Crappie fishing at night???

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Crappie fishing at night???

Postby mtduckhunter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:59 pm

im going to try crappie fishing at night. what kind of bait and rigs should i use? what depth of water should i fish in this time of year? :help: :help:
mtduckhunter
hunter

Postby rivertrash » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:04 am

Hi, mtduckhunter. Don't know about your are, but up here in Kansas when the spawn is on we hang Coleman lanterns from tree branches close to the banks in about three feet of water. We like to use minnows under a cork. The bite at night seems to come and go, like schools swim in and out all night long. If we don't take a boat, we set our lanterns on the edge of the bank and fish the same way. Good Luck.
rivertrash
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:23 pm

im no expert crappie fisherman but my advice would be the same. lanterns in about 6ft of water is the way ive always done it. and we used shiners. puttin out a few yoyos around ya aint a bad idea either
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Are you ready to get your butt kicked in that tournament this weekend mtduckhunter? :rofl: :rofl:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby TNT » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:04 pm

get a fish light for the water. The light will have to set for a while to atract bait fish and a little while longer for the crappie to show.Sometimes this can take up to an hour for us at times, but when the fishing is good its awsome. Use a slip bobber so you can very the depth and don't fish right on top of the light you need to be 3 - 6 ft from it . I use minnows but the depth veries from time of year, water temp and lake to lake , and state to state.Ask your local fisherman at the bait shop what depths they are catching them at prferibly the older ones they seem to tell the truth more and are not so worried about people catching all the fish they have caught plenty in there day is always what they tell me.

P.S. They may even let you in on a honey hole they know about if you realy nice and polite. I know this from exp.
Lead to little, get a cripple. Lead to much, no such luck. Lead just right, duck for dinner tonight.
TNT
hunter

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:55 pm

you could also try a slip rig rigged about two feet down and wiing itdown the bank and slowly retrieve it prefer to use glow bait holder hooks with a glow stick on the bobber so you can see the bite.
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Postby 919QuackerStacker » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:17 am

same as tnt with the floating fish light from a boat but use jig heads with no float with small minnows hooked through the lip and a small glow stick on the end of the pole in the river from the bank hang lanterns as said above with a lighted float if you cant see the regular float from the lake bank use a tire intertube with a milk crate or bread crate tied to the tube with bunjees with your duck hunting waders wade out and place the battery in the crate and put the fish light in the water and anchor with a cinder block more work and not quite as affective as lanterns or fish lights from the boat but it will still work
shoot first ask questions later
919QuackerStacker
hunter

Return to Fishing