Bass Baits. Advice Advice!

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Bass Baits. Advice Advice!

Postby Marshwalker » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:30 pm

listen guys or gals just started getting into bass fishing and me and my buddies are going through a bit of a slump. right now down here in L.A it averages about 70-75 degrees. looking for the right lure or plastic worm to real em' in. also during spawining season (hopefully coming soon enough) whats the best set up. between cranks and plastic worms. thanks - basically i want to know depending on weather what to use. cloudy day ? sunny day? early in the morning? after ? evening? thanks a bunch. I know im asking a lot though.
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:02 am

Zorro aggravator spinner bait in white, w/ gold willow & silver colorado spoon.................thats all you need!! Cabelas has em :thumbsup:
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:12 am

Duckin.. The Southern largemouth are a little more picky than that usually.

Right now: You going to want to use soft plastics, Extremely slow presentation, Texas rig. Look for what the fish are feeding on, such as crawfish or shad. Use something of the same color as the bait fish.

Right now I'm catching them on the Crawfish soft plastic, dark red. colors such as electric blue with blood hook is doing good also.

Spawn is just a couple weeks off, Get some White lizards and fish the beds. They will be in pure defensive mode come spawn. Next weekend look for them to be 100% staging up for the spawn at about 4-6 feet in depth. Look in areas that there is lots of shallow water then move out until the water gets in the 4-6 foot range and fish the cover, you'll do fine.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DC KILLER » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:35 pm

what greenster said.
as far as soft plastics, you cant go wrong with a senko, ribbon tail, or finesse worm. colors tend to vary depending on what lake you're on. for example a lake i fish in louisiana i can tear em up on red shad senkos but not so much at a lake in arkansas. the color there tends to be junebug. test out different colors. flukes, lizards, and brushogs can be good too.

bass fishin is all about presentation. some days they'l go for a slow movin finesse, senko, or ribbon tail worm. and other days you cant go wrong with a fast rollin spinnerbait. The best advice i can give you is get at least 3 good rod and reels rigged with lures that give different presentations. catchin bass usually involves some process of elimination first.

i try to go with 2 types of soft plastics. usually a senko or sluggo, and a texas rig worm. those give you two types of presentations that you can work at any depths.

the senko is great because it gives a vertical and horizontal presentation since it moves erratically when you jerk it and sinks when you're not.

the texas rig is a vertical presentation, a slow rise and fall. this is an awesome rig. if im havin a rough day with other lures, ill usually go to this. if i cant catch em by workin a slow texas rigged worm, its about time to head back to the ramp.

my other rod will usually have somethin like a jig and pig (another good vertical presentation) if im fishin brushtops or stumps. and a crankbait or sometimes a spinnerbait for fishin less cover. baby 1s are a good crankbait.(deadly on ponds)

Hope this helps
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby beeks'n'butts » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:15 pm

ALL YOU NEED IS A SPINNER BAIT. YOU CAN REEL THEM FAST YOU CAN REEL THEM SLOW IT DOESN,T MATTER IT IS AN ALL AROUND LURE. IN THE AFTERNOON RIGHT BEFORE THE SUN GOES DOWN THROW A BUZZ BAIT FOR SOME GREAT TOP WATER ACTION
thats what im talkin bout
beeks'n'butts
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:39 pm

We catch em this time on 5in watermelon red flake senkos around docks and trees and stumps. We also use at this time a gold, black, and orange smithwick rattlin rouge around trees.

Hope I helped :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:01 pm

:rofl: spinnerbaits can be great. but just like any other lure, they only work sometimes. a spinnerbait is not all you need. remember..... process of elimination, in order to do that you gotta have more than one bait.

