Flyfishing

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Flyfishing

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:55 am

anyone on here flyfish a lot? I flyfish for trout, bass, panfish, and have even caught some catfish on the fly.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby quackingtim » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:50 am

I flyfish for smallies a lot. Last summer I started using salt water streamers and and been having lots of luck. Getting ready to go now.
quackingtim
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:46 am

Pretty much the bulk of my fishing. Back in MN, I'd start the season at Ice out looking for 'gills and crappie, then into bass, pike and trout. Some day I'd like to get walleye on the fly too.
My wife and I are finally taking our honeymoon this year to WA and are doing some flyfishing out there.
I thought I was hooked - and then I got into fly tying about 8 years ago. Now its real bad, but you wont hear me complaining!
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:06 am

besides flyfishing, i also tie flies, i've been doing that for 7 years now, i also build rods, i've built 9 rods in the last 2-3 years, i have a custom rod company that my friend and i started as a way to pay for hunting and fishing.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:34 pm

sounds cool, I've thought abotu getting into rod making at some point, but even my fly tying set up is organized so I can pick it up and move easy. My tying station just depends on whats available to work on at that time, so a rod building set up probably wouldnt work too well at this point.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

FLY FISHIN

Postby TW67 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:20 pm

I enjoy all types of fishing, but the fly has a special place in my heart. I just got a fly tying kit for my son, for Christmas. It's really rewarding to catch a fish, on a fly that you tied. Better yet, if it came from a duck, pheasant or rabbit that you harvest'd during hunting season.
REGULARS BY God!
TW67
hunter

Postby Professor Chaos » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:46 pm

i fly fish a ton. Steelhead, sea-run cutthroat and salmon... I build rods, tie flies and guide when i can...
send me a PM if you ever want to talk fly fishing. I'll post some pics in a bit...
Professor Chaos
hunter

Postby greenster » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:52 pm

I don't flyfish much as I like, But when I do its for Rainbows and browns on the little red river here in arkansas, But mostly my fly fishing time go to the Largemouth bass. As I have Two private Resivors that I practice on the fly tie'n and see what fly's work the best. Even though I cant tie anything but a Cricket and frog, (Large Things) I'm getting better..

nothing like catching a 10lb largemouth in the lilly pads on a #28 hook
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TW67 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:01 pm

PROFESSOR CHAOS, What coast line do you call home? I was stationed in up-state New York for 3 years. I've caught steelhead and salmon on spinning tackle, but man! I would love to tie onto one of them with a fly-rod. That has to a blast!!!
REGULARS BY God!
TW67
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:08 pm

greenster - If you don't tie frogs, you must not tie with foam. About the only thing I havent yet learned is spinning hair. I've messed with it a little bit, but I like tying frog poppers and whatnot with foam.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby mredmond » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:19 pm

I have not used a store bought fly in probably the last 20 years due to tieing my own for more time than that.
It is most enjoyable to catch fish on your own tied flies.
My best catch was a 50lb salmon in a small stream many years ago on an egg pattern I tied myself and I sight fished that bugger until it took the fly, 1 1/2 hours later it came to shore and was released alive back in the stream to spawn (fishing in a catch and release section).
What a gas that was.
A hunter is one with the world he/she hunts in.
A fisher is one that wants to be in the world he/she fishes in.
mredmond
hunter

Postby TW67 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:37 pm

I still buy some store ordered flies. Those small dry flies give me fits! Plus, sometimes I just like to try out new patterns w/o buying any new material. o.k.- kiskadinna, I'll bite, what's wrong with foam? PURIST???
REGULARS BY God!
TW67
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:15 pm

TW67 wrote:I still buy some store ordered flies. Those small dry flies give me fits! Plus, sometimes I just like to try out new patterns w/o buying any new material. o.k.- kiskadinna, I'll bite, what's wrong with foam? PURIST???

If that was unclear I apologize. When it comes to fly tying I like to think of myself as a non-traditionalist - basically I want a bug to ctach fish, not necessarily look like a catskill dry. I see know the "whatnot" might be the problem - I like foam - I might as well admit I follow my wife around hobby lobby and spend time in the aisle with the foam sheets. It's a problem, I know but I think some purists would just as soon have me not attend their tyers meetings.

