Trout Fishing

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON

Trout Fishing

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:42 pm

So i'm leaving to go camping and trout fishing sunday and there is a chance i could catch some brown trout which i have never caught before...i was just wondering if you guys had any tips on how to catch more trout when i'm up there it is mostly rainbows but there is some reports of browns being caught down at dogtown lake in northern arizona...so you guys have any tips or rigs that would be helpful?

thanks azduck13 :thumbsup:
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:55 pm

Are you going to fly fish or use a spinning reel? I am not a fly fisher, but I have caught a lot of rainbows and browns on an ultra light rig. A rapala countdown in rainbow or brown pattern works. Also try some gold colored spoons. You can do well on power bait, the floating ball stuff berkley makes. Live bait also works, sculpins and other river minnows are a big part of their diet. Crawfish tails and a white trout worm. Working down the evolutionary ladder for trout fishing at the bottom is good old corn. My biggest brownie came off of three kernels of corn a decent long shanked hook and some split shot about a foot or so up. The smaller diameter line the better 4 lbs test. Good luck.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:35 pm

I am no fly-fisherman either. For artificials I use rooster tails, floating rapalas, and strobes. For bait I use power bait and a worm on the same hook. I have had some success with artificials, but I catch 70% of mine on bait.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:29 am

yea i haven't managed to find anybody to show me how to fly i would love to do it but the pops really doesn't think as much of it as i do...yea i will be using a spinner thanks for the tips guys :thumbsup:
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby Ryan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:47 am

Big Browns are like pike. They will eat anything smaller than them. I would use a flyrod myself with some streamers, damselfly, or minnow patterns. If you cant use a flyrod small rapalas, spinners, and spoons will get you fish. Just remeber they dont get big for no reason they are smart.

In streams look for areas where the grass hangs over the banks (wheres its deep) and let your fly drift across or retrieve a rap across there.
Ryan
Three Rules of Hunting Birds Over a Dog
1. Don't shoot the dog
2. Don't shoot the dog's owner
3. If you break Rule 1 hurry and break Rule 2
Ryan
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:29 pm

Ryan wrote:Big Browns are like pike. They will eat anything smaller than them. I would use a flyrod myself with some streamers, damselfly, or minnow patterns. If you cant use a flyrod small rapalas, spinners, and spoons will get you fish. Just remeber they dont get big for no reason they are smart.

In streams look for areas where the grass hangs over the banks (wheres its deep) and let your fly drift across or retrieve a rap across there.

Good advice Ryan I don't know what I could add.
For spinning gear, I've always done well with mepps inline spinners or panther martins, size and color vary but a silver blade always seems to work well.
As far as fly gear, again it depends on the forage that is available, but sculping flies, clouser minnows or wooly buggers will work and often can be fished on light spinning tackle. Crayfish patterns can be part of their diet as well. This time of yearc grasshoppers are a possibility but my experience is limited with regards to browns and hoppers.

report back!
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Ryan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:49 pm

I should also say that you should run to your local outdoor store and buy some bobers you fill with water. Put a fly about 2 or 3 feet down from the bober and you can now use flys.

Flip some rocks, look at the bugs, look for leeches, and look for minnows this will tell you what to fish.
Ryan
1. Don't shoot the dog
Ryan
hunter

Postby Ryan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:17 pm

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0000022114624a&navCount=1&podId=0000022&parentId=cat20289&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20289_TGP&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20289&hasJS=true&hasJS=true

This si what I am talking about. Buy one that is chart or orange this way it can be a strike indicator as well. Some flies you just cast out and leave there. The bobber will tell you when you have a strike. I use them when its too windy to use my fly rod and they work great.

Something like this in green, black, or brown works great for me. If the fish are deeper then use the ones with a bead head. These ones I like the strip back with short fast strips to make it wave in the water.

These work great in the late morning or early afternoon

Foam hoppers work great if you are fishing a stream. Let it drift from the head of the pool all the way to the end.
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat380005_TGP&id=0030342319355a&navCount=11&podId=0030342&parentId=cat380005&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat380005&hasJS=true

This works great as well. Fish the same way as the hopper. Just let it drift

Crayfish. Strip this fly along the bottom slowly.
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0030363315523a&navCount=15&podId=0030363315523&parentId=cat380003&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20431-cat380003&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat380003&hasJS=true

Any of these work well as well.
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0023260&navCount=17&parentId=cat380001&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20431-cat380001&parentType=index&indexId=cat380001&rid=
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0018080310195a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=Muddler+Minnow&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=Muddler+Minnow&noImage=0

With that bubble bobber these will all work great.
Ryan
1. Don't shoot the dog
Ryan
hunter

Return to Fishing