Bass Fishing without a Boat

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Bass Fishing without a Boat

Postby luie b » Sun May 20, 2012 8:26 pm

I'm just getting back more into bass fishing (I used to be really avid back when I was 13). Back then I pretty much only ran the beetle spin lures because they're generally pretty cheap and work well. I to this day have never fished from a boat so it always kind of limited me to where I could fish. I'm very fortunate though to live on the Mississippi River with a lot of creeks that dump into the river and access to some ponds around here that were pretty well stocked with bluegill and bass. But what I wondered is if in those backwater areas of the Mississippi (the areas behind the lillies and lotuses where there's no current) are good fishing because I'm wondering if I've always overlooked bass fishing on the river. Also, I was wondering what other types of lures are good for fishing these creeks and areas like this. Any help or tips would be appreciated because I'm really excited to be getting back into fishing, sure does pass the time between hunting season. :biggrin:
luie b
hunter

Re: Bass Fishing without a Boat

Postby Duplex lover » Mon May 21, 2012 7:27 am

:huh: Way up Nort :thumbsup: here we fish more from the bank than the boat... Small mouth bass on the Missouri. We use the boat for access then crash it on the shore and fish from the back of the boat. What little Large mouth we have are in small 5 acer ponds out on the prairie. You need a little carry in boat to get out past the weed then fish back to them. Have you ever tried a "Thomson spoon" for weeds and pads? they work great out here and are mostly weed free. The plain silver ones seem to be just as good as the colored ones.
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:00 pm

For little creeks and backwater like you're talking about I would recommend several lures...
1. White/Chartreuse Spinnerbait
2.Square Billed Crankbait--I like a Chartreuse side with a Black or Blue back :thumbsup:
3. Zoom Brush Hog--Color will depend on water clarity
4. Rebel Topwater Pop-R
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed May 30, 2012 8:29 pm

mayhem96 wrote:For little creeks and backwater like you're talking about I would recommend several lures...
2.Square Billed Crankbait--I like a Chartreuse side with a Black or Blue back :thumbsup:
4. Rebel Topwater Pop-R

5. Jig and Pig!
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Nerdwick » Thu May 31, 2012 4:53 am

I have been using Berkely Powerbait (Blue Fleck) for the last 15 years about 90% of the time and have had great success.

Also try matching the worm or frog to the color of water you are fishing, and make sure the tail is a differant color.

But like I said blue Fleck is my go to. Look at these I caught on them and check out my daughters pics (Big Bass)

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=189380
Nerdwick
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu May 31, 2012 3:10 pm

ericrhaynes wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:For little creeks and backwater like you're talking about I would recommend several lures...
4. Rebel Topwater Pop-R

5. Jig and Pig!

True. Sometimes is a hassle to fish them in ponds as there is a ton of algae....
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu May 31, 2012 7:55 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
ericrhaynes wrote:
4. Rebel Topwater Pop-R

5. Jig and Pig!

True. Sometimes is a hassle to fish them in ponds as there is a ton of algae....

I forgot this was a fishing from shore topic. I usually run a few baitcasters with 50lb braided for running the heavy shore vegetation. Throw a pig into a hole, pop it a few times, if nothing throw to the next hole. Usually do a few passes then switch to something else, suprising how you can go back to the same hole 10 minutes later and pull one out.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:20 am

Yea or you go down a bank and someone catches on from underneath you :huh:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Crank bait never seems to fail me. Brightly colored little fish for murky water and in clear water I use the crawfish looking ones.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Return to Fishing