A blue damsel interpretation for bass and panfish - poly pro and plastic.

I even have discovered Super 77 and like to build my own popper bodies. Might even have to give the dremel bugs a go some time.

The only deer or elk hair i typically do is EHCs and bullet heads on hoppers.
I like high sticking, dropper rigs and bass on the fly. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have spent even a portion of a day casting a dry upstream.
How's that for a purist. I will admit though I have developed an interest in chironomid larvae down to about 22s. The only flies I buy these days are when I'm going on a trip to a new place and I dont have time to tie.
Incidentally, my wife is doing her MS on the effects of human foot traffic on benthic invertebrates in a river system. Believe it or not, we can have two different conversations about the same exact thing. she says baetidae, I say BWO. Meh - thats the way life goes, and at least she understands my hobbies!
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby TW67 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:12 pm

KISKADINNA- I was just wondering on the foam :smile: I personally love the stuff, my hopper box would be bare without it! But, I can't bring myself into the whole gummy minnow thing. I believe it's strickly up to each person to decide on where to draw the line. Those craft stores are a treasure chest full of wonderful new ideas! p.s. I like you're blue damsel,poly pro, cool!!!
REGULARS BY God!
TW67
hunter

Postby TW67 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:24 pm

Kiskadinna- You wrote that your wife is doing a study on the effects of foot traffic in the river systems. I do alot of wading in small streams, and always wonder'd how much effect that it had on the bottom dwellers.If you would'nt mind, I would love to learn what she found out. Thanks!
REGULARS BY God!
TW67
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:16 pm

Once her thesis is published I would be happy to share the information. Preliminary data does show an impact on the EPT ratio (incidence of Mayfly, Caddisfly, and Stonefly related to Chironomidae) - which does indicate stress to affected sections of tributaries. Basically put, there is a cause and effect relationship in the case of the researched river system. The way i interpret the data she's shown me (I am by no means as well versed as she), there can be a significant affect in certain sections, but given the envrironment around the stream and type of use, populations can rebound. Short answer: there is an affect and if the stream is small, it may be affected more dramatically than larger streams. LOTS of variables though too it seems. I will keep you posted!
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Kiskadinna » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:24 pm

OK yeah, that sounds all jumbled. I will share the information when it comes out. This is why the guy with the recreation degree doesn't count bugs.
:lol: -Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:02 pm

i fly fish a good bit, tie my own flies, i'm a traditionalist if ya wanna call it that, i usually go out catch me some bugs that are hatching and put em in a jar and try to tie a few flys that look like em. I like it cause it gives you that sense of pride that "i caught a fish on a fly that i tied" ya'll know what i mean
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby Kiskadinna » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:58 pm

Always like to hear that younger folks are getting into tying - Travis you got any pictures you can post up of your flies?
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:09 pm

i wish i did, but i dont have a digi camera, i'll try with the scouting camera,
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:24 pm

SORRY FOR THE POOR QUALITY, maybe one of you could dress em up a little
there are ants, stone fly, umm gold ribbed hare's nymph, and some lt cahills and a adams standard.

once again i'm sorry so help me :smile:
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Postby Kiskadinna » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:11 pm

Naw, I get the picture - not all cameras take good pics up close. It would appear you tie a nice stonefly though - you are pretty traditional if you like tying cahills and adams. Good on ya and thanks for sharing.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Professor Chaos » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:03 pm

my friend and I just recently developed a new fly for the salt water up here. Really a good cutthroat fly and i have caught quite a few salmon on it. Very fun to essentially develope a new method to catch these fish and put out a productive fly to do it.
Umpqua picked it up and should be producing it in the near future.
Professor Chaos
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:39 pm

thanks man, yeah my cousin whos pretty old now told me a piece of advice the other day "thing is with fly fishing, by the time you get really good at it, you cant fish no more cause you're so old." man i bet he has at least 1000 flies tied and ready, i'm gonna call him up, he said he'd give me half of his tyin stuff. thanks ya'll once more :thumbsup:
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Postby TW67 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:49 pm

Another thing that I really enjoy about fly-fishing is, fly fishers seem to be more willing to help someone out. Try asking a bass fisherman what lure that he's catching the fish on. :rofl:
REGULARS BY God!
TW67
hunter

Next

Return to Fishing