Duck Hunting Forum banner

bow fishing

4K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  NJDelt 
#1 ·
anyone ever tried it? how do you go about doing it? i am very interested.

#2 ·
there is alot of talk about it in the archery forum you should go there and check it out. next I would go to your local archery shop I they should have everything that you will need.

#3 ·
Its addictive, so be careful. Before I moved recently, my friends and myself were going every weekend. We only go at night. platform on the boat, with about 4000watts of lights. We would shoot 35-40 common carp every trip. And plus, you are doing gamefish and waterfowl a favor by taking out the rough and invasive fish.

#4 ·
:withstupid: It is the duck hunting of summer. Good thing is you can do it year round. If your up north where there is clear water you can do it during the day, just creep along banks and look for carp. Down here we pretty much only go at night we run a generator with halogen lights. Troll along the shallows and look for rough fish. Lots of people dont understand the reason for taking the rough fish but carp and other fish especially carp can be detrimental to a body of water. For more info I would check out bowfishusa.com There are plenty of guys there to help you get started and also some biologists that will explain in depth about the damage invasive species can cause. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
I love catching rainbows they are the best
;)

on topic I know a ton of people who bowfish for pike up here, pretty hard shot if you ask me looks like fun I was gonna try it for ducks actually lol

#8 ·
It is probably one of the funnest things you can do ( next to duck huntin). I got turned on to it this past summer and its amazing. I kinda have this thing where i can hit nothen one night and the next night I cant miss. Anybody got any tips on how to hit fish consistantly?

#10 ·
be extremely careful it is as addicting as duck huntin i started bowfishin about 4 years ago since then i have bought 3 bows and fixin ready to go buy another today. several arrows reels waders sunglasses and list goes on i am tryin to buy a boat this year but a good way to get started is to go to a local pawn shop and find a good deal on a older bow one that if you drop it in the water it wont really matter then order you an ams retriver reel and arrows with muzzy tips ether gar point or fish point will do u can order a lot of the stuff you need off of ebay and make sure the arrows have the saftey slides on them with out them you run the chance of snap back this is where the line gets tangled up in the bowstring causing the arrow to "snap Back" and if it hits you it can and probably will stick in you or at least cause some bleeding sorry for such a long post hope this helps you

#13 ·
it looks like a small deck on the front of the boat usually they are made of aluminum and wood or pvc and wood but be careful of the weight cap. of the boat it helps to see the fish a little better you dont have to use them when we take out my buddys boat we dont have one and i do a lot of wading becuase i dont have a boat they also make good mounts for hanging lights for night fishing

#15 ·
smackaduck said:
:withstupid: It is the duck hunting of summer. Good thing is you can do it year round. If your up north where there is clear water you can do it during the day, just creep along banks and look for carp. Down here we pretty much only go at night we run a generator with halogen lights. Troll along the shallows and look for rough fish. Lots of people dont understand the reason for taking the rough fish but carp and other fish especially carp can be detrimental to a body of water. For more info I would check out bowfishusa.com There are plenty of guys there to help you get started and also some biologists that will explain in depth about the damage invasive species can cause. :thumbsup:

nice :thumbsup: was that on TB?

ok i got a question. do you use a full size generator? seems like it would startle the fish.

#18 ·
And no that fish came out of the red. Ill post some pics this weekend weve got a tourney on the bend and Ill bet it takes 300 to win. :biggrin:

#19 ·
We got into it big time last summer. We go up to the finger lakes in NY and shoot them out of the weeds. Talk about a great time!

Here was a shoot from one afternoon.

And here is a shot of our hooked up rig. Plenty of arm power is used to stalk quietly around the lake.

#23 ·
Howdy Y'all....
NJDELT: love the Onieda, used to shoot a screaming Eagle. Don't see many of them in East Texas.
About the raised deck: Yes it helps. It reduces the Light deflection, therefore, reducing the amount of "under-shoot". Also makes seeing the fish easier.
Also, to help with larger fish (we have shot many aligator gar over 100 ibs), use a "Jug-line". Cheapo way is to use a 2-3 litre soda bottle, then tie 20-30 yards of line to it. On the other end, tie your arrow. When you see a large fish, use this arrow to shoot it with. after connecting with the fish, just kick the "jug" over the side and let it go. The fish may take it down, but they cannot keep it down. Follow it and you can pull the fish back up and get another shot. Be Careful!!!! Don't get caught up in the line. A large gar can tear your hand up or pull you in if you get the line wrapped around you hand. Just be careful, and have fun.

#24 ·
Rooter: Yea man, I love the Onieda...although it can get a little heavy after a few hours...

Here is another shot of my bow in action...Also, how do you think i would fare bringing a nice sized gar in my boat?? haha

Here is a pretty good picture after a morning shoot...its prob equal to about one gar i would guess...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.