Fly fishing

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Fly fishing

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Wed May 11, 2005 7:20 pm

Who on here likes to fly fish? I fly fish with one of my hunting buddys on the Duck river from april to july. We fish for brown & rainbow trout. We also fish for bream ,crappie, bass,& black perch.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby Dogman » Thu May 12, 2005 6:35 am

Flyrods are a great way to get more out of a fishing trip.A small fish on a flyrod fights like a bigger fish on any other rod.
Schoolie stripers are a great target for flyrodders,lots of them and when conditions are right you will catch them till you are too tired to catch more.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Thu May 12, 2005 2:10 pm

I like fly fishing for trout, shad, salmon, and smallies but if I had the right gear I would definitely give strippers a try. But all I have for a rod right now is a 7' 5wt.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu May 12, 2005 3:13 pm

I really enjoy it, but for the most part I am just starting. My brother is ravenous about it, he ties his own flies for the most part (buys the ones he hasn't learned yet). It is a blast to work a popper for sunfish, the action never stops sometimes! I'd like to try for some bass this year with a fly rod...I'll let you know how I do!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby easternshorehunter » Thu May 12, 2005 6:03 pm

i fly fish all spring, summer and fall here. start out with bass and bluegills in the spring then on to stripers, blues, croaker, and pearch in the summer and fall
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Tue May 17, 2005 9:42 pm

I went down to the river & did some wading with my fly rod. I caught a few bream & some rainbow trout. I almost got taken out by a green head that came down the river & wanted to land were I was. :laughing: Is it duck season yet!
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed May 25, 2005 1:51 pm

i mainly fly fish for trout but have had good luck with bream here in SC. the trout i usually hit in the mountains. i absolutely love it. i would enjoy fishing for just about any species of fish with a fly rod though. here are a couple of pics from a trout trip i went on last spring. man, it makes we want to load up and head back today.

[siteimg]442[/siteimg]

[siteimg]443[/siteimg]

[siteimg]441[/siteimg]
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:27 pm

I am a huge fly fisherman. It is a therapy for me.

I do a lot of night fly fishing for rainbows and brownies on a tailwater called lake Taneycomo at the Table Rock Dam in Branson. A lot of the fish are hatchery fish but there is a nice population of some long term resident fish. In the fall the big browns cruise the water at night like sharks.

There are several cold water springs that the Dept. of Cons. manages that have their own reproducing population.

I tie a lot of my own streamer and nymph patterns. For now, I leave the fancy dries and others to the people that know what they're doing.

I love winter fishing with nymphs. But that gets in the way of my duck hunting.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:48 pm

those are nice pics shrp. Our hunt/fish club had a trout tournament today. I'll post up after I know the final results and maybe even get some pictures. :mrgreen:
frazier2209
hunter

Postby easternshorehunter » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:36 pm

i was just in a flyfishing/light tackle tournament today. it was a great time even though i didnt place (didnt even get a keeper :oops: ). the winner in the flyfishing division recieved a $400-$500 rod that isnt even released yet. next year im gona win both divisions tho :yes:
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby cast-n-blast » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:13 am

I've been a FF guide (part time) for about a year now, but grew up fishing the Gunnison, the Frying Pan, and the Roaring Fork since I was 6. Now I spend a lot of time on the S. Platte and guide mainly on private waters less than an hour from Denver. There's nothing better than a little cast-n-blast in early October, Browns and Greenheads...God I love this state!!
:getdown: :getdown: :getdown:
cast-n-blast
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:12 pm

Im a ff guide in new zealand and fly fishing here rocks!!!!!
I have access to Hundreds of treams and rivers within two hours drive of here with good fishing year round

Not to mention Ducks and deer Galore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must say to anyone wanting to give fly fishing a go...GIVE IT A GO!!
Alhough it can be frustrating to start with once your in swing of things your an addict. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :getdown:
kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:16 pm

:thumbsup:
Last edited by kiwismakebetterhunters on Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:18 am

I have a 4 wt and a 7 wt for panfish and bass. I just about gave it up 8 years ago when my son started fishing. Now I am getting them into cat fishing and plan to start up next year. I want to build a layout boat out of foam and maybe use it as a fly fishing platform in the summer. Then maybe I'll have to build layouts for the kids and get them fly rods too.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PuddleHopper » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:34 pm

I picked it up not to long ago long with tying flies. Both are addicting and theraputic. Nothing like catching a fish off your own fly.
Box of 12 ga. lead quail loads. --- $5.50
4 Candy bars --- $3.15
15 gallons of gasoline --- $34.00 (ouch)
Taking a three day weekend to quail hunt with your dad and your dog.... Priceless
PuddleHopper
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:47 am

This was my first double figure river brown trout 4 years ago.

They say New Zealand browns are the most cunning in the world which probably has something to do with small streams, steady fishing pressure
,exceptional water clarity and amazing insect life. These stream fish dont feed on bait fish but almost entirely on insects, which makes it even harder.This is from the Taupo region.I threw my entire nymph collection at the barstad before he took a dead drifted size 10 wooly worm not so smart now eh?
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Snake River Cut-throats

Postby Webfoot12 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:54 am

I just booked my first "real" trip out west. I'm going to fish the Snake River from a drift boat below the Grand Tetons. I just made my reservations today and I'm heading out tomorrow morning. Kinda spontaneous but who cares, I can't wait!!

I'll try to post some picks if I catch anything :smile:
Webfoot12
hunter

Re: Snake River Cut-throats

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:48 am

Webfoot12 wrote:I just booked my first "real" trip out west. I'm going to fish the Snake River from a drift boat below the Grand Tetons. I just made my reservations today and I'm heading out tomorrow morning. Kinda spontaneous but who cares, I can't wait!!

I'll try to post some picks if I catch anything :smile:

cool! i am sure you'll have a great time. good luck!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby PuddleHopper » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:58 pm

God I would love to do that. Good luck hope you catch the big one!
Box of 12 ga. lead quail loads. --- $5.50
4 Candy bars --- $3.15
15 gallons of gasoline --- $34.00 (ouch)
Taking a three day weekend to quail hunt with your dad and your dog.... Priceless
PuddleHopper
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:28 am

Well I did not catch the big one but had an amazing time. I caught 10-15 fish on a 3.5 hour, 14 mile float. Most of which were less than 12". I caught a couple of 13" fish.

I mostly fish wet flies, streamers and nymphs, where I fish in MO so using a dry was a little more of a challenge. Casting accuracy and perfect mending is a must. Which I did not display. I probably missed 50+ fish just because I was too slow to react to a fish sipping down the fly. They can spit it out fasting than you can believe.

The fishing was as wild as the fish. Everytime I made the right cast and mend in the right spot there was a fish that would have a go at it, just like you would expect.

I fish mostly managed areas in MO I just get in the habit of casting to a fish rather than casting to a spot on the water and letting the fly drift to "fishy water."

I learned a great deal about reading the water and making a good presentation, and how I need to practice before I go. Next time I go I'll give myself some time to try fishing without a boat and guide now that I know the area a little better. But you sure can cover a lot of water from a boat.

This is definitely a trip I'll never forget.

I hope everyone's summer is going well.

Michael
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:05 am

Webfoot12
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:02 am

Webfoot12 just the way I explained it and here you go.

[siteimg]810[/siteimg]

[siteimg]809[/siteimg]
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:27 am

I'll try it again

I hope this is right
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:39 am

:welcome: back web. glad to hear you had such a good time! :thumbsup:
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:17 pm

I watched a River Runs Through Its, does that count for anything? :yes:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Next

Return to Fishing