Yo Yos??

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Yo Yos??

Postby mtduckhunter » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:41 pm

I just started running yo yos and was wondering if you guys new anything about it or tips that you could let me in on. :help:

I went last weekend and only caught 4 ( 2 bass and 2 mudcats ). i herd its better on moonlight nights and there was no moon. :huh: :help:
mtduckhunter
hunter

Postby doylineduckkiller » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:51 pm

all depends on where you fish and we usually set them about 3-6 inches under the water dont know if moonlight really matters
Last edited by doylineduckkiller on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
doylineduckkiller
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:03 pm

When I set yo' Yo' I have found that Red Wigglers, or earth worms work the best for bait. I'll usually When I get there Set most of them at different depths, Most at the bottom a few a foot off, and a couple near the surface. I catch Blues and channel Cat's, Lots of drum several Crappie.

Worm's Just seem to be the best and most dependable bait for the yo yo's.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:19 am

We run yoyos a lot, and right now its still a little early for white perch, give them another two weeks or so. Early in the spring say now through the end of april Ill run shiners for bait just because there are white perch up, after that I run catalpas for the rest of the summer. Best tip is to have your yoyos out before dark, your best bite times are gonna be right at sundown and right at sunrise. We will set them below the surface down to about a foot or less when using shiners at night. If using worms during the day set them deeper. My padnuh ran them saturday night and caught 57 cats. Be sure to trip them if your not gonna be with them, the only time you can legally be away from them is from daylight to dark, plus it looks bad for us to have dried up fish hanging in the trees. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby timster » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:09 am

what exactly are yo yos??
timster
Newb

Postby greenster » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:40 am

This is a Yo Yo. It's a mechanical fisher that is strong as the limb it tied too, usually used for cat fish. It will automatically hook the fish for you and pull the small ones (Under 1'lb) out of the water.

Heres the official explanation.

The Yo Yo is an automatic fishing reel made of steel with a tempered spring that automatically sets the hook when the trigger is released by a fish taking the bait.

You should keep a yo yo or two in your survival kit. Instead of actively fishing, you can set this automatic fishing reel and take care of other things such as improving your shelter. Check back after a couple of hours and retrieve your dinner. Eat a great meal and sleep more comfortably (under the circumstances).

* Stong, lasting, durable
* Stainless steel spring
* Simple and easy to use
* Adjustable line tension
* Fisherman tried and tested for years
* 60lb test nylon line
* Sets the fish and holds automatically

In a survival setting, you can also bait a hook to catch birds and small animals. Don't get squeamish. If you're out of food, you need to eat to keep up your strength and spirits.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DC KILLER » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:14 am

i usually set mine a ft deep in the shallow water say....4-6ft. i set em out in the channel as deep as they'll reach.

in the shallows i usually catch a few smaller channel cats, mudcats, and the occasional gar or big ars turtle. In the channel is where i usually have the best luck with catchin the big channels and blues.

Bait.....hmm ive used it all. shiners, goldfish, worms, grubs, stinkbait, baby bream, chicken liver............ Ive found ive had the more tripped lines from the chicken liver. however maybe only half of the tripped lines have a fish when i get there. i think they must pull the liver off without catchin that hook. if you've ever fished with chicken liver you know what i mean.
I dont usually get as many bites with shiners or worms but the lines that get tripped are usually holdin a fish.
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby TennesseeNW » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:44 pm

Make sure to put them on the down wind side of the trees. We also put them on jugs. Tops bait for me is the nightcrawler or crayfish. Its a great beer drinking sport.
Can't kill em on the couch.
TennesseeNW
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:18 pm

Its a great beer drinking sport.[/quote]

:dito: :drinking:
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:43 pm

I like to use shiners.
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:28 pm

duck huntin mamou wrote:I like to use shiners.

you mean shiner beer right :lol: :biggrin:
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Postby browningA5 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:38 pm

we fish yo yos on river we set them bout 6inch of bottem, with shiners, and night crowlers, if the water is real calm we will use catfish charle, and if we crappie fish we set them bout 6 to 12 inch under water with shinners and no weight, the bait is enought weight, and on rivers we put them behind tree or bank , something to block strong current. but as they said, it is a great lazy mans sport lay back and let them do ur fishing while u drink some beer and make memories. i love yo yo fishing but u have to stay checking them or big fish will work there way off. we normally run them bout ever 30 min to hour. well good luck
wait, wait, wait, TAKE EM
browningA5
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:26 pm

DC KILLER wrote:
duck huntin mamou wrote:I like to use shiners.

you mean shiner beer right :lol: :biggrin:

No real shiners :thumbsup:
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby quackingtim » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:19 pm

I use them a lot for catfish. I use cut shad for bait. I best tip for them is to put a split shot on the line for when a fish sets the yoyo but doesn't get hook. This will keep the bait in the water for another strike.

Buck Gardner Calls prostaff
quackingtim
hunter

Return to Fishing