What Size?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

What Size?

Postby duckman27 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:47 am

What size does a Walleye need to get to be considered big? I caught a 26 incher last night but that the only one I have ever caught and since the university I'm at is within 5 miles of the lake I'll be trying to catch some more of them. So how big is a "big" walleye?
duckman27
hunter

Re: What Size?

Postby foldinducks » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:07 pm

i would say its relative to where its at.last year on lake erie every fish i caught was 24" or bigger.on the same note if i was at a couple of local impoundments of water, and caught the same fish i would say its a big fish.anywhere in pennsylvania i would say its large fish.
wich body of water did ya catch it in?any pics?im sure its plump this time of year.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:29 pm

The lake is deep and about 6.5 miles long. From what your saying I can expect to catch some larger fish
duckman27
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:46 pm

26" is a nice walleye.the 1 i got mounted on the wall is 26.the lenght of the fish doesnt really matter it's your trophy.walleye's get alot bigger in the mid 30's,i always said when i was younger the first biggest fish i catch i'll get mounted.i have caught bigger ones out of season )muskies and pike).but that walleye is a memory i'll never forget.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Personally, I wouldn't put one on the wall unless it was 13 pounds or heavier.

That being said, I'm within four hours of Green Bay and Little Bay de Noc where 10+ pounders are common. Look into the kind of fish your water is capable of producing. Do you see 8-12 pound fish hanging in the bait shops? Do guys talk about catching them that size with any frequency?

Thats a great fish, walleyes of that size are also my favorite to eat.

Now show us a picture :thumbsup:
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Fishing