Bass Baits. Advice Advice!

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:43 am

Personally, I fish a Jig-n-pig alot. I know that it's a little different down south, but early season up here, I'll fish a J-n-P that's the same color as the bottom, and instead of working it or swimming or hopping it, I'll cast it, let it sit for a while, and then slowly drag it a few inches, very slowly, so that it never loses contact with the bottom. I'll drag it a few inches (less than six), then let it sit for awhile, then drag it some more. Drive myself crazy fishing like this because I'm impatient, but for some reason, when nothing else seems to be working, slowly dragging a J-n-P seems to get strikes. It gets tougher to do the later in the season because of vegitation.

The other nice thing about the J-n-P, is that if money's tight, you can usually find jigs for a buck fifty a piece, and pork or plastic trailers aren't that expensive either. For $20 you can set yourself up with pretty much all you'll need to catch fish.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby DC KILLER » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:52 am

you said it. im impatient too. i hate that style of fishing. but you're right, especially when the water is still cold. you gotta get deep and slow. fortunately for me im either still duck hunting or recovering from duck season at this time and dont get the fishing bug until the water's at least low 50's.... Ill be the first to admit, im not too good at the "deadstickin" kind of fishin. im WAY too impatient
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:54 am

My go to lure is Zoom's 10 1/2" Ol' Monster ribbontail worm in Tequila Sunrise. I almost always fish it with texas rigged and weightless, but I have used a very small weight from time to time.

Zoom flukes are good too, they are my next favorite lure.

Black buzz bait is my killer morning bait later in the spring....caught back to back 5 lbs one day.....one was largemouth and the other was a Kentucky.

Chug bugs are great topwater baits too.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:28 am

DC KILLER wrote:you said it. im impatient too. i hate that style of fishing. but you're right, especially when the water is still cold. you gotta get deep and slow. fortunately for me im either still duck hunting or recovering from duck season at this time and dont get the fishing bug until the water's at least low 50's.... Ill be the first to admit, im not too good at the "deadstickin" kind of fishin. im WAY too impatient

In another month our water will get up around 50. Most spots here still have ice on them. If the water's clear it makes it a little more bearable fishing that way, because you can watch the fish follow your jig.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Previous

Return to Fishing