Downrigger ?s

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Downrigger ?s

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Guys, I am new to the trolling/downrigger world so I have some questions. I will mainly be trolling for wipers and white bass with walleye sometimes too. The lake I fish most is a power plant cooling lake with lots of gizzard shad. I just need to know a few things.

1. What speed to troll?
2. What kinds of crankbaits to use? Deepdiving, etc? any brand recommendations?
3. Just any other tips in general you guys have?

I mostly drift fish or jig for walleye. The lake is warm right now so I am gonna try to hit it next week.

Thanks.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:24 am

Well i'm no expert at this so i'm sure i'll be corrected on something, but i think it depends on what lure you are usein. If you are usein crankbaits then it depends on the depth size, you want to go as fast as it takes to get the lure in the strick zone or to the max depth of the lure. If you are usein live bait then go farely slow, use your trollin motor or small outboard.

As far as baits well thats kinda personal pref. I use a lot of walmart brands, I like shad colors and yellows or blues, just depends on the time of year. I try not to get into the whole my baits are better than your crap i just find out what the fish are bitein and go get the best colors i can find. The only thing i spend money on is my poles and reels, i like loomis rods and abu reels. BYW what are wipers. :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:30 pm

Wipers are cross bred stripped bass and white bass...they are hard fighting fish and get to be considerable size. They are good eating, In colorado we have a 15" min on wipers but when you catch them that size are larger they are a handfull on light tackle.
Ks as always you would use lures that would put your offering at the level the fish were at. If deep and on the bottom, bottom bouncers are effective. Mid-depth use crankbaits...rattletraps work well here. surface lures use rapalas in shad colors.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Fishing