Lakes near you?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Lakes near you?

Postby frazier2209 » Tue May 10, 2005 1:38 pm

What freshwater lakes are near your town, and what do you fish for out of them? :smile:
frazier2209
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Tue May 10, 2005 3:20 pm

Normandy,Tims Ford,& Woods Resivor. I fish for mostly large mouth bass & crappie. :smile:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Tue May 10, 2005 11:03 pm

Lakes Sinclair and Oconee, but the fish are not really much to brag about. Some bass, catfish, brim, and crappie. Oh, and some water mocassins. The skiing and beer drinking are better! My husband might disagree, but I think the best fishing around here is in his uncle's beaver pond. We have an 8-pound bass on our living room wall that he caught in it.

:thumbsup:
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed May 11, 2005 12:32 pm

In My home town of Minneapolis, there are a lot of lakes to choose from. Lake Calhoun, which is a very popular recreation area with paths for walking and biking all around the lake. A road also wraps itself around the lake in close proximity to the lake, as it does for many lakes within the city. It kind of takes the fun out of fishing, so i've fished it only a couple of times in my whole life. I see folks that fish it every day they can, all year long.
Where I spend more of my time fishing is up in northern MN, around Brainerd and such. many more lakes, big and small to choose from. You could say we're blessed to have this many lakes around us! BTW, "Land of 10,000 lakes is actually a misnomer, from what I understand there are almost 12,000 lakes or close to that. Take your pick!
I fish for bass, walleye and crappie. Trout when I get the chance on another lake/stream.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby vikingsfan » Wed May 11, 2005 1:02 pm

Theres about 5 lakes in Oklahoma but we have a place at Texoma...Striper fishing is amazing!!!! We always catch alot of fish.
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby Dogman » Wed May 11, 2005 4:26 pm

There is a few near my place,one is Estes lake and theres Lake Arrowhead.Both are impoundments made by daming up rivers.Good bass pickerel and crappie fishing.Pike have found there way into some of the local water but I haven't caught one yet.
Sebago lake is a 1/2 hr north,it has Landlock atlantic salmon,lake trout,brook trout,Large and smallmouth bass,crappie,perch(white and yellow) and now Pike.Sebago is over 300 ft deep,big and beautiful.Shame I haven't fished more often.
While its not a lake the Atlantic ocean is a short drive down the road.Its got plenty from mackeral,flounder,pollock,cod,bluefish and stripers to giant bluefin tuna and Sharks on the list of available fish,haven't caught a tuna or shark yet(least not a big shark)but I will atone for this someday :yes:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gahunter » Wed May 11, 2005 6:58 pm

HuntingWife wrote:Lakes Sinclair and Oconee, but the fish are not really much to brag about. Some bass, catfish, brim, and crappie. Oh, and some water mocassins. The skiing and beer drinking are better! My husband might disagree, but I think the best fishing around here is in his uncle's beaver pond. We have an 8-pound bass on our living room wall that he caught in it.

:thumbsup:

Please excuse huntingwife's spelling, for she is fairly new to the sport of fresh water fishing. It is bream and my uncle's pond was not made by beavers, but by humans and bulldozers. There are lots of beavers in it, though and there are beaver ponds above and below it. Despite these small errors huntingwife is doing a heluva job adjusting to the hunting/fishing whenever I get a chance lifestyle. She is also a very quick learner at everything, but especially at all of this outdoor stuff. Despite the way that this may sound she is not afraid or unaware of the outdoors, she had just never been as exposed to hunting. SHe is a great saltwater fisherman though and use to spend summers fishing with her grandad in the Keys. Back to the topic at hand, there is some some great hybrid fishing in lake Oconee. :thumbsup:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Wed May 11, 2005 8:48 pm

It has beavers in it, doesn't it? Therefore, it must be a beaver pond! I appreciate the props, but I feel compelled to point out that I have never been fishing in the Florida Keys (not that I remember). It was the Bahamas and the Gulf. You men never listen... in Gahunter's case, I think he was too busy whining about the fact that my grandfather sold his boat before we got married and he (Gahunter) never got to take advantage of it. So I guess he can be forgiven for not remembering where we went! Hehe...

:mrgreen:
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed May 11, 2005 9:39 pm

The lakes pretty close to me are Reelfoot, Gibson Co. Lake, Kentucky Lake. Theres a few farm ponds around I fish at. Theres a little 6 acre lake in a cow pasture behind my house that is full of crappie and some huge bass. I fish at it almost every day. There's also a bunch of old riverbeds around here to catch crappie in.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby duckdog » Wed May 11, 2005 10:27 pm

Lot's of lake's near me Lost Island, Trumbull, Okiboji, Spirit lake's, and many more(NW IOWA) Mainly fish for walleye's caught six over 20" so far this spring. Like to go after bass, pike, and head to the Minnesota River for some big flathead fishing a couple time's a year :thumbsup:
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu May 12, 2005 6:42 am

