bow fishing

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

bow fishing

Postby duckweed » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:55 pm

anyone ever tried it? how do you go about doing it? i am very interested.
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby jumpshooter » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:17 am

there is alot of talk about it in the archery forum you should go there and check it out. next I would go to your local archery shop I they should have everything that you will need.
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
jumpshooter
hunter

Postby DarkThirty Killer » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:19 pm

Its addictive, so be careful. Before I moved recently, my friends and myself were going every weekend. We only go at night. platform on the boat, with about 4000watts of lights. We would shoot 35-40 common carp every trip. And plus, you are doing gamefish and waterfowl a favor by taking out the rough and invasive fish.
There is no such thing as a cripple being too close!!! If so, you might never see it again. I'm not going to take that chance!!!
DarkThirty Killer
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:20 pm

:withstupid: It is the duck hunting of summer. Good thing is you can do it year round. If your up north where there is clear water you can do it during the day, just creep along banks and look for carp. Down here we pretty much only go at night we run a generator with halogen lights. Troll along the shallows and look for rough fish. Lots of people dont understand the reason for taking the rough fish but carp and other fish especially carp can be detrimental to a body of water. For more info I would check out bowfishusa.com There are plenty of guys there to help you get started and also some biologists that will explain in depth about the damage invasive species can cause. :thumbsup:

If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby yellodog1 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:28 pm

Its legal in Vermont. So is shooting fish in the sping with a rifle. Although not many people do it.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:03 am

I love catching rainbows they are the best
;)

on topic I know a ton of people who bowfish for pike up here, pretty hard shot if you ask me looks like fun I was gonna try it for ducks actually lol
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:06 pm

I love it. I shot over 200 carp this summer from one lake.

phutch30
hunter

Postby SouthARKduckslayers » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:10 pm

It is probably one of the funnest things you can do ( next to duck huntin). I got turned on to it this past summer and its amazing. I kinda have this thing where i can hit nothen one night and the next night I cant miss. Anybody got any tips on how to hit fish consistantly?
Nov. 22nd the river runs red .....

Mallards- 27

Grey's-74

Woodies-5

Teal-15

shovler-7

jacks-3

wedgion-37

pintail-3

Merganser-1

172 after 9 hunts
SouthARKduckslayers
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:01 pm

Shoot alot.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby 919QuackerStacker » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:59 am

be extremely careful it is as addicting as duck huntin i started bowfishin about 4 years ago since then i have bought 3 bows and fixin ready to go buy another today. several arrows reels waders sunglasses and list goes on i am tryin to buy a boat this year but a good way to get started is to go to a local pawn shop and find a good deal on a older bow one that if you drop it in the water it wont really matter then order you an ams retriver reel and arrows with muzzy tips ether gar point or fish point will do u can order a lot of the stuff you need off of ebay and make sure the arrows have the saftey slides on them with out them you run the chance of snap back this is where the line gets tangled up in the bowstring causing the arrow to "snap Back" and if it hits you it can and probably will stick in you or at least cause some bleeding sorry for such a long post hope this helps you
shoot first ask questions later
919QuackerStacker
hunter

Postby TNmatt83 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:13 pm

What does the platform on the boat that you shoot off of look like? Is a platform necessary or does it just help?
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby X_WATERFOWLER_X » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:45 pm

clear lake ca..... hell they even give you money to do it....lol
theres a bow carp shoot there, and it rocks....
old bread and cherrios is the ticket....

have you seen these videos.....
jumping carp.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEIu4l4mNVQ

another good one......enjoy and good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDQGdFngPjY
X_WATERFOWLER_X
hunter

Postby 919QuackerStacker » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:23 am

it looks like a small deck on the front of the boat usually they are made of aluminum and wood or pvc and wood but be careful of the weight cap. of the boat it helps to see the fish a little better you dont have to use them when we take out my buddys boat we dont have one and i do a lot of wading becuase i dont have a boat they also make good mounts for hanging lights for night fishing
919QuackerStacker
hunter

Postby SouthARKduckslayers » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:43 pm

had my first real good trip this past weekend. We shot 25 gar, one wieghing 20lbs. I think im really hooked now.
Nov. 22nd the river runs red .....

Mallards- 27

Grey's-74

Woodies-5

Teal-15

shovler-7

jacks-3

wedgion-37

pintail-3

Merganser-1

172 after 9 hunts
SouthARKduckslayers
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:07 am

smackaduck wrote::withstupid: It is the duck hunting of summer. Good thing is you can do it year round. If your up north where there is clear water you can do it during the day, just creep along banks and look for carp. Down here we pretty much only go at night we run a generator with halogen lights. Troll along the shallows and look for rough fish. Lots of people dont understand the reason for taking the rough fish but carp and other fish especially carp can be detrimental to a body of water. For more info I would check out bowfishusa.com There are plenty of guys there to help you get started and also some biologists that will explain in depth about the damage invasive species can cause. :thumbsup:

nice :thumbsup: was that on TB?

ok i got a question. do you use a full size generator? seems like it would startle the fish.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:18 am

No we run a full size genny and a 454 with cherry bombs. Doesnt seem to bother them. :rofl:

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby bushwacking » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:19 pm

we used to run a full size but we upgraded to one of the new hondas i think bow fishing is really fun when there are fish to shoot
quack quack boom

bushwacking
bushwacking
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:26 pm

And no that fish came out of the red. Ill post some pics this weekend weve got a tourney on the bend and Ill bet it takes 300 to win. :biggrin:

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby NJDelt » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:11 pm

We got into it big time last summer. We go up to the finger lakes in NY and shoot them out of the weeds. Talk about a great time!

Here was a shoot from one afternoon.

And here is a shot of our hooked up rig. Plenty of arm power is used to stalk quietly around the lake.
NJDelt
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:18 pm

you'd be in for a ride if ya get into a biggen :lol:
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby 919QuackerStacker » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:55 am

went yesterday and shot about 10 in 1 hour and the smallest was about 6 lbs still a little early for the really big ones and the lake is still low from the drought
919QuackerStacker
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:21 pm

Fish werent up like we planned so no pics. Only killed 130 mostly spotted gar.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Rooterduck » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:45 pm

Howdy Y'all....
NJDELT: love the Onieda, used to shoot a screaming Eagle. Don't see many of them in East Texas.
About the raised deck: Yes it helps. It reduces the Light deflection, therefore, reducing the amount of "under-shoot". Also makes seeing the fish easier.
Also, to help with larger fish (we have shot many aligator gar over 100 ibs), use a "Jug-line". Cheapo way is to use a 2-3 litre soda bottle, then tie 20-30 yards of line to it. On the other end, tie your arrow. When you see a large fish, use this arrow to shoot it with. after connecting with the fish, just kick the "jug" over the side and let it go. The fish may take it down, but they cannot keep it down. Follow it and you can pull the fish back up and get another shot. Be Careful!!!! Don't get caught up in the line. A large gar can tear your hand up or pull you in if you get the line wrapped around you hand. Just be careful, and have fun.
Howdy fron Deep East Texas.
Rooterduck
hunter

Postby NJDelt » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:45 pm

Rooter: Yea man, I love the Onieda...although it can get a little heavy after a few hours...

Here is another shot of my bow in action...Also, how do you think i would fare bringing a nice sized gar in my boat?? haha

Here is a pretty good picture after a morning shoot...its prob equal to about one gar i would guess...
NJDelt
hunter

Return to Fishing