Bowfishing

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Bowfishing

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:57 am

Not sure how many people on here bowfish. But for those that do, what do you do with your fish? I've been doing it for about 3 years now and usually kill about 30 on a good night. But I have no idea what to do with these things. Usually just go dump em somewhere, but there's probably a better solution than that.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Re: Bowfishing

Postby HOPIN4ABOAT » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:11 am

bury them somewhere on your property 2 years later till it up and plant the biggest best garden you've ever seen. Or give the to a animal rescue if theres one close
Montanafowler wrote:check the jiblets real good, nothing scarier than seeing a bug biting your balls :lol3:
HOPIN4ABOAT
hunter

Postby Easttx » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:13 am

I plow them in where I plant my garden. They make great fertilizer. I keep some of the Buffalo and use for cut bait on trot lines.
Easttx
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:00 pm

Yeah I'd heard about using them as fertilizer. I'm not a farmer and don't ever even grow a garden. I'm sure I could probably find someone that would take em.
HOPIN4ABOAT wrote:Or give the to a animal rescue if theres one close

What do they do with them? There's one right across the street.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby HOPIN4ABOAT » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Our local rescue uses them for food for the animals that have a hankerin for fresh fish
Montanafowler wrote:check the jiblets real good, nothing scarier than seeing a bug biting your balls :lol3:
HOPIN4ABOAT
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:42 pm

I'll have to look into that. Thank you. :beer:
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Silicon Spray

Postby FullandFuller » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:40 am

Carp makes good snapper turtle bait when that season is open. Unfortunately, before July 1, all I use them for is fertilizer or catfish cut bait.

I have often wondered whether shady chinese restaurants would buy them. :eek:

Since this is the only active bowfishing thread here, does anyone have an opinion on good Silicon Sprays for spincast reels? I've read that some of the silicons have a transport base that is corrosive or eats plastic, and some are basically more safe for the equipment. Any body know which version of liquid wrench is the safest to use? I shoot a glass bow, 808, and 200 FF and don't want to worry about overspray.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

FullandFuller
hunter

Postby UpSouth811 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:29 am

i have not had an issue with the spray...works good but never used an 808 either....i just use reel magic most of the time

back on topic i actually got some ppl that eat the carp gar and suckers that i bring them...the rest go in the ladies garden down there street
UpSouth811
hunter

Bowfishing

Postby troutman561 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:46 am

FullandFuller wrote:Carp makes good snapper turtle bait when that season is open. Unfortunately, before July 1, all I use them for is fertilizer or catfish cut bait.

I have often wondered whether shady chinese restaurants would buy them. :eek:

Since this is the only active bowfishing thread here, does anyone have an opinion on good Silicon Sprays for spincast reels? I've read that some of the silicons have a transport base that is corrosive or eats plastic, and some are basically more safe for the equipment. Any body know which version of liquid wrench is the safest to use? I shoot a glass bow, 808, and 200 FF and don't want to worry about overspray.

I use CRC 686 on my salt water reels (and my outboard) right now but typically I use reel magic. I have never had an issue and my reels look great.
troutman561
hunter

Postby foldinducks » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:17 pm

we used to take ours to the zoo, and they would take a few .i dont think they would take 30.the local immigrants ask for them when when we catch em on the piers.maybe some local amish would be interested?
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:26 pm

ask some of the local farmers. they usually have natural fertilizer piles that they would be more that happy to have you add too.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:27 pm

what kind of sunglasses do you guys wear. iv been using cheap ones that are supposed to be polarized but dont help at all.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:10 am

NuffDaddy wrote:what kind of sunglasses do you guys wear. iv been using cheap ones that are supposed to be polarized but dont help at all.

Maybe a little late. But I use cheap wal art glasses. They actually work pretty good, compared to just the naked eye that is.
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:15 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:what kind of sunglasses do you guys wear. iv been using cheap ones that are supposed to be polarized but dont help at all.

Maybe a little late. But I use cheap wal art glasses. They actually work pretty good, compared to just the naked eye that is.

That's what I've been using and they work alright but for $20 I can't complain.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Yeah same here. It's not a HUGE difference by any means, but they do help. I very rarely go during the day anymore, except when the buffalo are spawning. But I always have my bow and glasses when bass fishing.
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby adrenilinejunky » Sat May 12, 2012 9:56 am

Im probably going to sound dumb but Im from washington and up here we are only allowed to shoot carp. what is a buffalo? I read the name a couple times in the thread and was wondering what it is. I got my girlfriend a bow for christmas and took here out bow fishing shortly after and she is hooked! Its gonna be a great summer I think.
Waterfowl hunting is not just a sport, Its an addiction to some of us.
adrenilinejunky
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Sun May 13, 2012 11:12 am

adrenilinejunky wrote:Im probably going to sound dumb but Im from washington and up here we are only allowed to shoot carp. what is a buffalo? I read the name a couple times in the thread and was wondering what it is. I got my girlfriend a bow for christmas and took here out bow fishing shortly after and she is hooked! Its gonna be a great summer I think.

They're like carp. It's almost all I shoot down here, with a few gar and drum. We shot 20 fish last night and every single one was buffalo.

This is the best picture I have on this computer. They get wayyy bigger than this but this about the average size that we shoot.
Attachments
lanes 1st bowhunt.jpg
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon May 14, 2012 7:00 pm

i live in michigan and never knew what a buffalo was untill this year. I guss there are 2 subspecies of them. a bigmouth and a smallmouth. I shot one last year thinking it was a carp but when i got it in i didnt know what it was. here is a picture of it. i was told it was the bigmouth species.
270963_209813865729875_100001037894154_623038_6515585_n[1].jpg
270963_209813865729875_100001037894154_623038_6515585_n[1].jpg (6.5 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon May 14, 2012 8:47 pm

I've seen a a lot of the bigmouths in videos and stuff, but never shot one. I figured they must be different subspecies since they look so different. Nice fish too :thumbsup:
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed May 16, 2012 9:28 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:I've seen a a lot of the bigmouths in videos and stuff, but never shot one. I figured they must be different subspecies since they look so different. Nice fish too :thumbsup:

Thanks that's the only buffalo I've ever shot or seen where I shoot. Tipped the scales at just over 20 pounds.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby adrenilinejunky » Thu May 17, 2012 8:20 am

Hey thanks guys. Im starting to think washington sucks. lol they only allow us to legaly shoot carp up here.
Waterfowl hunting is not just a sport, Its an addiction to some of us.
adrenilinejunky
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu May 17, 2012 9:11 pm

adrenilinejunky wrote:Hey thanks guys. Im starting to think washington sucks. lol they only allow us to legaly shoot carp up here.

Here in Michigan at least, buffalo are categorized as a species of sucker. So if suckers are legal to shoot then buffalo probably are too. Just something to look into.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Thu May 17, 2012 10:52 pm

Here we can shoot anything that's not a game fish. Carp, gar, buffalo, drum, and catfish. I think we can only shoot flathead catfish, but I'm not sure. I've never even seen on to shoot anyway.
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:54 pm

Do any of you guys use a battery system for you lights? My generator is on its last leg and was thinking about going with battery's instead. Any help would be appreciated.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby kyoutdooraddict » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Been on DHC for about a year now and just came across this thread today. Been bowfishing for about 3 years now and thought I'd share some pics of some fish we have got into down here in Kentucky this summer.

IMG_0741.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0743.JPG
IMG_0743.JPG (17.48 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Take nothing but pictures... leave nothing but footprints... kill nothing but ducks, deer, turkeys, rabbits, quail, doves, carp, gar, coyotes, hogs...
kyoutdooraddict
hunter

Next

Return to Fishing