Electrofishing

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Electrofishing

Postby jeff_osu » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 pm

So much fun. I entered the wildlife degree option with duck and quail in mind, but fisheries mgmt. would be a lot of fun.

It had to be soul-crushing for a few anglers who had been fishing a spot (they had left about 5 minutes earlier) see us come through and shock up 4-6 lb. bass right where you would expect them.

Anyone done this, or been lucky enough to have it as a job duty?
jeff_osu
hunter

Postby jumping jasper » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:34 pm

We had our local ponds all tested (very cool). Its nice to know the big ones are in there. It also helped us make some managment decisions, let keeping (culling) All the crappie and bass under 12" to produce more big fish for catch and release. I think any wildlife or fishing job would be great. Good luck to you. :thumbsup:
jumping jasper
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:06 pm

I have a lot of friends in fisheries - and have been around my share of electrofishing and other means, but I do know after a while even they don't ENJOY it - not right after ice out when they're on the water for 9 days straight or more for a study.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby HunterX » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:48 pm

I feel ya on that Kiskadinna, don't mix your hobbies w/ your job, you'll get tired of it sooner or later.
HunterX
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:33 am

I've been a couple of times, I feel that these guys and gals down herein the fisheries lover there job. KISK But it doesn't exactly get too cold down here very often... and hardly ever will a lake freeze.

good weather in winter... Not like Florida good but average temp must be in the 40's.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Kiskadinna » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:48 pm

Oh yeah - I'm sure that plays a part. One of my buddies will take his wife on the water as a sort of vacation every once in a while. I'm not saying they don't love their job because everyone i know in Nat Res loves what they do - my wife is in the field most days of the week and she loves it, but it's always a bit better when the conditions are favorable.
Some of the best parts of my job are outside - I've guided for canoeing and rock climbing a fair amount of times. Even that can test one's patience - and its about that time i wish I had gone into sciences for hopes that I could at least be ALONE.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby fishfurlife » Thu May 01, 2008 9:36 pm

Last edited by fishfurlife on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:22 am

While working with a friend a few years back while working towards my degreey we were doing some surveys with backpack shocking equipment on the Madison River here in SW MT. A guide and his client walked up and the guide started to give us crap about few fish and no big fish in the river. I had the shocker on my back and when we started up again I stuck the pole under the bank and a brown trout in the 5-6lb class came shooting up out of the water about 2 feet. The look on the guide and his clients face was priceless. He quickly left.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:29 pm

I've done it, but not in lakes yet. I intern with our wildlife agency which also includes fishing. All I've done so far are small streams. My question for you jeff is did you shock any frogs? Those are my favorite, we don't net them but to see all their legs streched out and stiff, I can't help but laugh.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Fishing