Electric Trolling Motor

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Electric Trolling Motor

Postby Willie » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:58 pm

Anybody know the right size trolling motor I need for a 16' jon boat? Not really looking to use it during hunting season, so extra weight is not a problem. Will basically use it to fish with.

The Minn Kota Endura 50 is rated for boats up to 20' and has 50 lbs of thrust. I have a feeling this is too much, but need some help.

Any ideas?
Willie
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:28 am

There is no such thing as too much when it comes to trolling motors. Sure the 50 will work but I always tell everyone go with the biggest you can afford when it comes to motors. You dont have to run a bigger motor at full throttle all the time. I have a 17 ft with a 80 lb. thrust, and would have had bigger but didnt want the fourth battery. Three is enough. I think 50 is the biggers 12 volt and 80 is the biggest 24 volt.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Willie » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:07 am

Good deal...thanks for the info!
Willie
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:37 pm

:thumbsup: 50 will be about right, Good power but not too much to drain batt. I got a 40lb I use on my 14' jon boat, Works great.. With I had a 50 or 55 for it tho.

Smack Just a FYI I've seen a 107lb 24 volt Trolling motor at gander MTn in Little rock. (That place sucks BTW) but its the only 24v I've seen of that size, all other i seen that size was 36v

But I would love to have that on my jon boat... You guys think I can get 10mph out of it?
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:28 am

I think itd be close. My old 70 ran faster than my 80 but it would push my 1756 right around 6.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby littlesturgeon » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:40 pm

I like have the etra powe just in case your out in the middle of the lake and your motor dies and it rough you have the exta power to motor home
littlesturgeon
hunter

Return to Fishing