BASS FISHING

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

BASS FISHING

Postby ncduckkiller » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:09 am

I wanted this to be a poll but could not figure out how to use the poll. When using a plastic worm, do you give a bass a couple of seconds to get the worm in it's mouth or do you set the hook as soon as you feel the bite? If you wait do you find the fish has swallowed the hook and if you don't do you have a high miss to catch ratio?
If you hunt WITH your kids now you won't hunt FOR your kids tomorrow.
ncduckkiller
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:38 am

i usually watch my line. the bass up here have a stange habit of doing 2 quick hits, then they slowly take it. so i watch the two hits on my line, then once they take it about 2 feet i go ahead and set the hook. seems to work pretty well.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby cONG » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:06 am

wach your line and wate tell it takes it deep water or let the bass run with it other words
cONG
hunter

Postby Deano » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:56 am

I used to let them run with it till they stopped then set the hook but the past few years I've hit them fairly quick and haven't noticed a difference in the amount of lost fish but have noticed that there are fewer that are hooked deep.

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:24 pm

if i can feel it i set the hook but can all depend on how active they are.
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Postby Hawk » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:24 pm

Depends on where my rod is position in my retrieve.
Lets say the pole is in the 10:00 position. my retrieve is just about over and the fish hits the bait. I'll reel down and set the hook.
If the fish hits the bait just after the cast hits the water, I'll reel in the slack and whack ém.
Keep this in mind. A C-Rig will cast a lot farther, so accommodate for the stretch in the line.
If your close quarters with a jig or T-rig worm flipping docks, trees etc..
not allot of line out. I'll set the hook immediately.
I fish quite a few bass tournaments and found that setting the hook immediately gets me more hook-ups than misses. :thumbsup:
Remember getting the rod in position is the key to quick hook-ups.
Good Luck Hawk
Last edited by Hawk on Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Butt- Belly- Beak- Boom
Hawk
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:04 pm

Also depends on the size of the worm you are fishing. When fishing smaller worms, I tend to set the hook quicker. However, when I fish a 11" worm, I let them take it. Many times, a bass will grab the tail of a large worm first, and then eat it up, if you set the hook to quickly you are simply ripping it from their mouths.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:35 pm

I used to watch the line , soon as i knew there was one there i set the hook, up here they dont hold on too long,Until i switched to gulp's those things are unbelievable, a bass will hold on to those long enough for you to eat a sandwich
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Hawk » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:52 am

I used to watch the line , soon as i knew there was one there i set the hook, up here they dont hold on too long,Until i switched to gulp's those things are unbelievable, a bass will hold on to those long enough for you to eat a sandwich

I've heard the same thing about the gulp worm also. I'm going to have too try some this year. Hank Parker said on his show he beleives in them, don't know if it's a sale pitch or not. but other anlgers I've talk to say bass tend to hold on them longer.

I'm not into the hipe of new things, call me "set in my ways" if a bass is going to hit your bait, he'll hit it. but they're times when bites are tough and I wondering if this bait would help in those conditions?
Last edited by Hawk on Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butt- Belly- Beak- Boom
Hawk
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:18 pm

Well you have to understand that a fish's best sence is his nose so anything you can add to your lure will help, espically when they get finicky, takeing the lure off before they take it. I was set in my ways too but i've been useing spray on stuff and salt lures. I a big worm fisherman so I like to chance things up and add stuff like rattles too. OH I love that SPIKE IT stuff. I like how it changes the color of some worms.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby grnheadhunter85 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:42 am

in my experiances with gulp worms i have found that bass do tend to hold onto them longer but so do bluegills and rockbass.....and they tear the hell outta gulp worms
Here we go boys, there coming around....wait for it, waait for it. Cut the GREEN!!
grnheadhunter85
hunter

Postby ksgooser » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:15 pm

I like to just lift my rod tip and feel when I know if fish hit it, if it starts to move away with the bait then set the hook, usually you can feel when he has it for good.
Cale Renollet
ksgooser
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:45 pm

Hawk wrote:

I have been a fairly serious bass fisherman for the last 25 years or so, even spent about 10 yrs doing the tournament thing, and i can tell you the GULPS are un real, i have never seen anything that a bass will hold onto for so long, it leaves a trail of scent in the water, so if you dont get hit on the 1st cast, you usually will on the 2nd or 3rd, try them, they work
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby whistlingwings » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:43 pm

I fish plastic worms every day where i'm at, two things seem to work best.

If i'm jigging the worm in and a fish hits, i drop the rod tip so the fish doesn't feel anything, reel in the slack quickly, then set the hook-hard.
3-4 sec after you first feel a hit is all you need to wait, any longer and you'll probably set the hook really deep or the fish will spit the bait.

If i'm just reeling the line in steady (which is surprisingly how i've caught my two 8+ lbs), and a fish hits I set the hook right away otherwise
the fish will feel the tension in the line you're reeling and let go.
Nobody cares about your season totals. Especially if you pay to hunt private.
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby Duck_Docter » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:05 am

the gulp to me work great, but they aren't very durable.

i think that they rip way to easy

so what i do is buy 1 bag of gulp and 1 bag of power bait and mix them together in the gulp bag and let it sit for a while

this gives the more durable bait the same smell as the gulp

and to answer your question: i watch my line... when the line starts to move i wait until its just about taught and the set the hook

this has worked great for me. good luck! :thumbsup:
Duck_Docter
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:09 pm

NC this coming from a guy who fishes in NC and knows the fish my neighbor and I usually wait a second and then set the hook, i use EWG hooks, as they increase my hooking percentage. go for it man
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Return to Fishing