Any fly tiers?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Any fly tiers?

Postby Sir Big Spur » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:45 am

I've finally come to the decision that I'd like to start tying my own flies. Any advice on a decent/affordable vise? I know when it comes to tying it's best to spend the money on a quality vise opposed to spending a couple bucks on a soon-to-be stripped vise from walmart.

I've looked into the Renzetti's and have my eye on the Apprentice because it looks pretty solid, but still unsure.
My wrist deserve a shout out, 'I'm like what up wrist?' My stove deserve a shout out, 'I’m like what up stove?
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Re: Any fly tiers?

Postby conservation guy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Big Spur Renzetti vise is great. Rotary vise is the way to go in my world.
I would recomend doing a search of local clubs/ groups that tie. goto one of the meeting usually you get to see every style vise and talk with a bunch of good people.
I tie from a renzetti don't know how many dozen flys but I have used it for 13 years now.
conservation guy
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:14 pm

I’ve been fly fishing and tying for a bit over thirty years now and am definitely stuck in the past. I upgraded from a glass to a graphite rod years ago but am still using my Pflueger Medalist reel. I am also still tying with my Thompson Model A vise. If I was just starting out I’d most likely buy a more expensive vise, assuming something so much cheaper than the others must be lesser quality, but I guess I just don’t know what I’m missing. I have no trouble tying flies down to size 22 with it (other than my eyesight starting to deteriorate). I have a few buddies that tie saltwater flies and I can see their techniques working better with a rotary vise. But I tie mainly traditional trout flies and have become more of a minimalist over the years, carrying no more than a half dozen patterns. It’s easy to fall into the trap of trying to buy success. Eventually you learn that you have to earn it. I don't mean to imply I look down on more expensive equipment. It's just that you can do quite a bit with much less, and then decide for yourself whether to upgrade.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby Sir Big Spur » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:24 am

Great advise from both of you and much appreciated (it's nice seeing some fly fishing vets on here). The reason I mentioned Renzetti in my previous post was that the guide at my local fly shop ties on one and recommended it. It's a little out of a college students budget but I don't want to sink money into something that I know isn't going to last. After some research, I have looked at the Thompson Model A and others similar and I really like the simplicity and the price. Like Rusty, I too will be tying smaller flies because I mainly only fish smaller wild streams in western NC, especially this time of year.

My question is, with the standard C-clamp vises is it possible to remove the C-clamp and purchase a pedestal for it? I plan on using my desk at school to tie most of the time (due to not enough room in my apartment to bring in a bench just for tying) and the way it's built it doesn't have anywhere to use a C-clamp. And from what I've been looking at, just about every pedestal base vise is well over a $100.
My wrist deserve a shout out, 'I'm like what up wrist?' My stove deserve a shout out, 'I’m like what up stove?
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby conservation guy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:04 pm

I don't know about the pedestal mount for the thompson, check out ebay craiglist newspaper, club flyer, local fly tying club for used vise.
Local tying clubs and shops get equipment from estate sales and I have scored some great deals.
tying on a small desk @ school. I remember doing that. also had no $$$$
I had to screw a board to the desk then clamp my vise to the board. filled the holes when i left.
Don't worry about $$$ get what you can afford. Tying is just that great you don't need big $$$$.
Old School flies were tied in your hand???????
conservation guy
hunter

Postby Sir Big Spur » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:31 pm

I'll have to check those places out for sure. I was more or less looking for a pedestal mount for any c-clamp vise. Whenever I started fly fishing I bought one of the small Walmart brand tying kits because I took a class and the professor recommended getting one, it only lasted for 3 flies before it was stripped so I know I won't be going that low on price again. From what I'm seeing and reading, I can get a decent vise with good reviews for around $50-$70 range.

Do you purchase you're supplies from a local shop or do you know any good online retailers to order from?
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby conservation guy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:07 pm

I get my materials local.
I have a great shop in Worcester Mass, Lower Forty. I have been going there since college alsways have been real good to me. I learn loads of stuff and meet lots of people going there and checking out the new stuff. I think you loose some of that on the www
meeting the people and getting to swap flys / ideas etc. is the best part of becoming a "local" at the fly shop I have found i get more bang fro my buck by staying local than saving a couple of cents on the www
you can also get some insider info and learn some good spots once your with the right people
conservation guy
hunter

