New England in August

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

New England in August

Postby gahunter » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:24 pm

I'm going to be visiting my in-laws in RI in August and was wanting to do some fishing. I was thinking mostly about stripers and blues or maybe tuna, but I'm happy to catch anything that I don't fish for around home. Can anybody help me out? I've been looking of the web for some charters and have found 2 that look pretty good. I would greatly appreciate any pointers or suggestions if any of you have fished out of the RI area. Thanks :thumbsup:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:32 pm

That would be sea fishing wouldn't it? My friends have been trying to get me to go for a while.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby gahunter » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:39 pm

Yeah, I actually talked with some charter folks today and it sounds like August is prime time for whopper stripers and blue fish. I'm getting kind of pumped. I'll let y'all know what I come up with.
gahunter
hunter

Postby Dogman » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:03 pm

I was stationed in New London Ct,just over the border from RI,in the 80's.Lots of charters along the coast.I went out on a boat called the "Hellcat" out of Groton Ct.Caught many bluefish off of Montauk.Bass all along the coastal inlets bays,Long Island sound and Block Island sound.
Haven't been in the area in recent years but you should not have too much trouble finding charters,now that the stripers are back in big numbers a lot of people cater to bass fishermen.
August is a great time to fish for Bass,Blues and Tuna off of New England.Albacore run in the area as well
Wish I could give you better info
Good luck on your trip :thumbsup:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gahunter » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:54 pm

I booked a trip with Flaherty charters today. From talking to them it should be great. They only fish with light tackle, so it won't be any of this crap using a broom stick and winch to crank in fish. They say by August the big stripers should be stacked up and feeding like crazy. I can't wait. :salude:
gahunter
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:51 pm

Here are a couple of local fishing sites to check out.

http://www.reel-time.com/

http://www.surfcaster.com/

Hope this is ok to be post these links. There are lots of locals that fish in the area you are visiting and you might have some luck asking questions there.

Have a safe trip
Mike M.
hunter

Postby gahunter » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:39 pm

Thanks. i'm really looking forward to this trip to NE. I might even get to squeeze in a Red Sox game. That would be great, because they are by far my favorite AL team. The Braves get my full support. I absolutely hate the Yankees, the Mets follow a close second in the hate column. :salude:
gahunter
hunter

Return to Fishing