Big Big bass and Swim Baits

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON

Big Big bass and Swim Baits

Postby SouthARKduckslayers » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:47 am

I've got a lake five miles away where I've seen people catch and Wildlife Officers Shock up multiple 10+ lb. fish, but i can not, to save my life, get one of those hogs on. Yea I've caught several six and seven pound fish, but im talking about Mody **** here. I got the Idea of Running a big Swim bait and the creek channel here recently but I've never fished like that before. Anybody have any tips?
Nov. 22nd the river runs red .....

Mallards- 27

Grey's-74

Woodies-5

Teal-15

shovler-7

jacks-3

wedgion-37

pintail-3

Merganser-1

172 after 9 hunts
SouthARKduckslayers
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:08 pm

Yea, get coach sisson's daughter to teach you how! :lol: :yes:
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby SouthARKduckslayers » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:05 am

ahhh ... how funny! :thumbsup:

Mallards- 27

Grey's-74

Woodies-5

Teal-15

shovler-7

jacks-3

wedgion-37

pintail-3

Merganser-1

172 after 9 hunts
SouthARKduckslayers
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:25 am

If you are going to throw big swimbaits, make sure you get the right rod for it. You need something with an XH fast action. A few rod companies now are making swimbait specific rods. I use a Reddington, nice rod at a decent price. Shimano Crucials are nice too. St Croix makes a swimbait premier that is awesome but very costly.
for baits, my favorite is probably the ms slammer. Monster Jack IT is nice too for a little different look. If you can get a Rago Rat old model (broken back) they were awesome but no longer made. Huddleston deluxe too.
what is the bait fish in the pond? How warm is the water this time of year? I am not familiar with fishing in that part of the country. Are you keying on a topwater bite or down deep?
For me, the biggest obstacle was getting over the idea that they were too big. There really is no sense in throwing something smaller. I have caught tons of 10" 1lb LM's on a 9" lure. They are seriously aggressive.

for a little smaller of a lure, if you don't have the right rod to throw on of the big boys, check out mattlures. Baby bass and sunfish are awesome. If there are perch in there, that perch is the most lifelike pattern I have ever seen. They hold up o'kay, but for the price, you can beat them, and at less then 2 ounces, you can throw them on almost any heavy action rod.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby SouthARKduckslayers » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:09 pm

NH, Thanks for that Info. I deffinatly hadn't thought about the rod with the big baits. I had planned on fishing deep. Hunting season for me has started so im done fishing for a while and wont start back until after jan. Soooo I planned on starting in Feb. with the swim baits. Temp should be very cool.

Mallards- 27

Grey's-74

Woodies-5

Teal-15

shovler-7

jacks-3

wedgion-37

pintail-3

Merganser-1

172 after 9 hunts
SouthARKduckslayers
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:36 am

If you are fishing deep, your options are much different and much more limited. there aren't nearly as many deep water swimbaits, and most of them are trout patterns. I've never been to arkansas, but for some reason I am thinking there aren't many trout ponds with bass swimming around in them. Whats the forage? Sunfish and perch?
Check out Black Dogs Shellcracker sunfish pattern. Wicked nice looking bait. And for you guys that think throwing swimbaits only works for big fish. Check out this little guy that hit a 3 ounce 9" MS Slammer last night.

NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby SouthARKduckslayers » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:02 am

wow .... little guy with a bad hunger problem lol. Yea no trout where im talkin about fishin. I wanna catch ol mobby bad.

Mallards- 27

Grey's-74

Woodies-5

Teal-15

shovler-7

jacks-3

wedgion-37

pintail-3

Merganser-1

172 after 9 hunts
SouthARKduckslayers
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:02 pm

to heck with swim baits, go with a 1/2 or 3/8 oz pig n jig in brown colors, if that doesn't work slow roll a spinnerbait along a deep rocky point if that doesnt work, take your swimbait and throw way past the point and twitch all the way back to the boat, i usually dont have to go to the spinnerbait plan, cause i've caught multiple 8-12 lb bass on my jig. it takes patience but it works
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby SouthARKduckslayers » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:01 pm

yea the good ole pig n jig lol .... I've never fished real hard with them. One reason I havent is because i don't have a lot of patients with it ha. I just started fishing with them last year and had some success. First fishin trip this year was in a small pond about a mile from my house. I started with the jig and ended up catching three nice catchfish! lol No bass sorry to say. Never in my life have I caught so many catchfish while bass fishing.

Mallards- 27

Grey's-74

Woodies-5

Teal-15

shovler-7

jacks-3

wedgion-37

pintail-3

Merganser-1

172 after 9 hunts
SouthARKduckslayers
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am

lets see some pics of these 12 lb monsters
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:54 pm

SouthARKduckslayers: Its getting about that time... spawning time.. It's about the only time of the year I can catch 10lb+ largemouth consistently. I'll be out every day during the pre-spawn and spawn. While everyone else is partying in flordia, I'll be on the water.

IF you truly want the best chance at catching the monster, You got to Bed/ sight fish. Even though there is lots of controversy about it its really effective.. .100x more than the mojo.

all you need is three packs of white lizards. WHITE lizards. And some polarized glasses. troll around in the shallows, where there is lots of cover and little people fish. I use my 1436 duck boat during this time. , so I can get in the nastiest places. find a Bed, its good to practice on the smaller fish until you can get it down, But throw the lizard directly on the Bed. And wait for the fish to come and move it. It will be 100% defensive strike, don't go binding on ever time the fish picked it up, Wait until the fish takes it and tries to kill it.. you'll know when it tries.. If you don't know how or what I'm talking about your welcome to come with me and I'll show you , I guess I'm about 2 hours from you. Note it may take a hour or three to catch that big one, but its worth the time.

I'll be on lake Monticello, and some private lakes.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DC KILLER » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:10 pm

hey greenster:
southarkduckslayers is one of my best buds and i promise ya he'l take u up on the offer. and if he dont i will :yes: haha.... seriously he's a good ole country boy who loves some huntin and fishin and will be down for workin a few hours before findin ole mr. saggybelly and gettin him to bite :thumbsup:
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:37 pm

Who ever, I'm expecting them to be on spawn around the 15-30th of march. I need to head to Monroe and get some fishing gear. I'll be out fishing some around the 18th then Got the whole week of the 24 to fish every day.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DC KILLER » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:09 pm

pm sent greenster
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Postby SouthARKduckslayers » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:35 pm

Sounds like a plan. I've been tryin to make myself go to monticello for a couple of years now, and I really cant tell you why I haven't. I've heard its one of the best bass lakes in Arkansas. I def. know what your talking about on the "flash", I bed fish while I can ... its some exciting stuff. I have a 14ft flat bottom that can get through some nasty stuff so me and ole DC might meet ya out there one day. I have a tournament on the 8th and 29th of March but anytime after that is fair game. Ill be sending ya some pm's to get the info ....

Mallards- 27

Grey's-74

Woodies-5

Teal-15

shovler-7

jacks-3

wedgion-37

pintail-3

Merganser-1

172 after 9 hunts
SouthARKduckslayers