Postby Sir Big Spur » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:13 pm

conservation guy wrote:I get my materials local.
I have a great shop in Worcester Mass, Lower Forty. I have been going there since college alsways have been real good to me. I learn loads of stuff and meet lots of people going there and checking out the new stuff. I think you loose some of that on the www
meeting the people and getting to swap flys / ideas etc. is the best part of becoming a "local" at the fly shop I have found i get more bang fro my buck by staying local than saving a couple of cents on the www
you can also get some insider info and learn some good spots once your with the right people

Good point. I frequent a couple local shops while I'm at school but many of them are just guide services with a handful of flies, line, and other little things. You're right about getting the inside scoop from the locals because that's how I've found many of the spots I fish now.
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby conservation guy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:35 pm

a little off subject
if your school has wildlife bio / natural science/ enviro / etc. do yourself a favor and get hooked up with the fish / water qualtiy students. They get to sample all over and have a great network of fish spots. Always keep those guys on the email list.

knowing the local guides is good too. don't foget to throw them some $$ or in your case time or maybe fix some equipment etc. that will get you on the know with a guy who is doing it for a living.
i have a fishing guide friend for 20 years. meet him on the river helped him change a tire on his trailer, been fishing with him since.
conservation guy
hunter

Postby conservation guy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:03 pm

tied these monday night.
nice fly ties easy and catchs a ton of fish.
foam body with marker
i have done all sort of fish / colors/ flash / rattles patterns with this basic style.
you can fish it floating or sinking
Attachments
2012-03-11_12-59-02_158 (640x360).jpg
conservation guy
hunter

Any fly tiers?

Postby LJensen » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:16 pm

I use a griffin spider. Bought it 7 years ago when I was a poor college kid. If I replaced it today I would get a Dyna king barracuda junior. I prefer these over renzetti. Renzetti relies on rubber gaskets for leverage on vice jaws(same with the griffin vices). Rubber gaskets stretch over time, the dyna king vices are all metal.

Look into the cabelas or basspro starter sets, more for the other tools that come with it, you can always add to your tools over time.

Great hobby if you have the time.

I also included a pic of my set-up in my cave.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333577398.174013.jpg
LJensen
hunter

Postby Sir Big Spur » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Those are some pretty solid looking flies CG, strong work. Most of the guides I know are good friends so I usually keep them from going thirsty more than anything.

LJensen, thanks for the info and I'll take that into account. I was actually thinking about just purchasing one of the starter sets they have because I have a couple gift cards burning a hole in my pocket. That's a pretty solid set-up you have as well. I'm hoping I can purchase a vise that will last me for years like you guys have had. I'll be updating soon on what I decide because now that summer is rolling around I'm a couple flies short because the trees kept stealing them from me all winter.
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby conservation guy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:45 am

hit it over the weekend got some nice action.
All day Old School Streamer day

Big Spur hows the vise research???
Renzetti travel vise with pedastal mount, just saw one used for about $80 local.
Attachments
2012-04-07_08-13-59_450 (640x360).jpg
conservation guy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:32 am

RustyGunz1960 wrote:I’ve been fly fishing and tying for a bit over thirty years now and am definitely stuck in the past. I upgraded from a glass to a graphite rod years ago but am still using my Pflueger Medalist reel. I am also still tying with my Thompson Model A vise. If I was just starting out I’d most likely buy a more expensive vise, assuming something so much cheaper than the others must be lesser quality, but I guess I just don’t know what I’m missing. I have no trouble tying flies down to size 22 with it (other than my eyesight starting to deteriorate). I have a few buddies that tie saltwater flies and I can see their techniques working better with a rotary vise. But I tie mainly traditional trout flies and have become more of a minimalist over the years, carrying no more than a half dozen patterns. It’s easy to fall into the trap of trying to buy success. Eventually you learn that you have to earn it. I don't mean to imply I look down on more expensive equipment. It's just that you can do quite a bit with much less, and then decide for yourself whether to upgrade.

I agree 100% with RG1960. Been FFing and tying for 30 plus years. Like old Fenwick fiberglass rods (though I have a couple Sage), SA and Hardy reels ($ but beautiful) and the same Thompson vise. Think you'll find fly-fishing eventually just like any other sport. Easy to spend mega $ for the latest, but eventually realize you had more fun with the old stuff. You don't need 1000 flies, pick 12 favorites and a few sizes, keep casts short and have fun. Catch a lot more fish, IMO, if you get to know a couple of local waters really well.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:46 pm

I bought a Dyna King Voyageur vise 25 years ago and sill love it, although I did get a pedestal for it. Get a good vise and get several good ceramic bobbins so you have one for each of your basic thread colors (brown, olive, black, yellow).

