Anyone Fish this Early?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Anyone Fish this Early?

Postby luie b » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:13 pm

I'm on the Mississippi River in West Central IL and we did have ice on the river a little while ago but it's warmed up and was almost 60 degrees today and will be around 50 for the rest of the week. I know people ice fish this time of year (if there's ice of course) but am I crazy to be thinking about fishing this early?
luie b
hunter

Re: Anyone Fish this Early?

Postby foldinducks » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:16 pm

never too early.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby HuntnTech » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:35 pm

As soon as I get a trolling motor purchased I will be fishing. As long as this weather stays like this anyway. :thumbsup:
HuntnTech
hunter

Postby luie b » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:00 pm

I was just wondering cuz people keep telling me they won't bit until at least March but the way I thought of it is fish don't got calendars so if it feels warm it should work decent.
luie b
hunter

Postby 4wheeldrive » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:11 pm

We went out this weekend on the river and slayed the Walleye. I thought my buddies were nuts for going this early too but i was wrong.
4wheeldrive
hunter

Postby Tennesseehick » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:16 pm

luie b wrote:I was just wondering cuz people keep telling me they won't bit until at least March but the way I thought of it is fish don't got calendars so if it feels warm it should work decent.

it's all about the water temp. it could be 20 degrees outside but the water could be close to 50. Get out there and hammer em.
Plus fishin in the cold makes you appreciate days when it's hot, and you're sippin on a cold one!
Tennesseehick
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:05 pm

i just spent all weekend on the lake, the wife and I caught a nice mess of crappie and 5 saugeye. Another week or 2 like this last one and the saugeye and bass will really be biting.
t_baker
hunter

Postby conservation guy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:08 pm

This girl came out of central Ma waters over the weekend. We fish all year long up here doesn't matter to me if the water is hard enough to walk on or wet enough to wade, I will fish 24/7 365
no such thing as bad weather just bad cloths.
Attachments
2012-03-16_16-46-46_355 (360x640).jpg
conservation guy
hunter

Postby Moki » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:59 am

Nice this fish i like it very much for your details. Keep it up good luck.
Moki
hunter

Postby foldinducks » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:28 pm

this one was caught in february,in an outflow of a local dam
this was last week on presque isle bay ,just cuz the water is 46 degrees , doesnt mean you got to stay inside.sometimes all it takes is to just slow your presentation down.take your time, and ease into it .im no river guide, but i can catch fish in any weather,and so can you
foldinducks
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Your perch haven't dropped yet?
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby foldinducks » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:28 pm

no caught a bunch today that were so fat i let em go.i felt real bad i lost a meal, but i keep tellin myself i gained a few thousand perch.ive been fishing presque isle bay, wich is connected to lake erie.the water temp on the surface says 46-50 degrees depending on where your at.but a thermometer i rigged on 10lb test says that at 28 f.o.w. its 43.waiting for some turn over, and im sure they'll move into the shallows and spawn.they all spawned out where your at?
foldinducks
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:16 pm

Crappie and perch are consistent feeders year round ... if you can find 'em. Going to CJ Strike tomorrow to get some slabs...
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:29 pm

foldinducks wrote:no caught a bunch today that were so fat i let em go.i felt real bad i lost a meal, but i keep tellin myself i gained a few thousand perch.ive been fishing presque isle bay, wich is connected to lake erie.the water temp on the surface says 46-50 degrees depending on where your at.but a thermometer i rigged on 10lb test says that at 28 f.o.w. its 43.waiting for some turn over, and im sure they'll move into the shallows and spawn.they all spawned out where your at?

I would guess that a couple weeks ago the perch were dropping around here. By now I'm sure they have.

Don't feel bad about keeping the big girls, it dosent make a difference for future numbers. Eat em, you earned em. :thumbsup:

Stay in em.
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Fishing