And the topwater baits like buzzbaits are awesome for the summer but usually not as effective during the spawn.
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:40 pm

:thumbsup: Where Dc left off. right now here in the south there still staging, the top water's not going to do you much good until they move up just a hair into the shallows. Fish for the big females around the drop offs close the the shallow areas, and the male fish re going to be a little deep, IE Greater than 10 feet. In about 3 weeks near the end of the spawn, You can use a buzz bait, or a "Horny Toad" (Which is the best top water ever) in the mid to late afternoon.

during the spawn in the next few weeks, sight fish females, Crack bait the big boys, with a shad color 8' and deeper.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby orangefoot » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:10 pm

Hey greenster is a "horny toad" the same thing as a ribbit frog? :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:04 pm

Ribbit and Yum make the best buzzfrogs that ive found so far. Zooms are pretty good but dont create quite as much disturbance. I love seeing those big bass take a big ole buzzfrog in between lilly pads. the white ones really seem to piss em off too. :thumbsup: some tough braided line is a good idea when there bitin far back into the pads. ive dragged out some good bass and without braided line it wouldve never happened.
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:13 pm

Thats a horny toad, Its made by the Zoom company. Also "Hard Nose" Makes a stronger one, but it doesn't track as good as the zooms. The white ones, Are killer.

Soft so the bass will grab and hold on, Really its a big bass magnet. Has lots of water movement and a good "Buzz bait" sound.

This is what one will get ya

The local women can even catch them
Image[/list]

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jay Blaylock » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:51 pm

I like adding a night crawler on everything i use! Crankbait, spinnerbait, anything topwater, even a castmaster! really adds to your lure! love those my crawlers! :uhhaa:
Jay Blaylock
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:48 am

greenster: i hope those are all from you know where!?!? :biggrin:
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:52 am

another good tip about buzzfrogs is to spend a little extra on the hooks. you need at least a 5/0 frog hook and one with the little spring in the front that you screw into the nose of the frog is a good idea. it just helps with keepin the head of the frog from sliding down the hook when your draggin it across pads. it can be a pain when that happens cause itl make ya get hung on nearly every single pad.
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:34 pm

DC.... I cant Tell you where they was caught :tongue: But i can point in the direction within 1500 Acres.

Sorry bout the tread hijack...

Also if you notice the bottom picture the guy is using a Huge Black worm..

So I'll just add this tip: Low light conditions IE at night. Use Black Big dark colored baits with some scent.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DC KILLER » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:08 pm

:dito: on the dark lures at night
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Postby bigmike » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:51 pm

i fish in Jersey, but when using plastic stuff, i usually use the gary Yamomoto Senko. Works great around here in all conditions. Sorry that i spelt that wrong. just a normal weedless set up works ok.
bigmike
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:09 pm

gary yamamoto does make great senkos. i cant ever find the junebug ones though :mad:
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:15 pm

Dc You should check the Monticello wal-mart out... No one will pay more than $2 for soft plastics in this cheap arse town.

$5 packs are usually there for a while. I wait till the put them on sell :tongue: I'm cheep too.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dudejcb » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:59 pm

Marshwaler,

If you're in So Cal it kinda depends on where you'll be fishing. Castaic, Casitas, Cachuma, Elsinore. Where?

Tube jigs, grubs (big ones, 4-inch at least) with a Caroliina rig, and shakin' straight worms with a split shot all work... but depends what the fish are doing and your access to them.

this time of year your fish are in pre-spawn off points and just outside the mud line. When the smaller males make their beds, the larger females will still be holding just off the mud line unitl they're ready to spawn and then they move to the males. After spawn the go back to past the mud line and rest before going on a feeding spree.

BTW: taking males off their beds is lame. I know it's fun and it's easy, but it's not very challenging as they are pretty vulnerable so the skill level required is not as high.

Also, Gulp crawdads on jigs works pretty well anywhere you go, any time of year.

Do you have a boat? Float tube? or are you scratchin away from shore? this kinda defines your options.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:08 pm

im good at takin the females outa their beds..... its just too bad all their husbands keep gettin mad at me!! :lol: :lol:
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:33 pm

Dc...I cant get them in the bed to get them out :no:

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SouthARKduckslayers » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:37 pm

:rolleyes:
Nov. 22nd the river runs red .....

Mallards- 27

Grey's-74

Woodies-5

Teal-15

shovler-7

jacks-3

wedgion-37

pintail-3

Merganser-1

172 after 9 hunts
SouthARKduckslayers
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:31 pm

drop shot a plastic worm, get's em every time.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby don taylor » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:08 am

My favorite spring time lure is a oldie. The world famous hula popper. I've been using the same one for years. I don't know why but they seem to lose their appeal by summertime.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Fishing