Fly Rod

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Fly Rod

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:50 am

Here one for ya, i got a 100 dollar gift card from bass pro and want a fly rod, it will be my first one so go on the site and tell me which one to get, i will be using it mainly for trout but might end up catchin a salmon so it needs to be strong enough so a salmon but small enough for a trout.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby IDwtrfowler22 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:37 am

personally salmon fly rods and trout fly rods are different, for a salmon i use anywhere from a 7 weight to a 9 weight and for trout i use anything from a 3 weight to a 6 weight depending on the size of the fish, so personally i would go the middle of the road and run with a 7 weight here is the rod i think is pretty decent, but its just like duck hunting you get what you pay for

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... =CROSSSELL
IDwtrfowler22
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:31 am

So do you think that a 100 dollar rod is "gettin what you pay for". I don't mind payin more if more is better.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby akbrett » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:28 am

LA - If you plan on using one fly rod up here don't go super cheap and don't get anything smaller than an 8 weight. An 8 weight rod is about the minimum you are going to want if you want to fish the Kenai or the Russian. I'm not real familiar with the lower end rods, but you are probably going to want an 8' 8 weight as a salmon/trout combo rod. Don't go cheap on the reel though. Look at something along the lines of a Ross or Orvis. You want a nice one with a sturdy frame and a disc type drag.

There are a couple places to get good quality gear here in town, Sportsmans always has lots to look at and Mountainview Sports on Old Seward has a really good flyfishing section (they will also meet or beat the price offered anywhere else in town). If you have any questions let me know and I'll be glad to meet you at one of the places and try to help you learn some of the secrets.
akbrett
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:12 pm

For your first rod, $100 is plenty. You should be able to find a decent combo for around $150 to get you started. Don't spend big money on gear until you're sure you're going to like it. I don't know where you are located, but around here a 5wt is generally what people use for trout, and an 8wt for steelhead and salmon. Your best bet is to go to a flyshop in the area you're going to fish and have them recommend a line weight for you, even if you buy the rod from Bass Pro. Also, alot of shops'll have casting clinics and classes that you can take for free or on the cheap if you're interested.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Make sure you get all Graphite

Postby CrowKRB » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:06 am

I do alot of warmwater flyfishing and use a 6-weight and an 8- weight. I have caught a variety of fish on either one. I would get a rod that is strong enough to handle a salmon and adjust the size of your leader and tippet if all you are catching is trout. The weight and length of the rod is really more for handling the size of fly you want to throw. I have caught five and six pound largemouth on a 5- weight and it had plenty of backbone but I need an 8-weight to throw big bulky flies. When you get into the 100 dollar range you will find more rods that may only be 96% graphite. Definitely find one that is at least an IM6 graphite you want regret it no matter what weight you choose.
The Crow has landed!!
CrowKRB
Newb

Postby Citori12 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:25 pm

I do not know what Bass pro has as far as reasonable fly rods. For trout and salmon 5-6wt will work just fine. Use heavier tippet for salmon. Because I love to flyfish I have more than one rod. I have a 7ft, 3wt for brookies in small creeks and beaver ponds. A 8ft 5wt for trout in meduim sized streams and rivers with small flies, I have a 8 1/2ft 5-6wt for General all around fishing. And a 9ft 7 wt for bulky flies in big rivers and lakes for pike and larger trout. A 100 dollars will secure you a fairly good starter combo kit. I would opt for 8 1/2 ft rod if your a fishing for salmon as you will be using it on larger rivers.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Fishing