Bow Fishing Advice/Questions

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON

Bow Fishing Advice/Questions

Postby Broozer5 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:49 pm

So I am going to be setting up my bow for some bow fishing this summer. I have a PSE Bruin.
First question, Will a Whisker Biscuit work for a rest while bow fishing?
Does anybody prefer a certain kind of reel for bow fishing? (like the one that bottles up the live VS. a spincast reel).
Do you use any sort of sights, or just eyeball it?
Any other advice would be great, thanks,
Ryan
You're still a sh*t Sandwich...Just not a soggy one.
Broozer5
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:41 pm

The only way a whisker biscuit will work is if you use safety slides. I would not use any kind of site other than a epoxy rest if your tying to the back of the arrow. I personally tie to the back, you will get mixed emotions on this from others. When it comes to reels I will choose spincast 99 percent of the time. Main reason being speed. We fish a lot of tournaments and getting fish in the boat as quick as possible can mean the difference between winning and loosing. The retriever will do a fine job but not as quickly or as effeciently. I pick the retriever for shooting gator gar and thats the only time unless I was going to be going after sharks. No sights, its more of a hand eye coordination. Most of your shots are going to be fairly close to you so sights arent needed. For any more info Id need more info like are you gonna be shooting day or night, from the boat or bank. You can also check out bow.fishingcountry.com
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Broozer5 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:31 pm

Smackaduck- I was looking at that site that you linked, and it was saying that if you use a spincast reel to not use a saftey slide because it is dangerous. I was thinking about getting a spincast, but not so sure now, what do you think?
You're still a sh*t Sandwich...Just not a soggy one.
Broozer5
hunter

Postby arkansaskiller » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:33 am

I have been bow fishing for about 4yrs and the only way I would go is ams reel and safty slides. They are by far the safest way to go there are no buttons to push or line to watch for. The reel is a little more expensive but it is worth it in the long run.
BOOM..."whered that duck come from?"
arkansaskiller
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:56 am

Thats the kind of comments I mentioned that you would receive. The spincast is MORE dangerous if you use the safety slides, reason being is because if you tie to the back with the spincast and attempt to draw without pushing the button the arrow will get pulled off the string, however with the safety slides you can draw all the way back and then release and thats where problems occure with snap back. Another problem that causes snap back is the rest when you tie to the back . You cant have any kind of rest that the line can hang on. Thats why I reccommend if tying to the back with either reel to use an epoxy rest or just shoot off the shelf.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Fishing