need help with lure set up

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

need help with lure set up

Postby wright_hunter » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:40 pm

where i fish i seem to get hung up alot is there any way to rig it where i wont get hung up as bad
dont scratch a tiger with a short stick.
Jordan Wright
wright_hunter
Banned - screwed member in classifieds

Postby Broozer5 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:46 pm

What are you fishing for, and what are you using?
You're still a sh*t Sandwich...Just not a soggy one.
Broozer5
hunter

Postby wright_hunter » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:43 pm

im mainly fishing for large mouth bass and using a weedless rig with a rubber worm and about the olny time i dont get hung up is when i use a topwater bait
Jordan Wright
wright_hunter

Postby Broozer5 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:12 pm

So if you are using the weedless rig i am guessing that you are hiding your hook inside of the worm. That is what I usually do, and I dont get snagged too much. The hook does go through the worm sometimes, but I just do a quick check before I recast out each time. The worm does wear out after a while which makes the hook come through even easier, when this happens just switch out the worm with a new one.
Another setup is the flippin rig which has a weed guard on the hook that covers the tip. It covers it enough to where it is harder to snag, but you can still set the hook in a bass's mouth.
There are lots of different ways to keep your hooks weedless. Type in something like "weedless bass rigs" in Google and you will get alot of results.
One more thing I do is use 20lb spider wire so when I do get snagged I dont have to worry about not being able to pull it out through the weeds.
I hope this helps.
Ryan
Broozer5
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:13 pm

What Sort of cover are you fishing? A Texas Rig with a 5/0 hook should work well. If you have lots of brush, or rocks, Use a smaller bullet weight. I never seem to have much problem except with rocks. During that case I'll usually use a brush hogg, or a tube, during like tournaments when i"m willing to spend a little more time for presentation Take a sewing needs and tile the line to it.. Run it right down the middle of the tube out the bottom, getting a good amount through there, place the weight on he line and tie the hook on opposite as you would hook a normal tube.

Its time consuming. But usually smaller weight with smaller hook on texas rig does pretty good... Now if your casting in the trees, I cant help you much there.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby wright_hunter » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:06 pm

so what exactly is a texas rig i do pretty good with my weedless rig just looking for other options so i can try them out.
Jordan Wright
wright_hunter

Postby Broozer5 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:28 pm

This is the Texas rig. It is where you hide the hook in the worm.
Broozer5
hunter

Postby wright_hunter » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:24 pm

ok thats exactly what i am using now i guess ill stick with that
Jordan Wright
wright_hunter

Return to Fishing