catch and release

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

catch and release

Postby zier » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:49 pm

post comment back if you agree with catch and release on bass, because around western washington these lakes are getting targeted hard for bass to eat
zier
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:31 pm

i personally have no problem with it, in NC we have a 5 bass per person limit, so we dont have that problem. good luck to ya
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby zier » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:40 pm

do you keep the larger bass that you catch such as a 5 lb hen
zier
hunter

Postby Professor Chaos » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:45 pm

i have no problem with bass retention in most lakes, mainly because they are an introduced species to that lake and compete with the native cutthroats.
Professor Chaos
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:49 pm

depends if i caught some that yr that weighed that much, usually no i dont, but occasionally i will, i have caught a bunch that weighed over 7 and released em. usually when i go out i catch 5 fish that weigh about 3-6lbs apiece. ohh and i dont eat bass my neighbor does though
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby zier » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:49 pm

ya down in your area i dont think that it is to big of deal but up here it takes a while for a bass to reach 5lb +
zier
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:00 pm

I agree with the whole C&R thing but it only works as long as everyone else does. I also think it depends on the pond/lake etc. I've been on ponds/lakes that I didn't no about and new weather I should c&r or not based on how and where I caught fish. Conservation should be on everyones mind while hunting or fishing if they want there kids, grandkids to have and enjoy what they have.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TW67 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:26 pm

Catch and Release on the bigger fish, but keep some smaller ones for dinner. A protective slot size, 12'' to 18'' has seemed to really improve a fishing spot that i go to. My self, i usually release my bass, except during winter, ice fishing i will keep one or two.
REGULARS BY God!
TW67
hunter

Postby hatchiecoon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:05 pm

there's more to it than release or filet. Every lake is in different stages and the population differing. You can release them all and they CAN starve for competition for food. I've caught bass so skinny they didn't have a good filet both sides together. You have to see what your catching, the shape they're in and the condiitons of the lake. And more.
hatchiecoon
hunter

Postby mojo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:58 am

I've never kept a bass (striped or large/smallmouth). I used to keep a few walleye, perch, and gills, but now a days if I want fish for dinner I'll just pick up some tilapia (and sometimes haddock) fillets from the store. They're cheap, taste awesome, and totally resolves any issues.

I have released a couple mounters in my life too. It was a tough choice but I'm happy I did. I can always get a replica made.
mojo
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:41 am

mojo wrote:I've never kept a bass (striped or large/smallmouth). I used to keep a few walleye, perch, and gills, but now a days if I want fish for dinner I'll just pick up some tilapia (and sometimes haddock) fillets from the store. They're cheap, taste awesome, and totally resolves any issues.

I have released a couple mounters in my life too. It was a tough choice but I'm happy I did. I can always get a replica made.

LMB taste like a handful of mud, smallies from cool clear water can be good, and we have some lakes that need thinning of the population, I may keep a smallie here and there. LMB are cat food and i don't own a cat.
Now Mojo, stripers, thats another story. They are awesome eating fish, and there are more then enough around. I tend to keep one or two a year. My kids don't eat them , so one decent sized one will last me most of the summer.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

catch and release

Postby Big Jim » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:14 pm

I dont keep freshwater bass..well maybe one or two a year through the ice, now stripers i agree are alittle different, to good to pass up i usually keep a few keepers every year....but all summer long i catch and release......
TIGHT LINES!!.....Big Jim
Big Jim
Newb

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:37 pm

There is nothing wrong with keeping 14" bass for diner.....

I just hate to see bass taken off the "Beds"........

No babys.........no bass !!

Plus the Hogs make a great "Picture" and should be released to make more "Hogs".

Every lake or water has its "size" to take home and those to release.

Get er done !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:39 am

We have slot limits and fish limits. When we go bass fishing we keep a limit, the slot limit is whats protecting the fish here.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby water_swatter01 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:07 am

I typically release all bass. On very rare occasion I'll keep a couple smaller ones while I'm out panfishing.
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:58 pm

Any big trophy fish gets released. They are the big breeder females that make up the good genetics in a lake. I do fish a small farm pond that the owner wants me to keep what I catch. Way to may stunted LMB and BG.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby berettaguy17 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:22 pm

i let about 99% of my fish go everyonce in a while when im hungry for fish i take one or two not a limits worth. ive let a 9 pound largemouth go before and thats very rare in illinois im working on the state record this year im going to get it
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:20 pm

I can only eat about 3 trout a year so all the rest are released unless they're bleeding are are going to die anyway. Same for Bass. they're not much good after they're frozen anyway.

I DO keep almost all the crappie, walleye and catfish I catch depending on size and limit.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Return to Fishing