Best all time dry fly.................

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Best all time dry fly.................

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:12 pm

There are tons of great dry flys out there............

The old Royal Coachman is hard to beat in white water.......

The Humphy is a great all time "high float" fly...........

The Caddis will work almost every where.............

However if I could only have jusy one fly, it would have to be the........

ADAMS !!

What do you think ?
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:00 pm

You offer some good ones - I think a lot of people's go-to is an Adams for good reason. Even given that, I think I still would go for an elk hair caddis for all around. I think part of that is based on the fact that I can still tie those better than any typical Adams.
I'm curious to see what others have to say.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:26 am

Reading the first post I though "Oh yeah, Adams, all the way".
Then after the second I was saying "No, definately a black elk hair caddis".

But considering those two... I will have to go with a green kaufmanns stimulator!!

But it depends so much on the water, location, and time of year. I'd have to throw a Chernoybyl in to the fray too. Lets not forget our terrestrial friends. :thumbsup:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Ottercreek » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:54 pm

Of course the Adams is a fantastic fly. I fish most of them tied parachute style in miriad sizes and can generally take fish on them if there is a hatch of some sort.

The EHC is another tremendous pattern and I tie it in sizes from 18 to 6.
(Its amazing how often I can fool a trout into thinking its a hopper)

If there is no hatch evident I'll nearly always start with a coachman trude in sz 14 and tie a sawyers pt onto the hook bend as a dropper. I like to fish this combo downstream using a slack line cast and pull it under at the end of the drift and strip it back. Not sure if the fish take it for a minnow or a diving caddis. But they really smoke this fly. It also works great if one allows it to drift back deep into a log jam before pulling it under.
And since hatches can come and go but I fish regardless I'll cast my vote to the old nearly forgotten trude.
Ottercreek
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:57 pm

elk hair caddis, it can represent quite a few insects and works nearly everywhere.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:52 pm

i tie flys for me and my dad's friends and the one they ask for most is an adams fly be it parachute or regular, i like the lt cahill in the fall around here
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby JM Mallard » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:39 pm

idahofowler wrote:elk hair caddis, it can represent quite a few insects and works nearly everywhere.

I agree. If I'm walking onto a new body of water that I've never fished before (and I'm hell-bent on throwing a dry fly), then an elk hair caddis is my choice!
JM Mallard
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:14 pm

An Adams looks like a lot of things, from mayfly to caddis to small hopper. Same for Elk Hair caddis (except the mayfly of course). they're both pretty suggestive and not particularly specific... in the same way a hares ear looks like several differnt nymphs, scuds, or a cased caddis... or a trout hatchery pellet if using brown dubbing tied fat.

But the one thing I do like is tying them parachute style. I like the way they float lower, more in the film, and fish have a better window to see 'em coming, and begin to salivate.

However, my favorite flies are probably wets with a sparse partridge hackle (in whatever color body is hatching), that are tied on 8 to 12-inces below a dry that also acts as a strike indicator. This is especially effective if you're drifting a river as the dropper has more of a chance to go under as you move along with the current. Often a fish will rise to the dry and refuse, but grab the wet on it's way back down. Or take the wet or the dry all the way. I catch about 50-50 one each using this combo.

The only drawback is that when you're drifting and snag, while tring to toss 'em up under and behind overhanging limbs, you wind up losing flies two at a time. So you need to be a tyer, not a buyer.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Return to Fishing