12v or 24v trolling motor

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

12v or 24v trolling motor

Postby HuntnTech » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:37 pm

I bought my first boat this past fall for hunting and fishing. It is a Tracker Grizzly 1754. I am now searching for a trolling motor. I am looking at the Minnkota Edge models. One is a 55lbs thrust 12v and the other is a 70 lbs thrust 24v. I understand the 70 lbs will push the boat faster, but is it worth the extra money or will the 55 lbs be fine for my boat? Also what are the advantages of the 24v. I was wondering what some of you may have on boats similar to mine. I will gladly accept any other reccomendations you may have on other motors. Thanks in advance.
HuntnTech
hunter

Re: 12v or 24v trolling motor

Postby California Sprig » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:36 pm

A24 volt will give you more Power, makes a big difference when trolling in the wind. It is heavier and more expensive. The 12 volt less weight but not as much power. But you can get 2 batteries and troll twice as long. Plus you can use your boat motor battery with it if you want. If you troll when windy or in river currents go for the 24 volt. If on calm lakes mostly consider the 12 volt. Although expensive get a model with autopilot. Worth every penny. On a breezy day without auto pilot you will be correcting your direction constantly. With autopilot set the direction and forget it. The autopilot will keep you on course and make all steering corrections.
What type of fishing do you do and where? Big water, small water, rivers, coastal areas with tides and currents??
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby foldinducks » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:14 pm

+1 go bigger, it will last longer, run more efficient, and cause less agrivation.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby HuntnTech » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks for the advice. I usually go with the saying bigger is better but, I had a local guy tell me the 70lbs 24v would be overkill and would jerk me around because of too much thrust for my size of boat. That is why I wanted to ask you guys.

*Edit*
I had not thought about the auto pilot but I will definitly check into that. Thanks
HuntnTech
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:28 pm

HuntnTech wrote:Thanks for the advice. I usually go with the saying bigger is better but, I had a local guy tell me the 70lbs 24v would be overkill and would jerk me around because of too much thrust for my size of boat. That is why I wanted to ask you guys.*Edit*I had not thought about the auto pilot but I will definitely check into that. Thanks

I have a 18 foot and a 24 volt I wish I would have gotten the 36 volt and the GPS stear...
GO BIG !!! :beer: :hi:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Return to Fishing