Trout Magnet

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Trout Magnet

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:07 pm

Have any of you fellows used the trout magnet lures for Rainbows, and if so what was the outcome Thanks
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Re: Trout Magnet

Postby micneador » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:32 pm

Love em. Used just about every cooler they make, jig head, and even the trout slayers.
depending on what you fish it can be worked several ways. In rivers it is deadly drifted under a cork or sight fished twitching it in front of their face.
In stocked ponds and small lakes, I tend to work the weed lines with the 1/32 oz heads. Let it hit bottom and twitch it with a high rod tip. Best worked with an UL rod. Keep the line tight on the drop, sometimes they'll pick it up then.

Best colors in my opinion are gold, pink, red, orange, and white.
They do make mini magnets which are the same, just smaller and with a 1/100 oz head. Dead drifted or under a str i ke indicater with a 4 weight fly rod is a blast.

On a side note, the white magnets work great for shallow water sand bass, or white bass for you yankees.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks for the info, Myself and 5 friends make a 4 day trip to Roaring River State Park in Missouri each June and I was wanting to try something different in lures this year. We normaly start the day with Rooster Tails and then switch to jigs. I did a little web searching and found out about the magnet and have been curious about them. I really like the float method so looks like Ill be placing an order with the Trout Magnet folks.

Also, I'm wondering when using your UL, do you use a fluorocarbon leader. Ive read that trout can see regular mono fishing line due to the light reflection it gives off as its not 100% clear ,so, a fluorocarbon leader is a must in clear water. I do use 2 pound mono, copolymer line on a Shimano Stradic and St Croix Premier UL Rod combo. I tried the 2 pound fluorocarbon line and didn't like the way it casts on my outfit
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby micneador » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:09 pm

Myself and 5 friends make a trip to Roaring river State Park in Missouri each June

NOW you're talkin. Roaring river has been my stomping grounds for years. Both summer and winter.

I use the S.O.S. (also made by Leland lures) 2lb on a phluger president on a 7' BPS micro lite, with a 6'6" TFO 2wt fly rod for back up.
Take your hair jigs to zone 2, lots of bigger fish in that zone.
Since you probably know the whole move often, change colors idea. Dont be afraid to use some cone head wooly buggers with a pair of bb split shots, as well as giving Mr. Tim Homesly some buisiness and getting some pellet flies for the 2 holes right by the hatchery.
Had days where I can sit on top of the jetties and catch 30+ in a day.
one last tip and I'll quit wear in you out. Take a #14 cheese worm hook and float the magnets on top, on super tough days. It'll pick up a few good fish at high noon.

BTW, check under the 2nd bridge for that MONSTER brown that hangs out there.

Good lord, now you're makin me want to head up there for the weekend. :biggrin:
micneador
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:39 pm

Thanks for the info, its appreciated. we usually rent 2 of the cabins above the campground, lower level, we open the door between the cabins and have 2 of everything. We used to get up really early ,fix breakfast and then head down to our favorite holes, stand and wait until the siren. But, 2 years ago we changed the routine. Now we sleep in a bit later, go down to the stream and get our spots about a hour ahead of the siren, fish 2 hours and then 3 guys go dress the fish while the other 3 fix breakfast, then we go back and fish until lunch, then after lunch we spend the rest of the afternoon fishing the stream by the campground, its not nearly as crowded and often on Mondays and Tuesdays have it to our selves. Damn its a long time till June.

BTW I ordered a bunch of items from Troutmagnet as well as 10,000 yard spool of 2 pound SOS
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby micneador » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:18 pm

My best times by far are 10-2, but I've been teaching my sister the art of sight fishing .rolleyes: so I'll take her down for the 10 minute frenzy.
if you ever get a feel for it, go back in august and throw some of tim's foam black beatles on the fly. Nothin like a big bow suckin one of those things down. You talking about the cabins up by the old shop? Or the cabins over around the middle of zone 1?
micneador
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:09 am

micneador wrote:My best times by far are 10-2, but I've been teaching my sister the art of sight fishing .rolleyes: so I'll take her down for the 10 minute frenzy.
if you ever get a feel for it, go back in august and throw some of tim's foam black beatles on the fly. Nothin like a big bow suckin one of those things down. You talking about the cabins up by the old shop? Or the cabins over around the middle of zone 1?

Way to hot for me in August LOL

The cabins we stay in are I believe the furthest south , theyre on a hill above the camp ground number 3, they were redone about 4 years ago and are really nice. You can drive your car right up by them and unload, no climbing of stairs or anything. I believe the ones we have reserved for this year are number 27 and 28. They have 2 bedrooms and a pull down double bed, full kitchen with new appliances, big shower, etc. They are a four plex type cabin and we get the 2 lower cabins because they have a fire pit and BBQ grills.

I looked at the pellet flies on a trout supply site a few minutes ago, they had a brown color that looked almost the same as the pellets they feed the fish, I could see why they would be deadly especially there by the hatchery
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:00 pm

I was wondering does the 7' BPS micro lite alow you to throw micro lures without any problem. The one I just looked at on their site says its for 1/16th lures Thanks
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby micneador » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:20 pm

Mine says 1/32- 1/4

With a 1/64 jig head and 1 bb split shot I can throw all the way across most of the river.

Way to hot for me in August

Not when you're wading the C&R zone. Can you say COLD NUTS?
micneador
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:00 pm

micneador wrote:Mine says 1/32- 1/4

With a 1/64 jig head and 1 bb split shot I can throw all the way across most of the river.

Way to hot for me in August

Not when you're wading the C&R zone. Can you say COLD NUTS?

Evidently they don't make a 7 foot like yours any more, they don't list one for 1/32-1/4. But I looked at several on the net today, so I have plenty of options

Thanks
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby rikasam2013 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:53 pm

One of my goto lures. Trout, panfish, bass....all bite em.
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:55 pm

Ive done a lot of rod looking the last 2 days on the internet and spent some time at Gander Mountain and Cabelas. I think Ill buy a 7 foot St Croix to put my Shamano Stradic on. It ought to toss those little lure real well.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby ShooterNJ » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:52 am

There in the box next to my panther martins.. Always a go to, I like pink by far. Fish them like you would drift bait for trout, just let them bounce the bottom and the trout will do the rest. Also Berkley makes a 1"panfish nymph, its a simple jig with a bunch of small paddles and curly tails, it SLAYS TROUT. Fish it with a 1/32 either kind of swim it like a woolybugger or bounce the bottom deadly! If they don't hit the bright colors try some of the darker more natural colors. Here is a link, http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products ... ower-nymph
ShooterNJ
hunter

Return to Fishing