baitcaster

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

baitcaster

Postby ducks385 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:17 pm

anyone use the Abu Garcia black max 2?
If it flies it dies,If it hops it drops
User avatar
ducks385
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:39 pm
Location: Plover,Wisconsin central wisconsin


Re: baitcaster

Postby foldinducks » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:06 pm

it held up for light fishing so far.just doesnt seem to have the feel of the 6500/7000 series im used to.i bought a combo for bass/pike/steelhead , and i wasnt impressed with how light it was.it casts ok, but the verdict is still out as will it hold up.once duck season ends and we troll a few times for steelhead, and fight a few in open water well see if its a keeper.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:05 pm
Location: erie pennsylvania

Re: baitcaster

Postby ducks385 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:35 pm

foldinducks wrote:it held up for light fishing so far.just doesnt seem to have the feel of the 6500/7000 series im used to.i bought a combo for bass/pike/steelhead , and i wasnt impressed with how light it was.it casts ok, but the verdict is still out as will it hold up.once duck season ends and we troll a few times for steelhead, and fight a few in open water well see if its a keeper.

is it a okay rod for bass fishing slop?
If it flies it dies,If it hops it drops
User avatar
ducks385
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:39 pm
Location: Plover,Wisconsin central wisconsin

Re: baitcaster

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:08 pm

No if you want to fish slop(heavy vegitation) and be successful you need to spend some money. I use the revo winch because of the drag power and an 8' XXH Big Bear Rod, but any reel with over 20 lbs of drag power and any rod 7'6'' or longer in XH or heavier will work. I use all the different style revos for different situations and big bear rods because IMO the are the most comfortable and have great customer service
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....


Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
User avatar
rebelp74
hunter
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Elm Grove, LA

Re: baitcaster

Postby ducks385 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:15 pm

rebelp74 wrote:No if you want to fish slop(heavy vegitation) and be successful you need to spend some money. I use the revo winch because of the drag power and an 8' XXH Big Bear Rod, but any reel with over 20 lbs of drag power and any rod 7'6'' or longer in XH or heavier will work. I use all the different style revos for different situations and big bear rods because IMO the are the most comfortable and have great customer service

i am looking for something cheap for my first one.
If it flies it dies,If it hops it drops
User avatar
ducks385
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:39 pm
Location: Plover,Wisconsin central wisconsin

Re: baitcaster

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:30 pm

The only thing is if you're are fishing heavy slop it will tear up and you will be out money but if you saved up and spent the money in the long run you will come out ahead. I know this from experience when Iwas younger I wasted hundreds of dollars on the cheaper stuff.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....


Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
User avatar
rebelp74
hunter
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Elm Grove, LA

Re: baitcaster

Postby ducks385 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:29 pm

what about jigging is it a good reel we get up in the trees and jig tubes would it work then
If it flies it dies,If it hops it drops
User avatar
ducks385
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:39 pm
Location: Plover,Wisconsin central wisconsin

Re: baitcaster

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Are you still talking about the black max 2? I'm sure it isn't a bad reel and it would work, however, the gears and drag will burn out wether you keep it oiled or not it would probably last a year or so before it starts messing up.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....


Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
User avatar
rebelp74
hunter
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Elm Grove, LA

Re: baitcaster

Postby ducks385 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:30 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Are you still talking about the black max 2? I'm sure it isn't a bad reel and it would work, however, the gears and drag will burn out wether you keep it oiled or not it would probably last a year or so before it starts messing up.

i probably will than because i will only use it one year then get a new one.
If it flies it dies,If it hops it drops
User avatar
ducks385
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:39 pm
Location: Plover,Wisconsin central wisconsin

Re: baitcaster

Postby foldinducks » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:00 pm

it would be ok for a first baitcaster to use to learn on.once you get the feel of casting it though, buy a good one.i cast big lures...5oz-12oz .i troll, and my abu garcia 6500's take more punishment than ANY OTHER REEL . ive bought a few, and the abu's hold together better than any other.i dont pitch,dropshot,or finesse.i throw 80lb power pro at 25+lb fish and fight em out whatever disaster theyre in.i dont clean em till they make noise when i cast,leave em in the bed of my truck,and use em in the dead of winter here in the great lakes region.i dont like the low profile design for heavy tactics, but if you buy the 6500 abu garcia reel, ebay has an infintessimal list of after market parts for them.once you get the hang of casting a baitcaster, you wont go back to spinnning outfits for heavy lifting.theyre more accurate to cast , and they just have so much more power.you can cast all day and wont be exhausted.i want to say i spent 55 bucks for my black max , so find one, learn it , and become proficient with it, and call the first rod an investment in your fishing future.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:05 pm
Location: erie pennsylvania

Re: baitcaster

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:37 pm

I have 2 Black Maxes and like them. I would get a Veritas w/ a redo but I spend all my money on duck hunting so..
WIDrakeKiller
hunter
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: baitcaster

Postby DoscherHill » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:48 am

You really do need a nice reel with a lot of drag power, (which will be expensive). I would recommend the revo winch by Abu Garcia. This reel has good bearing with a decent drag for the price. I know you are looking for rods but I recommend the Shimano Clarus extra heavy worm and jig bait cast model. I use the medium heavy because I fish ponds and it hammers in the hook set.
DoscherHill
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:11 pm

Re: baitcaster

Postby bassmaster624 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:42 pm

I like abu reels.25 years of using the same 5.taking care of them is important.regular oiling and a yearly cleaning.most of them are 5501-c3 left handed.there are aftermarket parts out there that make the reels really shine.
women love me and bass fear me
User avatar
bassmaster624
hunter
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:43 pm
Location: greenville.pa


Return to Fishing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest