Catfishing

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Catfishing

Postby thomashamm2 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:00 pm

Hi guys. I normally do not fish for catfish as a have no placeto do so. A hunting friend invited me to go fishing with him in the near future to a pond that has bass and cats. He's not a big fishermen so I doubt he's fished it yet. I have a set up for bass and panfish, but I don't know what to get for cats. I doubt they will be very big and I don't know the species of catfish either. What would be a relatively cheap rod and reel setup and how to rig my bait. Any info would be appreciated
thomashamm2
hunter

Re: Catfishing

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:16 am

Depends on what kind of catfish are in the pond. Theres 3 main types, channel catfish that can get upwards of 30 pounds but typically average between 5 and 10. And then there are blues and flatheads. Those fatties are much larger, and can get up to 100 lb. State record blue in Maryland is 86lbs, with your average blue getting to be between 30-50lbs. Flat heads probably average around 50lb. That should tell you the size rod and reel you need. Catfish are typically bottom feeders, so put some weight about a foot above your bait to keep it in their feeding zone. If theres a lot of algae or underwater vegetation, you may have to keep your bait out of the weeds and use a large bobber. Tough to say though since I cant see the pond. Use chicken liver, gizzards, stinky dough bait or my preference is fresh cut bait(i cut up pieces of bluegill or creek chubs, thee more oily the better)
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby micneador » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:08 pm

If it's a pond they will more than likely be channel cat. I use my extra MH bass rod, 1oz. egg sinker above a swivel, 18" leader to a circle hook. FRESH (can't emphasize enough) cut shad/bluegill/crappie will get bites. I also use punch bait, Google it. Use a #6 treble hook, a cork, and a few split shots.

Last year we were using our 8' crappie rods with punch bait and corks below keystone dam, catching #5-6 channels consistently. Had a blast doing it.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:47 am

image.jpg
Here you go! Minnow on a big Gamakatsu circle hook, 2' leader with an egg sinker sliding above a swivel. Hold on......
blackrock
hunter

Return to Fishing