom or your weight cus if your bait ticks then you aint drop shotin or you've ty'd it wrong and if you use fieness where i fish you'll be finessin you butt back to the store for stronger line so like i said before it depends on what fish you are fishin for. :salude:
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DivinDuckSlayer » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:59 pm

Light line is the name of the game bro.. Up here we drop shot when the bite gets tough and everything else shuts down.. The Ligther the line the less wary the fish will be and you'll have a better chance at getting him to stirke
DivinDuckSlayer
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:31 am

ok so what the heck is dropshoting?
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:50 am

Its a technique mostly use when the bite gets real slow but I have used it all year around. First thing you do is to tie the Mustad Ultra point hook on the line about two feet up with a Palomar knot. Then run the line back through the top of the eye of the hook , this holds your hook out straight(horizontal)with the point end up. Then add a 1/4 to 1/2oz weight on to the bottom of the line. You will have a sinker on the bottom and two feet up the line you will have your hook. Now add a Zoom finesse worm, Zoom tube or even a fluke. Don’t rig Texas style unless you have to for weedless purposes, run the hook through the nose of the worm, etc. Cast the rig out and when it hits bottom just shake it. Keep it in one place for a short time then move it a foot or two and repeat shaking. I use finesse when fishing crappie or small mouth, i tend to go heavier with bass meaning instead of spin cast tackle with 8 to 10lbs test to bait cast 10 to 14 pound test. The way they make line these days the pound test doesn't matter cus they can't see it of coarse that means getting the good stuff.

This is a great technique for catching suspended fish or when site fishing or when you know that he is in there. They can't resist it.
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Oregon Honker » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:02 pm

what are you looking for brand names if so

i only own Cabelas,G Loomis,or Lamiglass Rods !

the cabelas rod I have was a trial and it compares to my lamiglass and loomis for less than 1/2 the $$$$$ Highly Recomened :thumbsup:
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:58 am

Divin, have you decided yet, keep us informed on what you decide and tell how it worked out for you. :thumbsup:
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DivinDuckSlayer » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:25 am

Actually I dont have to decide now.. As of today I am part of Esox Rods Profstaff. So I will be using all ESOX rods.. If you havent heard of them Check them out... They're a great rod and if your interested in buying one.. or some.. let me know and I can help you out. (Discount :thumbsup: ) www.Esoxfishingrods.com or email me at mtrem06@yahoo.com ... Thanks for the responses guys
DivinDuckSlayer
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:45 am

Man i am diffently down for a discount but i'll let you be the guinea pig, not that i'm knockin the rods but i already have 2 6.5ft and 1 7.0ft g-loomis rod and two spinning rods BUT i could use a good crankbait rod. How much of a discount are we talking about, i did like to looks of the rods, had some nice eyes. Look better than the fuji eyes. How did you manage to get on the pro staff, bet that was a nice gift. :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Oregon Honker » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:05 pm

all too short for me i wont own less than a 8'6'' rod but i build my own now !!!!

by the way nice :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: job
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:43 am

Holly cow 8 ft 6...what are you usein cane polls, u must make'm out a trees
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Oregon Honker » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:02 am

No i just mainly fish for salmon and steelhead but i do have a 13'6" lamiglass that i use for sturgeon
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Fishing