I've got Lake of the Ozarks by me, which was at one time the largest man-made lake in the world. I spend just about my whole summer down there at my families house. The fishing is great in the spring, but the only problem is how crowded it gets in the summer.
[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/gsphunter/crappie.jpg[/img]

This was about half of the crappie we caught in a day and a half. I think by the end of the second day there were a total of 80 or so cleaned between the group we had.[/img]
gsphunter
hunter

Postby gahunter » Thu May 12, 2005 7:34 pm

That's a nice mess of fish. :salude:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Fri May 13, 2005 11:24 am

thats a bunch of fish there. i have lake lowell 5 minute drive to the ramp mostly fish for bass. but there is crappie perch trout catfish bass large and smallies
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby frazier2209 » Fri May 13, 2005 12:49 pm

The lakes around me are: Chickamauga, Nickijack, Watts Bar, and Guntersville. I only fish for bass and crappie. Guntersville by far has the best bass fishing east of the Mississippi. [siteimg]455[/siteimg]
frazier2209
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Fri May 13, 2005 1:53 pm

THere are 4 freshwater lakes within about 5 minutes of my house. Most of them are largemouth bass spots, but one of the lakes has tiger muskies in it. I usually fish for bass at the lakes near my house and spend most of my time fishing for bass at the lakes nearby. The lake I fish the most besides largemouth bass also has chain pickerel, yellow perch, bluegill, sunfish, calico bass (crappie), and bullheads. I like fishing lizards and spinnerbaits in the spring along with soft jerkbaits, then after the spawn will do well on topwater plugging (my favorite way to fish), spinnerbaits, and plastic worms. I do a fair amount of night time fishing in the dark during the hot summer weather. You can get some big ones this way especially on topwater. At night I like using jitterbugs and prop baits.

The best fishing in this area (about an hour from me) is on the coast for striped bass. Even the smallest schoolie striper is bigger and fights harder than most decent sized largemouth. The coatal environment with the big tides and water is just very exciting and fun. These stripers run from schoolie sized in the 16-20 inch range to as big as 50lbs or bigger. You just never know when that big striper will hit. That is my favorite type of fishing for sure. This summer though I will be staying near my house because of the high gas prices. I will spending much more time at the lakes and ponds near me with my little boat and trolling motor fishing for largemouths.

I sometimes do some spring time trout fishing, but I did not have a chance to do it this spring. In this area there are some nice rainbows, brookies and browns to be caught. In the last few years the state has begun stocking a strain of trout called tiger trout. This is a beautifl fish and is very aggresive as it is a cross between a brook trout and a brown trout. The state fish and game also stocks broodstock Atlantic Salmon in the 4-25lb range in several lakes and ponds nearby.
Mike M.
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri May 20, 2005 5:04 pm

We have numerous lakes,small rivers and streams within an hours drive of my home and several dozen a lot closer but these are not huge lakes. We have small mouth bass, chain pickerel, white and yellow perch, brown trout, rainbow trout, speckeled trout, brown bullhead, white sucker, american shad, striped bass, land locked salmon, atlantic salmon and lake white fish in fresh water then in salt water which is also very near by we have striped bass, pollock, haddock, flounder, mackeral, blue fish, a bunch of different types of shark, haulibut, hake, stergon, bluefin tuna,etc...
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun May 22, 2005 9:29 am

Just letting you know that the Shad are spawning so the Annapolis River is full of them and the Gaspereau are up so the stripers are in the river feeding on a smorgasboard of smelt, gaspereau, eel, sucker, and anything else they can find. I heard that some one caught a sixty pounder in the Roundhill area a week ago. Like I said in my previous post we have a lot of streams rivers and lakes in a hours drive or less from home. They may not be big and the fish may not be huge but I couldn't possibly fish them all in my life time, even if I fished every day. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Greg Wile on Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby take em' 77 » Sun May 29, 2005 3:14 pm

im from south louisiana and most of the fishing i do is in the atchafalaya basin for bass and sac-a-lait aka crappie in my opinion the basin is some of the best crappie fishing in the world itd pretty common to catch 70 to 80 a day.....also some great bass fishing in toledo bend
take em' 77
hunter

Postby Ducker99 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:55 pm

Chickamauga, Watts Bar, Guntersville, Nickajack, and not to far is Wheeler. Great Sounthern BASS and Crappie fishing. Bass is what i like to have on the end of my line personally.
Take EM!
Ducker99
hunter

Postby quackerbacker » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:50 pm

Many many lakes around me.
Crane Prarie, Big Lava, Little Lava, Devils, Sparks, Hosmer, Davis, North Twin, South Twin, Billy Chinook, Paulina, East, Scout, EWEB, Odell, Elk, Cresent, Wickiup, Simtustus, Little Cultus, Big Cultus, Todd, Prineville, Ochoco, Suttle, Walton,...I could keep going on. These are all within an hour drive from my front door.

They hold many different fish....Brook Trout, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Atlantic Salmon, Bass, Kokanie, Lake Trout.
Its an incredible place to live and fish!
If it flies it dies
quackerbacker
hunter

Return to Fishing