Ice Fishing

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Ice Fishing

Postby fishinMania7 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi everyone. This is my first year ice fishing and i went out today in the bay and seen some nice perch swimming around but none would hit my bait.. Do you have any tips or suggestions? I know most of the basics and stuff.
PS: im from sarnia, but any tips or suggestions i could try out down here :thumbsup:
fishinMania7
Newb

Postby timster » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:35 pm

im 16 and ive been ice fishing for about 7 years now and theres really no tips or anythign that i can think of other than patience. i use large shiners for bait and fish about 6-15 inches off the bottom depending weedage but other than that its patience. sorry i dont have much more for ya bud but good luck
timster
Newb

Postby T-MAN » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Around here the water is clear and the fish are really spooky. Move you jig really soft, or else they get spooked. Try out differnt jigs and bait combos. If i get into the perch i use a jig on the bottom (swedish pimple) with a minnow head, and 3 hooks w/ live minnows above it. I let that sit, and use a tiny jig with a minnow head or spike, and jig that. Meanwhile, ill let 3 or 4 fish get on the rod next to me, and reel it up all at once. You can easily fill 3 buckets in a day doing that. Money in the pocket right there
T-MAN
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:48 am

i dont jig much. its boring but i ice fish every weekend heres a 20" brown from two weekends ago
[IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/skybuster20ga/Picture008.jpg[/IMG]
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:49 am

crap sorry, ill try again
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:22 pm

are you fishing a lake with bass or northerns? If so, throw away your jigging equipment and get some tip ups. then get some buddies to go with you and bring a grill and food and beverages and wait for the flags to pop. absolute best fun you can have. i'm farther south now, so i can't participate much anymore. man, i miss those days.
seriously, if you are interested in catching big fish through the ice without jigging, let me know, and i will give some tips.
Yoda
hunter

Postby Kurt » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:02 pm

I would do just the oposite and start drilling holes and moving till i find active fish. Jigging might be boring if you dont catch anything but that has produced more walleyes and perch on lake oahe this year than any set line. If you have a flasher keep the bait above the fish and make them come get it. Fish like you would in the summer in a boat move till they bite. That is what i have my clients do and have not had a bad yet this ice season.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:48 am

good luck jiggin up a big finacy brow or rainbow
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Kurt » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:34 am

Been out to the black hills and cant remember how many rainbow trout i have caught jiging the old buckshot spoon. And i think he was asking about perch. Move and find the fish that are active.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby fishinMania7 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:54 am

Ok thanks everyone :smile: nice brown too.
fishinMania7
Newb

Return to Fishing