Saginaw Bay Walleye

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Saginaw Bay Walleye

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:39 pm

With several strong years classes of fish, the fishing remains phenominal on the Bay with the ratio of legal to sublegal fish increasing with every year that goes by. The last three years have been great, and as suspected, this year has followed suit.

Heres some pics from some of our trips this season.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:29 am

Wow, that looks like some incredible fishing!! Looks like alot of fun. What is the quanity limit up there? We have had some great walleye days here in KS, with 2 and 3 man limits of 18"+ but nothing like that. Congrats!!!! :thumbsup:
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby pike_mazter » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:54 am

Its been a great last few years to be a michigander. I have yet to get to the bay but have spant many nights on the river with the brother in law. I have caught more eaters than ever! Of course coming from the Detroit River they tend to have a yellow and green glow to em. :lol:
pike_mazter
hunter

Postby rtbdrake » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:15 pm

Great job we had a good year on pool 4 of the Mississippi ... Would love to try your bay or Erie !!!!
If you shoot it you should eat it !!!!
rtbdrake
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:05 pm

Sorry guys,
I havent been on DHC in quite some time. Ive been busy fishing and unfortunately working the rest of the time. The walleye fishing on Saginaw Bay and it tributaries is better than its ever been...as far as quanity is concerned. Weve had several strong years classses of fish along with a decline in the lower levels of the food chain which have contributed to their explosion. Most notably, the decrease in alewife numbers is a direct corralation to the walleye population increase beacuse they were one of the top predators of walleye fingerling....Funny how that works. Along with alewife decreases, smelt and gizzard shad numbers have dwindled. Emerald Shiners, Spottail shiner, gobies and perch now make up the vast majority of a walleyes diet.

All of that aside, fishing is great and limits of 15-21" walleye can be expected. If you head for the deeper open basins you can hunt down soem bigger fish, but it requires patients. The monsters of Saginaw Bay are still there, just not in the numbers we were once accustomed to.

We've had a mix of hot and colder temperatures this summer, along with the right winds to keep the water temperatures at milder temperatures. Inturn the fishing remains strong opposed to the drastic drop off of the previous two years.....If you havent made it out, do so, fishings great....The Michigan walleye limit is 5 per day, 10 possession. The legal size limit is 15". You can fish 2 rods per man for walleye.

Ive been spending my time the last three weeks on the west side of the state targeting salmon and trout out of Ludington. Fishing has been great there as well. Lots of 10-12# Kings, a few Coho and steelhead mixed in as well. Headed back on Monday until Thursday, so this weekend im gonna head out after some walleyes.

Heres a few slideshows from last weekends salmon fishing on Lake Michigan. Click on each image to see each slideshow....Enjoy
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:51 am

It is good to live in Michigan huh??? I had the same results. This spring we caught a ton of walleye in the bay. I love the size of them. I caught two of them over 25" took a look at them and threw them back. I have never been a big fan of eating the bigger ones. I don't care about the whole spawning thing it is just they are thicker and not as tasty. I grew up in Ludington and have a 24' salmon slayer of a boat. We also really nailed the salmon this year. There were also many days that were back cleaning fish when the coast gaurd was raising their flags!
maddiedog
hunter

Return to Fishing