New reel?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

New reel?

Postby jrockncash » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:31 pm

Lookin at a new baitcaster. What do you suggest? I like the Curado but it is a little expensive. Thanks
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:04 pm

Curados are nice I have one that I got as a gift. I like the low profile baitcasters. The cronarch line is nice and pricey. Take a look at the Calais. More in my price range. One thing I do with bait casters is that I like a left handed reel. That way I don't have to switch hands after a cast. And I keep what i call my power hand on the rod ans rel with my left.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:38 pm

I really like Shimano reels, but I think I am no help because of your tastes. I would love a curado or similar, but the price is a bit much for me too. I have a couple Shimano Callisto's and I am very happy with them, heck, I'm sure Id be happy with Calcutta's, but gotta think of the budget i guess.
I have talked to a lot of guys that like the Quantum Energy PT and the accurist. they might be worth looking into.
Yeah, either way - Im of little help.

-Erik :rofl:
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby greenster » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:21 pm

#1 Abu Garcia
#2 Shimano

#3 I Bought a Bait cast Combo about 12 years ago form BPS, $30, cant remember the series, but that cheap thing lasted me 11 years, I took it apart for a good cleaning, if i had not did that, it would still be casting today.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby orangefoot » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:36 pm

I love my quantum reels. They've been great to me. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:31 am

i like shimano, but for the price, penicle's are a great buy. i've had problems w/ quantums which are in the same price range but not w/ penicle.
bayouboy
hunter

Postby youngster57 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:57 am

Diawa has a new Burner 7:1 out called the megaforce and it has the twitching bar for about 60 bucks. Not a bad reel it has 7 bearings and looks like a pretty good reel. Just another option, personally I have a older curado and a BP bassmaster series. I am going to buy another BP reel they are pretty tough and have never had a problem witht hem whether fishing pike in canada or largemouth in Okla.
youngster57
hunter

Postby greenster » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:59 pm

youngster57 wrote:Diawa has a new Burner 7:1 out c

Why Do you need a 7:1? I cant think of any freshwater species that that would be optimal for.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dckkllr » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:03 pm

I've never had a probelm with my Abu Garcia 5501's and 6501's for salmon and steelhead here in Oregon. Terrific reels for the price.
dckkllr
hunter

Postby youngster57 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:13 pm

well I use a 7:1 for large mouth when wanting a fast retreive. Not saying thats all I use but yes I do use one for crankbaits and buzz baits and spinnerbaits. You dont have to use them but I like to have one for those times when you need a faster retrieve and dont want to wear your arm out reeling.
youngster57
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Youngster, Is the 7:1 not too fast for those applications? You sound knowledgeable so I'm not going to pick on you too much :tongue:

But it amazes me at the people who want nothing but the fastest ratio that they can fine... "My 8:1's better than your 5:1" is a common phrase.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:57 am

CURADO! CURADO! CURADO!

greatest reel on the earth. hands down. me or my dad have owned just about every reel out there. the curado is the best for the money. :thumbsup:

ABU Garcia is ok. they dont fit as comfortable in the hand. ive had some problems with them.

i wouldnt get a 7:1. thats too fast.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby DC KILLER » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:34 pm

im a spinnin reel man....pinnacle extant or shimano. 5:2:1 gear ratio 9 bearings. cant beat the extant for the price
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:18 pm

This is what I am gonna tell you. If you have access to an Academy go there and buy a Pinnacle reel if not go with the Shimano for low profile and Ambassador for high profile
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:51 am

greenster wrote :Why Do you need a 7:1? I cant think of any freshwater species that that would be optimal for.

that ratio is good for jigs and soft plastics when pictching and flipping. if you fish in thick stuff, like i do, you need something to get them out quick. what about burning a spinnerbait on top too?
there are a bunch of applications for a high-speed reel.
bayouboy
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:51 am

well, ive got a 5:1 and it pushes a buzzbait perfectly. i can understand the jig thing. thats not a bad idea. but i wouldnt reccomend that for a all-around reel. its a little too fast for even spinnerbaits. or you'll just be reeling in slow motion.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby bayouboy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:42 am

i agree, i'm just saying there are applications for it as for other reels.
bayouboy
hunter

Return to Fishing