Learning to fly fish?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Learning to fly fish?

Postby duckweed » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:11 pm

ok i want to start fly fishingand i have a few questions. i will be fishing for rainbow trout. i already have a rod and reel and need to know what else i need. i will be fishing out of a float tube on a lake. so still water fishing. i just need to know what other components i need for my trip. i know i need flies, but what kind? and what kind or size of fly line should i get? and what size tippet. so please help i am going on a trip from April 1-10. please help.

thanks

William
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:07 pm

What weight is your rod? 4, 5, etc... and what time of year are you going to fish? This will determine weather you are going to fish wet or dry flies and if you are going to fish with nymphs, terrestrials, buck tails, or streamers you have to have an idea of what the fish are feeding on and try to match it. If the fish are feeding deep then you have to get the fly down to them which determines the need for a sinking line and weighted fly. There is alot more to it than just picking up a fly rod & reel and a double tapper floating or single tappered weight forward 5 weight line and tippet. What do you plan on using for your backing?How long of a leader? I hope this doesn't discourage you, I am just trying to tell you that it is not as easy as spin casting or bait casting as there are a lot more variables to consider as well as a lot more enjoyment to be had when fishing with the fly. :thumbsup: The best thing I could tell you is to hook up with someone in your area that is an avid fly fisherman and get them to teach you the ropes as learning on your own can become very discouraging very fast.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:32 pm

Fly fishing is just a little different but if you are fishing out of a float tube on quiet water I would suggest a few things. Wet flys, streamers and nymphs are best on lakes. However, a small selection of dries may be in order in late evening. I suggest a 3 or 4lb tippet 5X should surfice. If the fish are feeding midges then 2lb tippet or 6X or 7X would be in order. However, if you already have a 3 or 4lb tippet blood knotting a 12" smaller diameter tippet will do the job for smaller flies. My suggestions are wooly buggers (these are fished as wet or streamer flies) pheasant tail nymphs, elk hair caddis dry flies and lets not forget a simple hares ear nymph. Because I do not know where you will be fishing precise fly selection is not possible. Just get your fly to the fish, which may mean sinking that tippet or sinking line.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:12 pm

What they've said and a heck of alot of patience! Fly Fishing can be frustrating for learners to start with but stick with it and it can become the most fun and rewarding sport.
kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:53 am

Like hunting ducks....there is something about fooling a fish with a fly and making a good catch...once you catch your first fish your done..you will be like the rest of us and be fly fishing at any given opportunity
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:14 am

Ok here is my advise on flyfishing from a floattube.

The first thing you need, is an inflatable pfd, so that you wear it, at all times. The very last thing you want is to be stuck out in a lake in waders in a tube and get a hole in it. I have seen it and it has happened to me.

As far as flyrods from a float tube, if you are not an expert caster, I would start off with a heavier rod, you won't be able to cast as far sitting down at first. A stouter 5-8wt 9ft rod will help. I love my 1,2, and 3 weights, but in a tube for a beginner its very hard.
Get a spares spool for your reel if you don't have one. Have floating line on one spool and a sink tip system on the other spool. Don't go cheap online. Plan on it costing from $50-90 for your fly line setup. The reason I say get good line, is because it makes your casting so much easier.

It is hard to say much about flies without knowing the lakes, but I always have a lot of green careys, wooly buggers, and elk hair caddis dry flies with me when I fish for trout.

Get a net and hook it to the back of your tube, its hard to land fish at first in a tube because your rod is so long and you have to get the fish to your lap.....

That should get ya started. Float tube fishing is very exciting.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:03 pm

The only thing I could possibly add, is to practice casting before you go out to fish. I've tried to teach people to cast while we were out fishing, and it always ends up frustrating people. Even if you only practice once or twice for five minutes each time.

Also, when you are first starting out, you might get frustrated because you'll get out there and everything will go wrong (snapping flies off, tangling your line up, dropping important things in the drink, hooking yourself or your tube, falling in, or all of it at once). When this stuff starts happening take a break for five or ten minutes get a drink, and relax. If you get worked up and you try to fish while you're upset you'll only make it worse and you won't have any fun.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Return to Fishing