There are many really good fly tying books, but the ones I liked best for beginners were by Randall Kaufmann or Jack Dennis. I also have books by many others but Kaufman will get you going on most of the best impression type flies. A DVD will help you figure out some of the maneuvers needed for tying and can really help.

The other thing worth doing is make yourself a bug seine. Twenty five years ago, when my sons were little and learning to fly fish, I made a bug seine out of 1/2 inch EMT and some old door screen material. I'd have the kids roll over some rocks in the stream while I held the seine directly downstream ... this way you know exactly what colors, shapes, and sizes the fish are accustomed to seeing on THAT particular stream/river. This is a huge advantage that guys who buy flies at the shop can't match.
Last edited by dudejcb on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Oh, and don't be afraid that you're flies don't look as nice as those in the books. I found that my dorky looking flies actually fish better (providing they're not too far off the mark) than the really pretty ones ...maybe they look more like cripples and trigger the predatory instinct.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Sir Big Spur » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:08 am

Well I've spoken with a local shop owner who ties for Orvis and he recommended the Griffin Spider. It looks pretty solid and it's somewhat within my price range. I'll be ordering within the next couple weeks and I'll post some pictures of my progress, because I know they will be top notch :yes:

Went off the beaten path a little this weekend to hit some spots and they were sucking down Squirmy Wormies all day.
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:19 pm

dudejcb wrote:Oh, and don't be afraid that you're flies don't look as nice as those in the books. I found that my dorky looking flies actually fish better (providing they're not too far off the mark) than the really pretty ones ...maybe they look more like cripples and trigger the predatory instinct.

I'm great at tying cripples.

I also like to tie streamers with mallard flanks, just because I have so much of it. From perch to bass to steelehead and browns, everything likes them.

sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby conservation guy » Tue May 08, 2012 3:28 pm

Big Spur how is the hunt for a vise coming?
Its been great fishing up here and I hit the vise about 3 times a week mixing it up with trout / bass stuff.
having a good time tying flys and trying to fool fish with them.
Hope your making progress.
Keep us posted
conservation guy
hunter

Postby blackrhino » Sun May 13, 2012 3:29 pm

It's a shame you don't do saltwater. I have a huge amount of materials, hooks,eyes, threads, bobbins and a couple vises I could sell you,
Duck'n ain't easy!
blackrhino
hunter

Re: Septorinoplasti

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:21 pm

septorinoplasti wrote:This post contains useful information which helps us a lot. I have never seen such a great post. your wonderful post can inspire a lot and helps us. I visit your website often and share with my friends....keep sharing..
----------------------------------
Septorinoplasti

Does this make anyone else as uncomfortable as it does me? I'm hoping it's just a language thing, but I am NOT opening that URL!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 pm

conservation guy wrote:tied these monday night.
nice fly ties easy and catchs a ton of fish.
foam body with marker
i have done all sort of fish / colors/ flash / rattles patterns with this basic style.
you can fish it floating or sinking

Sorry c.guy, but in my opinion those are not flies. They are lures. Don't mean to be rude, and more power to you if you enjoy fishing with them, but just because they can be cast with a fly rod does not make them a fly! :biggrin: In my opinion a "fly" should imitate some stage of an insect's life. Imago, sub-imago etc. Even streamers are not flies. Nor is an egg imitation for steelhead.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby conservation guy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:22 am

glimmerjim the best part of this is post is who cares about your opinion!!!!
Go tie your own patterns
So glade to see yet another expert on the subject.......

I guess all those years of throwing streamers and anything that wasn't a fly according to you doesn't count as fly fishing.

Your opinion is like your brown hole just filled with BS
conservation guy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:28 pm

conservation guy wrote:glimmerjim the best part of this is post is who cares about your opinion!!!!
Go tie your own patterns
So glade to see yet another expert on the subject.......

I guess all those years of throwing streamers and anything that wasn't a fly according to you doesn't count as fly fishing.

Your opinion is like your brown hole just filled with BS

I'm glad you accepted my opinion in the spirit intended. I was afraid you would take it the wrong way. By the way.....that brookie you posted the picture of above......do they call that a fish yet or would that still be referred to as an egg? I was never sure at what stage the nomenclature transitions.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:59 pm

No response to my post whatsoever? Boy, I thought I had a gamer! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Next

Return to Fishing